Scattercannon Slug Ammo

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Zaik, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Zaik

Has anyone tried it yet? I'm sitting on roughly 200 certs and I'm trying to decide which is more of a risk, this or the second level of Forward Grip on the Gauss SAW.
  2. JackOfClubs

Everyone's waiting for someone else to do it first.
  3. Zaik

Okay, so I took the plunge and got it on my left Scattercannon.

It's an actual slug, the entire shot fires one single round. Three body shots will kill a normal infantry, two hits if one is a head shot. The first shot will land relatively close to the center dot, but not consistently on it. Rapid consecutive shots will degenerate wildly and go flying everywhere and are useless. With single shots from two slug ammo guns this could probably be freaking amazing though. It depends on whether the accuracy for each gun is independent of the other, or if you just have one "accuracy" that both arms use.

Killed four infantry outside Onatha Bio Lab, and almost got two more before they managed to take me down. Two of them were in range to kill with a normal scattercannon, but two were not. Only the first had taken any damage(fall damage jumping off a tower), dropped him in a single headshot. An engineer blundered into me and I killed him in three body shots, followed by an HA who missed with his rocket launcher and took one to the body and one to the face and flopped over dead. Then the first engineer re-engaged me(I was close to their barracks) from about 30-40m, 8 shots later I hit him the third time and he died again. After that, an LA started firing at me from much farther away, maybe 60m? I fired off two mags before he ran, hit him twice. Then a infiltrator came up behind me and started emptying his rifle into me. I managed to get another headshot off but they finally managed to bring me down. I was totally alone for this.

Tbh it's not perfectly reliable even when you fire one shot at a time, but after using it I'm pretty sure it's an overall upgrade to default scattercannons at all ranges simply because even in very close you can deliver the entire damage of the scattercannon to the head rather than a bunch of pellets spread out over the upper body. The slug ammo cert for my right arm is my next purchase. I would say it's reliable to use single shot at 20m, sketchy but acceptable at 30m as long as you aren't outnumbered.

Edit: I'd love to record some gameplay of this to put on youtube or something but the in game method of doing so makes low resolution videos with extremely large file sizes that take hours and hours to upload, so that's not really going to happen.
  4. UKAvenger

Do you think then that both with slugs could be better than one with and one without? ie one with slugs to complement the one without? Still deciding what to do with my AIMAX
  5. Zaik

Honestly I doubt it. I dunno how many times i've been inside a biolab(should be prime hunting ground for a scattermax!) and had people close enough to physically hit with a grenade before it goes off, but have to dump all 16 shots to kill them because of the ridiculous spread on the pellets. I suppose if you're finding yourself in a situation where you will always be within 5m of enemy infantry and supported by enough engineers to not die from being within 5m of enemy infantry constantly, the default scattercannons could be better. For every situation other than that, slug ammo is probably better.

I will say that the slug ammo does reduce the overall damage slightly. I found an abandoned TR flash and played around a bit, assuming every single scattercannon pellet hits it does a bit more damage, but how often does that really happen? Once in a blue moon you'll drop an infantry literally in your face with one shot from each, but it's rather rare.
  6. JojoTheSlayer

I dont have the slugs on the Max, but I have it on the Piston.

It has basically the same spread as the pellets and slightly more range, but because of the spread its useless outside shotgun pellets range. Its like you go from several pellets to just one. Damage is samey and its ineffective at medium range even with perfect scoop....

Slugs on NC, extra recoil and spread, is a waste of time and certs.
  7. Zaik

Stop spraying it. It'll go all over the place after 3+ consecutive shots. If you fire off one at a time per arm it works just fine.

On topic: Got the slug ammo for my other arm today, the accuracy seems to be independent for each arm or not updated immediately so simultaneous accurate single shots definitely work. The "spread" seems to be a circle around the center dot with about half to one third the radius of the larger circle when firing off one at a time. Crouching seems to help a little with the accuracy maybe, not really sure.
  8. JojoTheSlayer

You are missing the point.
    For infantry its better to keep the shotgun shells and have a Rebel pistol for the medium range than slugs in the shotgun.

From what you are saying it seems similar for Maxes as well.
    You can operate them, sure, but considering how they work. It sounds like you would in this case be better of using twin Falcons and have extra vehicle damage on top of decent infantry damage and splash effect.

Because of this slugs are in my view a waste of time/certs because they lack a proper role.
    They are just "there", but not doing a better job than what you had before.
  9. desktop

id like to know how good it is vs other max units. we all saw the video where the twin cycler max walks all over the scat max.maybe slugs are the answer to that balance issue. if it is it would cost allot of certs to unlock a twin slug scat max but you know what they say freedom isnt free.