[Suggestion] Scout Rifle for Engineer

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Alphie_SN, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Alphie_SN

I mainly play engineer and my weapon of choice is AMR-66. If I can equip that scout rifle, why can't I equip the HSR-1, SOAS-20 or NS-30 Vandal which are scout rifles as well? I have almost Auraxium my AMR, but I hardly play infiltrator, so Auraxium the other scout rifles is going to be hell. Hey SOE, how about throwing us a bone on this one!

Thanks,
    Alphie
  2. Eternaloptimist

The AMR is a battle rifle and not a scout rifle. It is lumped into the scout rifles directive simply because it is one of a kind.

I agree with you that a selection of BRs, like they have a selection of other weapon classes, would be fun but I'm not sure enough people use BRs yet for it to be worth the work. You'd need at least four BRs per faction and an NS version to have enough for BRs to have their own directive. Maybe the recent buff to BRs is the start of a gradual series of improvements that would lead to a new weapon class in time.

I main engineer myself and if you are interested in auto scouts why not try out some of the wide range of carbines available? they have low recoil and similar damage profile as scouts and are accurate especially with foregrip. If you can get along with the burst variants they are crazy accurate at all ranges. Or try the carbines with single shot selector - they are pretty accurate in single shot mode too. I know the scouts hit harder but a two or three shot burst from a carbine does as much damage, or more, as a shot from a scout rfle
  3. Dualice

As Eternaloptimist says, the battle rifle is indeed a separate weapon to the scout rifle(s), despite all being in the same directive category.

Why three of those guns have to be auraxiumed on a class that can't even use the rewarded weapon... f00k knows.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nerazim

You're in an unfortunate position on this one. I'd say if the DMR is really important to you, then you're gonna have to play infiltrator. In the meantime, I'd switch to something like the T5 AMC if you want to continue to Aurax things when you play Engi, since it's got reach (which I'm guessing you appreciate as a Battle Rifle enthusiast)

I was lucky in that even though I loved the AMR and play a lot of engineer, I also really love infiltrators. Good news is, if you enjoyed playing with the AMR-66 then you'll probably have a blast with the scout rifles - and your cloak and recon tools will come in useful at the cost of being able to hurt vehicles and have ammo.

I found the HSR to be the most annoying to aurax for some reason, so I'd get that one out of the way first.
  5. Alphie_SN

Thanks for the replies everyone. There is just something about the AMR-66 that is pure sexxy to me. I guess since it is semi-auto only, requires good aim and it has a good punch. Since I usually am wrapped in some kind of vehicle, engi is my class of choice, so not being able to Auraxium the other rifles in the directive using my main class sucks. I hear what you are saying Eternaloptimist, that the AMR is not really a scout rifle but a battle rifle. I have never thought of it that way, because it is lumped into the scout rifle directive... But I did find this forum post that basically gripes about the same thing. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps...irective-gives-battle-rifle-as-reward.196257/

@Nerazim, I too hate the HSR. It feels like I am shooting a potato gun compared to my trusty AMR. As a matter of fact, I actually hate most the "scout" rifles.
  6. Nerazim

It's the small mag which really punishes you. Its not as spammable as the amr either, gotta get into a good rhythm with it. Vandel is similar but feels more controllable and has a nice ads movement boost so you dodge shots. Auto scout is just a bad assault rifle but it's usable. Good luck if you decide to go for it, they are challenging weapons but strangely satisfying.

Gotta love the paintball gun sounds they make
  7. FunBotan

I personally don't understand why not to give all scout/sniper rifles to support classes (w8, we already have the archer on engi!).They aren't going to get any OP advantages from that. Not giving snipers to LAs or shotties to infis is surely justified, but many other restrictions seem unnecessary to me.
  8. InfernoKoV

This is why it's listed under weapon directives, not class.
  9. InfernoKoV

Oh come on, Infiltrator is probably the most fun if you use it right. Max out the Grenade Bandolier cert and unlock the EMP grenades and also max out your motion spotter (the deployable, not the dart gun) and have fun. Force the enemy to play on your terms and you'll have a blast. You can single-handedly change the tide of the fight with these things alone and the EMP grenade, in particular, can be devastating. Live a little!
  10. Diggsano

NOPE NO RIFLE FOR ENGINEER...
    Nopenopenopenopenope.
  11. chuck105

The reason is because battle rifles are considered inferior to scouts, and infiltrators are supposed to have exclusivity on those weapons. They really should do something to fix the directive, as infiltrators want a directive full auto scout, and for the other classes, they don't want to have to play a ton of another class to get their directive battle rifle. The VS one seems to have useless perks, as far as I can see. It should have the under barrel grenade launcher or heck a shotgun, maybe an alternate fire mode. The fore grip seems like it fits the weapon but does nothing since theirs almost no side to side recoil and you should shoot slowly when it matters.
  12. OldMaster80

They should add a new Scout Rifle, but it would be pity to add another NS weapon. Surely they won't waste more time to create ES Scout Rifles (big effort, little sales).
    Still the problem would remain that Battle Rifles are not enough to have their own directive (there is only one for empire).

Imho players have to get used to the idea that not every directive can be grinded playing 1 single class. This is one of those.
  13. nehylen

I don't agree with infiltrators having the exclusivity of scout rifles either (would be right at home in medics/engies arsenals), but that's how it is. I remember being in that exact situation when i decided that i wanted the Revenant a while ago: didn't want to play infiltrator at all.
    But after the initial difficulties (took me around 600 kills to properly "feel" the Nyx), what a blast, i was glad directives "forced" me out of my usual playstyles. The Vandal afterwards was extremely enjoyable.
    Today, 15 months later i'm aiming for the DMR-99, and it again took ~600 kills with Vandal to somewhat flip a switch and to feel so great again with SA scout rifles.

The truly hard part is actually the SOAS. Auto scouts aren't unplayable, especially at my level of experience with the game, but the velocity makes no sense, they're not that accurate to boot, and outside of the Artemis, they're noisy with a suppressor (which is their niche, since only 1 tier drop).
  14. chuck105

It would be fun to have a burst fire weapon that doesn't fire continuously. They really should either join scout rifles and battle rifles as a common weapon type, or create more battle rifles and find a way to distinguish them. Right now it seems like the battle rifle is just a strictly worse scout, with under barrel attachments that only the engineer can take advantage of. I'd take a dps and rate of fire nerf if the damage was buffed and maintained a two shot kill at range.