Share opinion of the new jackhammer

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Armchair, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Armchair

Has anyone tried out the jackhammer since the patch?

Is there any reason at all to use it over the regular shotguns, or is it still the jokehammer?
    • Up x 1
  2. Vinyasa

Trialed it this afternoon.
    Still terrible.
  3. Garrett24789P

i acutally find it pretty good now, it still kills in 2 shots in cqc like any normal shotgun(even with the lowered damage), but now it can be used for medium ranges too. i do feel it can be tweaked a little bit more like maybe lower the spread from 2.5 to say 2.0 or even 1.5, that would make it a very unique and powerful shotgun.
  4. Epoch/Eep

seemed good i really enjoyed using it. got a headshot at 15m and ripped through nearly all 1v1s in a biolab fight.
    the secondary fire is still a bit pointless though. It seems to have been slowed down to make it just an automatic fire or 3 rounds instead of a burst. I did much better with it than when i used it in beta and felt it to be pretty strong at 5/10m where it was sub 5m previously.

Id love to see tests with the Sweeper in comparison though. If all the JH brings to the table it the burst fire mode then its not worth buying. If the extended range and grouping is better than the sweeper it makes it worth buying.
  5. Bambolero

Still on the fence but only because i didn't get a chance to properly test it, game is unplayable for me atm (hitching like a mo fo).
    From what I saw it was okay at the range I wanted to test it at ( 10-20m ), was doing some damage, a 3 shot burst was enough to splat people at close range.
    So with extended mag ( makes it 10 shot per clip I think? ) and in burst mode you get to gib 3 people at close range which leaves you a single shell in the mag for a fast reload, etc.
    Since our CQC Lmgs lick the competition balls I'm hoping for the JH to be my new and final CQC weapon but yeah, need more testing after they sort the performance issues.

I want to test it on a static friendly next time just so I can see what kind of damage it does on the exact ranges I'm interested in, which is anything between 5-25.
  6. Novmiech

I got what seemed like 1 shot by it today then dude right behind me got seemingly 1 shot by it today. Blam Blam *double kill*

Was refreshing since the last time I got killed by a JH was they day it was released in beta (not because it was good, just because everyone wanted to try it).
  7. Hordak

Loving the new changes. I was already pretty good with it (course I liked piston more) but was able to handle myself well. It def has the JH feel to it now. Before it felt weird it felt not right even though you could kill with it ....it just had a really weird feel to it. Now it feels so gooooood :D.

I think it looks better too but the whole game also looks better in general.

*Feels like the legendary weapon it is
    *Looks great
    *Longer range before drop off
    *Confirmed more dmg per bullet then other shotguns (via tweet) even though the in game stat shows less. It is more per pellet.

Hethow gives it a Thumbs up!
  8. Bambolero

It's only more per pellet at it's minimum damage range, 90 vs 60 of the shotguns, at least according to a dev post few days ago.
    I don't use or follow twitter.
    What was said there and by whom?
  9. Hordak

I was wrong it was a dev post I read: One note, the Jackhammer already does 90 damage at range, per pellet, compared to the 60 damage at range of all other shotguns. The damage buff that some people are asking for was already there, the critical flaw was bad accuracy at range was nullifying that extra damage.

Still more is more. Damage falls off at a longer range now and I def can tell the difference. Soon as servers go back up I'm gonna go on a JH rampage. Look at the pellet spread now on a wall......it's great.
  10. Vreki

But does it fire the same amount of pellets as the other shotguns?
  11. baratol

got it yesterday and really didnt get chance to fire it at anything,
  12. Quor

Spent around two hours using the JH today. My feelings regarding it now are best described as "Could be worse."

I was able to get kills. I was able to get kill streaks. If I played smart, to the strengths of the gun, I typically outmatched similar situations (for instance, engies or LA's with shotguns in CQC, but that's partially because I'm a heavy and resist shield). But there were a number of times I got the drop on people and ended them quickly and efficiently, 2-4 rounds per person depending on range.

The improved range is noticeable, and the tighter spread is as well. I didn't feel useless engaging stuff at medium range. It's still not something you'd take over an LMG, but you can at least lay down a bit of cover fire for your squad mates as they advance forward, and know that said cover fire is actually making the enemy take cover.

The extended magazine continues to be the only viable choice, so no surprises there. The killing power felt at least on par with the common pool shotguns, only with greater effective range.

So if the JH was a 2/10 before, it's now maybe a 6.5/10. It performs it's role, and it does it markedly better than it has before. It still has its limitations, but if you figure the EM6 is maybe an 8 or a 9 in terms of overall usefulness, the JH has made some real improvements.

It still lacks in spare ammo, and it's noticeable. If that's intended then I guess it's intended, but I'd like to at LEAST see another 14 rounds total (so you could go extended mag and have 10 in the gun with 40 rounds in reserve). Of course, some extra attachment options would be great, but the same could be said of all HA weapons.

Interesting anecdote; I fought a VS heavy using the Lasher, at the threshold between medium and short range (about 15m or so) and, using the normal mag (didn't have EX mag unlocked yet) I lost and the VS heavy had around 1/2 his total life left. Consider both of us were ADADA spamming in about equal measure I could easily see how the spread on the JH was much tighter than it previously was, simply because of the number of headshot near-misses I had.
  13. Deavonere

Still much worse then Piston, but better than it was. With extended magazine it can be useful, but to be honest it seems like it was designed for a masochist.
  14. Ailin

Holy ****, this thing guzzles ammo like a *****. I can do decent with it, but run out of ammo in no time. I had to unload like an entire clip into another heavy with a shield, which is just insane seeing as you barely have reload available...
  15. Vreki

I played around with it a bit today, and it seems pretty useless when compared to the Mauler. I feel like I have to use twice the amounts of shot to kill anything.
    It is better at range, but thats not why I got a shotgun.
  16. Armchair

Looking through these responses, it seems that the jackhammer can be summed up with the following:

It is a shotgun. You can kill people with it like with the regular shotguns. It is generally outperformed by the regular shotguns and a HA has no real incentive to use the jackhammer over the other shotguns.
  17. ladiesop

I tried it for a bit and wasn't really impressed. Close up, it seems worse than a regular shotgun, and further out I feel like any of the LMGs (and even the new SMG) would have done better.
  18. Nature

Needs slugs. Badly. Situational weapon for a class that has no jetpacks is not good. And cant comprehend the idiotic burst fire that doesnt help you at all.
  19. Cookiepiledriver

Could you post pictures of it? My machine is somehow incapable of showing the pellet spread, or any kind of physics/aesthetics related to marks on the wall.

If you do, thank you in advance.

As for the topic: It's.. OK, but I'd much rather have the higher damage shotguns at shorter range, since you require at least one more shot for heavies at close range and that will more than often get you killed, since the TTK at that point is in the LMG range.
  20. Takoita

IMHO all heavy specials should be moved to the tool slot, it will solve some of the problems.
    • Up x 1