Scout Rifles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Huntsman-, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Wobberjockey

i use the artemis with foregrip+supressor for close in work. generally i will use a 2x reflex or 3.4x scope on it.
    (i habitually scope in, and i almost never hipfire. a bad rogue spear induced habit)

i find this works pretty well and i'll win a fair number of 1v1 fights. if i catch the target by surprise, or from behind, i'll usually kill them before they turn around.
  2. Deschain

Using Artemis +grip+suppressor+2x reflex also, will swap to irnv scope for night fighting medium range, and Parallax +12x for longshot duty. Find it alot of fun but a bit lacking in clip size and would prefer a 30round clip on the scout and an extra 50 rounds on the ammo storage.

Out of curiosity anyone got ideas for suit/ability choices for close combat, currently running Hunter cloak+Nano Weave.
  3. pnkdth

I still prefer the hunter cloak, grenade bandolier, and proxy mines. With the suppressor people are likely to go "WTF?" and if they see you, why not reward their hard work with a mine? Maxed out the nano-armor cloak does mitigate a lot more but I always find it is better to have those extra seconds cloaked setting up the ambush, additionally, the nan-armor has such a short duration.

I prefer the nano-armor when I move with squads rather than going in with a sharp blade.
  4. Nehemia

First, Shadow has high damage per bullet (2x head shots = Kill), it has low recoil, the bullet velocity is above average, and the weapon is efficient at least up to 80 meters, afterwards it begins to lose damage. Perhaps you cannot kill anything with it, but I'm rocking the gun with 3.4x sights. And I am to assume the bullet velocity is low because you put an silencer on it. And sniper rifles are relatively weak at shorter ranges. The whole point of Scout rifles is to allow Infiltrators to actually do their job, and Shadow is an extremely versatile weapon, if you know how to account the bullet drops and recoil. It also is capable of firing 2 shots in 1 second, so the TTK is extremely low. Pistols are an side-arm, and Shadow work as fine in CQC as well, if you go Sniper and pistol, your sniper becomes inefficient almost immediately, and pistol does not replace Shadow + sidearm clip.

It definitely ain't the beginners weapon, but that doesn't make it weak.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12

You can check the actual STAT FACTS from over there.

5. Humbucker

I spent 40 euro to find this out. The class is quite simply broken and can be beaten by any other class in almost any scenario. Even at long range I get owned by other classes while I'm too suppressed to fire back and stealth is useless once anyone competent knows your general location.
    Scout rifles are useless once you get fired on, they jump around and you miss every shot even at close range. Really dissapointed with the state of the infiltrator
  6. Sevre

I've already advocated the semi>auto, but my biggest concern with scout rifles may be due to the current design of the infiltrator -- more specifically the visibility of cloak.

Incoming anecdotal evidence, but last night I was tearing it up at Arroyo tower on Indar. I actually had 2 face-to-face encounters that ended in my favor, ended up getting 10 or so kills in about 15 minutes, killed a lightning with a hacked turret, several other players when I hacked them out of their turret, etc.

What I realized was that I was having the best infiltrator experience in a single life I've had so far. It probably took me as much time to get into the tower as the amount of time I spent in the tower, but it was so enjoyable -- I really was laughing when people in a turret would pop out after I hacked it, looking bewildered and dead. But I came to the conclusion that I was having such a successful time because there were only like 5 total people around/in the tower.

Conclusion: My success was due to the lack of a large, nor medium, heck not even a small enemy force -- it was a TINY enemy force. Because there were so few people I could easily get kills, then give them the slip when they attempted to find me.

Now I've seen people say in other threads that as an infil you should look for small or medium sized enemy forces to be successful, so this begs the question: What's the point of a class that only successfully accomplishes its role against SMALL forces in a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game.
  7. Zak Preston

This is my post I've recently written about semi-auto rifles for Infil, bit now I'd like to add some fresh impressions

So! I really liked Ghost with foregrip and 4x scope for mid-range engagements: blasts with 2 headshots heavy troopers. That's really sick =) IMHO for now semi-auto rifles are not suited for long-range sniping at all.
    But the real invention for me was Ghost (bolt-action CQB sniper rifle): kills with one headshot, very precise, quite silent with suppressor. It's a real beast! The main idea of this rifle is to ambush an unaware opponent with one headshot then vanish and reposition yourself. It's not capable for assaulting the base solo, but in distances of 30-100m it tears apart anything that is not a vehicle or Max.
  8. ghnurbles

I gave the Artemis a go, to see if my thoughts on might have changed since I tried it in beta/since I got the hang of the Nyx. They haven't - the semi-automatics are simply better than the automatics for CQC work. Don't try and use the semi-autos for long ranges (sniper rifles do better there), slap a suppressor and laser dot on them and pretend they're a carbine.

Hunter + Nano-weave is definitely the way to go - at the moment nano-armor cloak isn't worth using, and you need every scrap of health you can get for CQC.
  9. Wolferk

Okay... I'm placing here STATS FACTS.
    1. One of largest recoil coefficients among the whole list. (1.5) Same as for 4-5 bullets from carbine, or 6-8 bullets from AR but in a single shot. 8 bullets from AR is enough to kill you (it's about 1200 dmg)

2. You have to place headshots you say, but the problem is that HA or LA or CM simply can put cross-hair on you and pull the trigger. Same 1 second or less, you are dead, doesn't require head-sniping in combat. Let's compare it with basic AR combat medics have
    Scout's rate of fire is 231rpm. Gauss rate of fire is 600 rpm.
    Scout's damage is 334. Gauss one is 167.
    So DamPM for scout rifle is 77154, and for gauss is 100200.
    Recoil per shot is 1.5 vs 0.3
    RecPM stat then is 346,5 vs 180.

Recoil you have to handle from Scout Rifle is almost TWICE harder to deal with. And you still have to place headshots, or at least dont miss even a single bullet.
    So you can miss plenty of shots from AR, you are still deadly, and it's very easy to keep on target, during burst.
    As for scout rifle you must click your mouse about 4 times per second, you still lose in damage, you lose and recoil, and you have to sharpshoot. Impossible, what all people do - they reduce temp of fire, to become more precise, and then you start losing even more, because truth is that head could be aimed from ANY kind of weapon, you know? not only from Shadow. And people DO aim to your head.

Going further:
    Ammo clips are 10 vs 30 so the damage you can output before you are to reload is:
    3340 vs 5010. (by the way 3340 is the value for both Scout rifles Semi and FullAuto)
    Empty-clip time of burst is:
    2.7s vs 3s... And 2s for Scout auto. So you run out of ammo faster then your enemy in case of efficient dodging, but he can keep shooting )

And now let's remember about LMG xD. Basic Gauss SAW stats there^
    12525 Damage per clip.
    7,8 sec to empty-clip.

I do not mention shotguns here.

Now lets resume:
    Almost double recoil loss.
    1.5 times damage output loss.
    1.5 times damage per clip loss.
    You can't use ammo, which replaces bullet velocity with exact 600 value.
    And this disadvantages are accumulating in one weapon,
    what IN STATS makes it more then twice worse than any weapon in game.

And for so loved "It's not easy...la-la-la". Yes, of course you still can kill people with THAT, but that's not hardcore, but masochism. It's like you were given a beretta, and an enemy has AK-47. Sure it gives some fun, to win in this case, but the situation must be corrected. Because people with AKs will win much more often than you.

And as for speeches "I usually kill 1-2 people during lifespan", please tell us how many times do you die killing nobody? Seems pretty often for me. Because even 3 times from 10 is really often. As for LA it happens 1 time from 10-15 for me... Sounds fair, right?
    In terms of kill strikes my longest are: 11 for HA, about 7-9 for LA, about 20 for infiltrator (but with a sniper rifle), and 4 with Infiltrator. I do not count Grenades and C4s.
    Hacking all-around? okaaaayy... 25exp per terminal, which is inside of an enemy base, where you could be easily killed.
    80-90 exp per revive for Medic, and you are to be honest in a less risky position first, don't have to look for terminal second (corpses are all-around during base-fight).

So this kind of playing neither fair neither rewarding. It is to be fixed. That's what we are saying
  10. Wolferk

Ah... And to add.
    Compensator could be put on any weapon, but it reduces recoil by one third approximately if you are using any rifle, except semi auto.
    And you call that weapon versatile? :confused: You are kind of straaaaange man. )
  11. Wolferk

And yeah/
    All classes have 500 shield and 500 health, except Infiltrators which have 500 shield and 400 health. This info comes from beta players. So devs owe us a really suitable CQC weapon. Not that trash.

If Shadow had almost no recoil and 650 bullet speed with almost no bullet drop - then it would be interesting. It'll turn into unique mid-range rifle. But right now... =\ I said it all