[BUG] Sensor Shield 5 half works!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ChUnKiFieR, Jul 17, 2018.

1. ChUnKiFieR

The implant states, "Your radar signature no longer appears on detection devices outside of 15 meters, and you will no longer be highlighted by Thermal or IRNV at any time." Ahem, players no longer show up on Thermal. It was patched out quite a while back remember? So how are you going to make this implant worthy of any use? I suggest removing it and instituting ISO refunds.
  2. JibbaJabba

Bruh. It still works against IRNV.
    It also works against the ultra-rare Infra Vision implant.....very effectively.

Explain again how it's not working?
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

That's because it's a fight we've lost a long time ago.
    Don't expect refunds because they're too rare to happen to think that they'll ever happen.
    If the fluff text is noticed, it'll just be modified.
  4. GoldenGuard

Yeah, I came back to PlanetSide after about 2 years to see a few changes, implants don't cost energy anymore (yay never used it because I was saving the energy for when I needed it), light assaults rocklet rifle and ambushed jump jets (it's now my favourite class to play), base building (still need to learn about choosing a good location).

But what I was supprised to find out was that thermals don't detect infantry, something that I liked to do was toss a smoke grenade and use my assult rifle with the thermal scope to clear out enemies while they couldn't see... First got back and tried to use this tactic I thought everyone was running sensor shield for some reason or it was a bug.

Now can someone tell me, what good is a thermal scope on a assult rifle? I sure as hell can't damage a tank with it
  5. JobiWan

It's removed on PTS anyway. They call it 'cold suit' and that rank 5 perk is for some weird reason being moved to a different implant, with a different, as-yet-undecided rank 5 perk for sensor shield.

Given that I used a lot of ISO-4 to get to rank 5, I'm not too chuffed.
    • Up x 1
  6. Liewec123

Doku's SMGS have thermal scopes that highlight infantry. ;)
    (Not sure if they're called thermals but they use the blue and yellow scheme of the vehicle thermal optics)
  7. Luicanus

Don't be rude, he was pointing out that the Thermal Optics on vehicle mounted weapons were not the only source of thermal vision.

The Implant and infantry gun sights are still somewhat common.

It's especially good if you're running IRNV scopes and smoke grenades, anyone using thermals to look back at you would still be blind while you can see through the smoke with ease.

Now, a for your suggestion that it be removed and refunded, HELL NO! I already have every implant and almost all of them at lvl 5. What do I need with another 4000 ISO-4? Especially given its other characteristics still make it an awesome implant.

I wish people would try and think of solutions beyond just removing things it's boring and lazy, and then I have to do the leg work coming up with ideas.

Case in point, the wording is such that it could plausibly be interpreted as hiding vehicles from Threat Detection optics, I'm pretty certain it doesn't but it could.

Now, that would be a bit OP if extended to everything so how about this, it covers the flash Flash, probably the Harasser, maybe ESFs too, and probably not the Lightning. Definitely not everything else.

If the Harasser and Lightning are too much totally obscured maybe half the distance at which they can be seen by Threat Detection?
    • Up x 1
  8. Luicanus

Ok, I think you have a misconception here, the scopes on infantry weapons are called IRNV (Infra Red Night Vision) those can still see infantry as well as vehicles.

What was changed was the Thermal Optic on vehicle mounted weapons, that was renamed Threat Detection and blocked from seeing infantry heat signatures in a bid to reduce HE farming (it was of dubious success in that effort).

There are a few instances where weapons that really should have retained their anti-infantry detection lost it under Threat Detection chiefly the Kobalt, which as you say can only ping most vehicles (like an AR) personally If I was a Dev I'd have kept the Kobalt and maybe the Basilisk using the old Thermal Optics.
  9. That_One_Kane_Guy

Please, please tell me you can see the problem with this statement. Otherwise a rather unflattering parallel to Austrian nobility and pastry is coming to mind...

Frankly they probably could have left Thermals on Ground vehicles without to big of an issue. To my knowledge it was mainly aircraft that were the problem. Vehicles mostly just spam HESH at chokepoints as it stands so I doubt a bit of extra visibility would change things very much. If anything it would make this "Cold Suit" more appealing, since there currently don't seem to be enough IR users for such a thing to be very useful.
  10. YellowJacketXV

Having sensor shield block you on HS/NV and IR scopes for weapons already is a huge boon. The fact it blocks an overpowered, rare implant is just icing on the cake. Personally, however, I would prefer it if Sensor Shield just prevented you from showing up on any form of motion detector completely. 15m Essentially only locks you out from showing up on scout radar and very long range motion detection. You still have to crouch walk with motion darts if you're within 15m, aka EVERY ENCOUNTER EVER if the other team has an infiltrator.
  11. Luicanus

You seem to have overlooked the rest of my comment there. The point about me not needing an extra 4000 ISO-4 was to demonstrate that a refund wasn't a win-win suggestion, I and presumably a large percentage of the other paying players would get screwed hard by the move.
    It might not be the smartest idea to piss off your most valuable players especially since as I pointed out removing content is the least satisfying and laziest suggestion. Modifications and adaptations of the existing system both maintain continuity and don't alienate those who keep the game afloat.

With the performance issues that have emerged over the past few weeks/months I'm already on the verge of swearing off paying in any more money. Getting shafted by another poorly conceived change [refering to the Thermals to Threat Detection without Cert refund] would put another nail in that coffin.

Agreed, it was mostly Libs and ESFs with their excessively long vision while using Thermals, I used it on my HEAT and AP lightning and it was valuable but I'm not sure I'd call it game breaking.
  12. Luicanus

I'm pretty sure that Motion spotters get up to 50m radius spheres. If people see the spotter and don't see detections they'll assume they're in the clear and let their guard down. A skilled/highly aware player can take advantage of that assumed safety to get a lot of kills.
    Making them totally immune would be a hard counter, which given it already gets the hard counter against Thermal vision would be a bit OP.