Scout rifles, my experience with the Nyx vs the Vandal

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Tycon, May 29, 2014.

1. Tycon

I've played with both weapons extensively, and find them very very similar with possibly some future distinctions needed (especially for tr and nc who have even closer versions). The main differences are the vandals 3 extra bullets, .75 ADS speed modifier and hip fire cof while the nyx has higher bullet velocity, faster reload and no bullet drop. the chamber time feels similar)

I would define the vandal as an aggressive weapon designed to abuse its mobility at medium ranges (make sure to compensate for the terrible aimer when moving, where your red dot is not where the bullets come out). The 3 extra bullets will often make a large difference in crowds of enemies but hardly a difference for single targets, the weapon is very loud and makes a distinct ns sound which is really awesome but gives away your position. A compensator works great to increase your dps at greater ranges but doesn't help with concealment very well.

The nyx on the other hand seams to fair better for conservative play, with no bullet drop making this gun possibly the best gun to use a suppressor on. The bullet velocity is already faster than the vandal but no parallax and the damage degradation is very forgiving while mostly retaining its 4 shots to the chest to kill even at extended ranges. This gun excels at hiding in a corner and assassinating targets. Another thing that makes the gun work with the suppressor is firing is virtually silent, even when alone with the volume turned up you can barely hear the gun shoot. Extreme ranges are very manageable with no drop (its noticed on this weapon particularly)

With both said, while play style is a large factor i highly recommend using the nyx over the vandal. While Wrel and other uses expressed their opinion of the vandal being the superior weapon I disagree, as a faction specific scout rifle I feel is slightly superior. They almost feel like the same gun though really. What are your thoughts on the matter
    • Up x 2
  2. Erendil

Excellent review. I agree 100%. First let me just clarify these real quick: The chamber time / RPM is identical between the two weapons. And they both kill with 4 body shots (2 head shots) at any range so long as the target doesn't have Nanoweave.

For the rest, lemme just cut-n-paste my comments from Mustarde's Vandal-in-Action Video Thread: :cool:

[faster bullet + no bullet drop + recoil that goes straight up + faster reloads + superior VS optics] > [.75x ADS + better hipfire + bigger mag].

The .75x multiplier on the Vandal is nice, but its only benefit is to make you a harder target to hit while you're getting shot at. But you're playing infil. IMO if you have to take advantage of that feature than you're already doing something wrong. :p

You should be in a flanking position with cover so you can pop out and observe your target(s) while cloaked, and then decloak and fire only once the enemy is looking in another direction. If you do it right you'll never have the opportunity to benefit from the .x75 multiplier since nobody will have a chance to fire back at you. :D

Oh, and since Semi-auto Scouts like the Nyx have recoil that goes straight up, they don't need a foregrip, so you can equip the laser sight and get better hipfire than a Vandal + grip, or take a flashlight and go infil hunting. :cool:
    • Up x 2