[Suggestion] Separate Flak Armor from Suit Slot

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Obstruction, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Obstruction

just as it says on the tin. complaints about explosions are rampant, and yet players rarely make use of Flak Armor because it is inferior to other choices in Suit Slot when it comes to infantry play overall.

therefore; much as Sunderer AMS was separated from Utility Slot, i suggest moving Flak Armor up to a Universal: Passive status. the cert costs are fine, but we should pay for it once and have it always active on all infantry classes, while still being able to equip the popular suit slot choices.

if handled correctly, in concert with some subtle resistance type adjustments, offering this to players could solve many common complaints about common sources of explosive damage, including but not limited to Dalton, Shredder, C-75 Viper, and one-hit-kill Heavy Assault Rockets.

depending on results, this could also allow developers more room to roll back unpopular damage reductions and rebalance the vehicle metagame without having to worry as much about the effect it has on infantry. specifically i'm looking at how watered down MBTs have become in general.
  2. Foxirus

No, This would entirely break the use of AI mines. Flak is 50% less damage from ALL explosive damage, It is too powerful to not be its own choice of armor type.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ripshaft

I'm really not sure how you're actually able to entertain this as a good idea.

The reason not many people pick it and still complain is that their complaints are ill founded whinings and they know it. The other options are vastly more attractive because you barely ever run into explosive damage being a significant contributor to your death.... people just sound slightly more stupid when they whine about bullets is all.

Not that it stops them... so long as they can differentiate the bullets based on the weapon or weapon type they don't seem to find shame in complaining about that either.
  4. JKomm

The only way I see this happening is if flak armour was nerfed, simply because if it was a separate cert from Suit slot then almost everyone will run with it. This will make AP mines utterly ineffective unless buffed against flak armour. In that case, flak would lose one of its main purposes.

You can't really give everyone a resistance factor to a damage type, in the end those weapons that deal that damage get buffed, or the resistance is nerfed. Then we're back at square one. However I WOULD be all for some sort of... lets call it a Sub Suit Slot, that allows the addition of another suit slot but only one level of it. The Sub Suit Slot would be a passive cert costing well over 1000.
    • Up x 1
  5. XXBLACKATTACKXX

No
    Flak armor already makes explosives near useless. I find it horrible that a person can survive a He shell going off a foot away.
    I would like it removed entirely, but I know that that is not going to happen.
  6. Brenold

the game is war, with tanks, planes, bombs and grenades. shouldn't you expect explosions, and more importantly expect to die from them?

how is flak armor inferior to other choices? if it allows you to survive the explosions everyones complaining about, that sounds like a sizeable bonus.

nanoweave will let you take an extra bullet or two, and if it saves you 1v1 you still are almost dead and will die from the next guy who comes up. ASC will occasionally keep you fighting longer if you take cover well but does not give you any additional resistance or health... how are they superior?