Seize the Day - a Gameplay Cinematic.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by P4nda, Feb 2, 2015.

1. P4nda

I decided to try my hand once again at making a Planetside 2 Cinematic, because this game and it's community never cease to amaze me. I don't have Observer Cam so filming videos that are on the production level of Lil babs and company is close to impossible - therefore I decided to take a different approach and film a cinematic video from the first perspective, in combat.

The gamestyle/play variety in this game is great. From pulling sundy convoys, to gal dropping on points, to MAX crashes, to SCU holds/pushes, to infantry foot zergs across Hossin - to armor columns meeting head to head. PS2 really does deliver. (I promise ESF aces will get some love in the next video!!)

I partake and contribute as best as I can (without a HUD) during Outfit Ops with ECL, Outfit-X, DPSO, HO5P and BRAC. This is the first time I've filmed and edited something like this and I feel it went pretty smooth, but I have plenty more new ideas for my next project (Like learning to properly encode my video files while recording...). I found that filming this project without a HUD and still trying to play as well with one on was my biggest hurdle, but I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to experience a totally different feel for the game. During Ops it's a little easier I suppose because locations and orders are always relayed over comms, so your squad members can act as your ears in a sense.

Anyways, let me know what you think?
    • Up x 5
  2. Kentucky Windage

Righteous stuff P4nda. Very nice!!
  3. Thardus

Beautiful. I could watch tracer fire in large scale PS2 battles all day.
  4. NinjaKirby

I ******' love player made Cinematic vids! That was awesome OP, got some goosebumps.

The music was well suited, and the direction of the Video to match the music pace was good, as usual cutting between scenes on major rhythmic beats always goes down well. I just have 3 minor (intended to be constructive) points I'd like to make:

1) I have bad Internet speed, but I'm sure I've seen better quality Video compression used at 480p for PS2 before on YouTube. It was certainly watchable, but the artifacting here was more then usual at this Resolution which spoiled the awesome visuals. Whether it's post process, initial capture, or maybe just YouTube being an ******* with it's compression on this occasion, it's a shame it looked a bit more muddy at this standard definition then usual. (I'm sure someone will love to bash me for this, I realise 720p/1080p is available with no doubt better quality visuals, but I'm just saying the Standard Def is a bit sub-par with what I expected).

2) I think the voice chat needed a little more rebalancing against music volume at some points, I love hearing the voice comms of the operations (puts more "Human" into the 3D Game world), and sometimes it was a little too drowned out in my opinion.

3) Near the beginning Text overlay was used, and I found myself missing a line when the Galaxy's were soaring from the WG because tbh it was an awesome visual, but was too distracted to read the text which was displayed for (only?) 4 seconds. Text on black backgrounds interleaved can be painfully slow though, so to be fair you probably chose the better option.

I probably sound like I'm bashing your video; I loved the video, I'm merely labelling a few small aspects that may well be out of your control or just something I uniquely experienced :)
  5. P4nda

Thanks a lot, I definitely do agree :)

First off, thank you SO much for the enthusiastic response. I do not monetize my videos as I want to keep my hobbies separate from my "work" (I feel a work of love is always better than a work of necessity) and comments like these are what have me coming back to make more videos.

With that being said, you're definitely right. And I can't figure out WHY my videos come out like that. I've signed up to 2 video editing forums that are very popular and no one can seem to help me out. I capture lossless with a Lagarith codec (huge file sizes, massive bitrates), then import the files into Vegas for editing. For rendering I've tried encoding with H.264, MJPEG-4 and finally I've even tried rendering it out lossess again (which takes like 5 hours to upload to YT) and all 3 give me the same overall quality when it's processed. Hell I've even played around with bit rates and I've uploaded a 150,000 bps video and still the same thing. From what I've read this makes absolutely no sense and It's frustrated me beyond belief to see Lilbabs, Waffles etc videos come out beautiful and as stunning as they are. If you can help me out or offer advice if you know much about this then that would be extremely awesome. It must be the youtube compression because the completed project video looks stunning quality-wise.
    That specific video file was a lossless H.264 with a bitrate of 150,000. Weird huh?

I've learned my lesson on this one, heh. I realized that Bandicam has a feature that lets you save 2 audio inputs as seperate files - after I was said and done recording. So unfortunately for this project the comms were captured together with the in-game audio which as you pointed out, drowns it out completely. Duly noted.

Fair enough. I assumed it would have been enough time but clearly the amount of caffeine I was consuming while editing this maybe.. tweaked my judgement.
  6. Mooveoverbrt

Excellent video P4nda!! Watching is just sums up why I love this game, it's truly unique (the game and community).
    • Up x 1
  7. TechMechMeds

That was amazing and should be the actual game intro i reckon.

That is also why i run engi, not just for cert gain and force multiplying but because i like to watch the glorious carnage going on around me.