Semi-auto Shotguns - Then and now?? Help please

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Knarfis, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Knarfis

So I have been thinking of getting a shotgun to help out in close quarter combat as it seem like the logical choice see that so many do the same thing for the most part. Also, a single purchase of a shotgun arms both of my classes I mainly play. At the time I was looking at either the Sweeper or the Piston

I was advised not to purchase either of those shotguns till after the patch as there were going to be changes, with the assumption that the pump action and the auto was going to get the brunt of these changes. My advisers mentioned that the auto, though a great gun, was going to get a heavy change as it was quite a bit overpowered to its semi-auto brethren. The assumption was that the auto shotgun was going to get a RoF change and a reload change as well. Again, assumptions.

Well the changes have come to us now and they where across the board as mentioned vaguely. I am still interested in the Semi-auto shotgun but I just cant see it being worth its while out on the battle field with so many attributes against it. Its RoF was slowed for some reason, its reload time was slowed for some reason, and its reload time is slower then the Auto Shotgun as well which doesnt make much sense either. There seems to be no redeeming qualities for the Semi-auto shotguns as they sit now and as they did before the changes.

I ask the fellow community for some help here. Is my understanding of the Semi-auto shotguns incorrect? Are they worth looking into still and being purchased. Or are the days of the Semi-auto done for, replaced by the pump action and the Auto shotgun?? I do not want to make a bad choice in my purchase and its hard to find any good information between on these guns. I tried to look up other information on them in the forums and found some info that is outdated.

Thanks for your help

Knarfis
  2. WUNDER8AR

First and foremost, I used my Nighthawk (fully auto equivalent) yesterday after the update and it still works just fine. Same with the Uppercut (pump action), although it more often took two hits to kill a foe, but that was more likely due to my aim being a bit off.
    The nerf really didn't make that much of a difference.

As for semi-autos: The slightly longer reload time isn't a big deal really. You also get a larger mag, which furthermore increases your spray and pray capabilities. The greater ammo pool (compared to the auto shotties) is also a nice thing. And the ROF is still easily good enough to kill somebody within the blink of an eye. Then you also have a slightly tighter spread than the auto-shotties, which gives you a little bit more range, and at the same time you basically maintain the same killing potential than an auto-shotty up close. I'd personally use a semi-auto over my auto-shotty if I had the SC/ certs left. Imo the only thing that speaks for using an auto-shotty is that it is easier to use vs multiple targets. If you're having trouble with landing hits while doing single shots it's probably the better choice. What will likely get you in trouble though, is that you have to reload a lot and that you likely run out of ammo rather quick when you just hold down the trigger.
  3. Clutchstep

I haven't put in a ton of time on GU06, but IMO on paper the nerfs to the shotguns are pretty minor. Unless you have really bad aim, the overall shots to kill are the same; the TTK just got nerfed a bit but its still extremely low if you get the drop on your enemy. But really, they're all very similar, so if you're set on getting a shotgun you'll probably be happy with any of them. It's really just a matter of personal preference as to whether you want auto-fire or if you'd rather have a bit tighter spread and a bigger clip.

Also, keep slugs in mind. The semi-autos are better for slugs, because auto fire is useless at range with the shotguns (and in CQC you're better off with pellets). So for slugs you're just trading a bigger clip for faster reloads, and IMO the bigger clip is better there. Personally, I have the auto-shotgun and use slugs a lot, and wish that I'd bought the semi-auto instead.
  4. Zaik

I'm assuming they're done nerfing pump action shotguns, definitely buy one. It seems that they want them to be completely superior to the semiauto shotguns at every range except for this tiny sliver of space inbetween 6 and 8 meters where you can get a two shot kill with the 6 mag semiauto before the pump shotgun gets it's second shot.
  5. Marked4Death

This ^
    If they don't nerf the pumps further they would seem to be the obvious choice now.
  6. Knarfis

Thank you both for the information you have given here. It makes my choice to stay with my original plan on purchasing the Sweeper that much easier with both of your testimonies. The clip size has always been the biggest reason for going after the Sweeper instead of the Piston. I have done tests with both of them and it seems that I am out of ammo both in my mags and in stowage very quickly with the auto shotty. Not saying its a bad gun at all it just eats through ammo like its going out of style. I did not know that the semi-auto's had a tighter spread on the pellets over the other guns. This makes the decision easier as well.

Again thank you for your help

Knarfis