SAY NO TO THE REVERSE NERF!

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by planitsider, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Neopopulas

I am in favour of removing (/nerfing/making it easier) to do this maneuver. I am in favour of being more inclusive to people who want to fly. I'm in favour of making it easier, meaning more people can have fun in the air and not get shot down instantly because they don't know the ONE SINGLE THING that makes the air game "what it is. I am in favour of allowing not only the absolutely most skilled of players to be able to play a third of the game.

Flame away.
    • Up x 1
  2. NovaAustralis

Okay, we'll trade.
    You can take away the reverse thrust manoeuvre for:

- No more lock-on weapons.

- No 'LOCK' tones.

- No flares required as mandatory any more.

- All current lock-on weapons change to guided, requiring the user to keep the crosshairs on the target until impact.

Fair trade?
    • Up x 4
  3. Pudgeinabowl

They could just do what they should have done yonks ago re: lockons.

Make flares standard equipment on all aircraft and smoke standard on all vehicles. Suddenly, metagame flipped on head, apart from VS who wouldn't give a ****, because Lancerroflmaoezop
    • Up x 3
  4. Corezer

the reverse maneuver isn't that hard to do... and I don't use it a lot, while still doing well. Not to say that I don't point my thrusters down and AB, but you need to pitch your nose up and fly back a bit before pitching down to point back forward for an effective reverse. and I usually just stay rolled and don't pitch up, using the beginning of the maneuver to break up a circling battle or to gain/drop vertically at high speed, rarely do I manipulate my aircraft the requisite manner to fly backwards.

when I'm ambushed with no cover nearby I generally:
    Decelerate
    Descend
    Pitch up
    Hit AB while nose is to the sky
    release AB when you go belly over top (meaning you have gone past straight up)
    Begin to roll over as you continue to adjust pitch
    if ur high enough you can pitch down and AB when nose to floor

So many people expect the reverse that this does quite well. I seem to attract a lot of 1-2 man liberators tho...
  5. Derrik

YES to reverse nerf. I'm enjoying tons of tears from esftards.
  6. biterwylie

Ye

Yes
  7. DeadliestMoon

Throw in Rocket pods and then we have a deal.
  8. Brainwayne

sorry i don't get it. I have been on testserver yesterday, flying reaver, but i can't tell any difference to "live"

What exactly does that "nerf"
  9. Admiralty

They took out the reverse changes in PTS a few days ago.
  10. Thurwell

Here's hoping it stays that way. I've been slowly getting better at vert thrust maneuvering in the last week or two and it is so fun once you get the hang of it.
  11. isaidhi3

I rarely do the reverse maneuver and I've never had any problem dog fighting. People who do the reverse maneuver just give me a stiller target to shoot. I've honestly never had a problem with it.
  12. Giggily

I hope that the devs don't listen to air players about whether or not an air nerf should go into effect. Killing the reverse maneuver and making fuel pods mandatory in order to do it would be amazing for balance.
    • Up x 3
  13. IBleedblueyellow

nah....one silly exploit of a move dosent make someone skilled, just makes them cheesey and cheap. to be honest most pilots are more in love with there KD than actuallt capping a point. unless you are in boots on the ground taking points, you are worthless. i cant tell you how many times a squad waltz's in too an outpost, caps it and leaves while there are 4 enemy esfs above trying to cert farm.....and letting outpost fall.
  14. IBleedblueyellow

i love how you say "we" know there are 2 broken things. i will not get into why the striker isnt broken (86 kills, 4000+ shots fired)

YOU think its broken because it frightens you. leave WE out of it.
  15. Rak

Nothing to flame here. Making the mechanics of vert thrust maneuvers more apparent to new/average pilots, rather than nerfing it, is what SOE should be doing, and what both myself and NoxousX were trying to say on Friday Night Ops.

It's not an exploit, and it doesn't make you cheesy and cheap. If you want, I'll spend time teaching you how to do it, and once you've got it perfected, I'll get a couple friends who aren't very good pilots to dogfight against you. We'll start with 1v1, then move on to 2v1 and then 3v1. After the fights, let me know if the maneuver you call cheesy and cheap was enough to bring you to victory, or if it becomes apparent that there's a lot more to being a successful pilot than simply knowing one of the multitude of vert thrust maneuvers possible.
  16. planitsider

id trade no pods for no lock on any time.
  17. planitsider

18. Baleur

Indeed.
    OR give me an Air-To-Ground missile that locks on to enemy infantry and vehicles, not requiring me to keep lock, and fires 5 missiles in a row (air mounted striker).
    That's another fair trade.

In all seriousness though, if they nerf reverse thrust (which ISNT reverse thrust, it's vertical thrust), i'm just losing all the will to play the game. All i love is to fly, and it's what makes PS2 so unique compared to Battlefield. The flight physics.
    If they really think it's a good idea to mess it up after players LOVE it, fine.
    Just don't count on me bothering to pay for camo or guns anymore, cuz i might as well play IL2 Sturmovik or any other dedicated "better" aircraft game since PS2 will lose the unique appeal it has.
  19. Pixelshader

If you're at the level where you literally can't compete in the sky then 99% of your practice time should be spent in VR / warpgate / friendly territory. As you get better that would lower to 75%.. 50%.. etc.

It is common sense that if you can't fly you shouldn't be trying to take on people who can. PS2 flight doesn't use a control scheme you can pick up on the go and just use, you need to build the basics into your muscle memory before you start. I did this intuitively when the game first came out by using friendly territory and the warpgate, now you even have VR. I enjoyed this practice, and if you're destined to become a top pilot you probably will too.

This is me practicing 8 ? months ago. I can look back on this and marvel at how uncomfortable I seem in the air, but I'm still able to use the reverse and I definitely understand completely the mechanics behind it. Since this was such a long time ago this would probably be like a baseline requirement of control familiarity today:

20. Tycoh

Hah! He said physics! Silly Leprechaun, physics is only found in good games!