Rubbish performance with Ryzen + Nvidia

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chunkminecraft, May 20, 2017.

1. Chunkminecraft

My new Ryzen R5 1600 @ 3.7GHz performs severely worse in battles than my i5 3570k @ 4.1GHz even though the Ryzen score is higher than my i5 3570k in Cinebench R15 - with 4 cores 590, whereas my i5 gets 577.
    I guess it's probably crap Nvidia drivers as always more so than the game. However none of the cores and maxed out when I drop >29 fps.

Is there anything I can do meanwhile to improve my FPS (GTX 970, high settings, low shadows)?
    Thanks.
  2. boey

Turn the shadows completely off. And why did you change from your i5?
  3. Rydenan

I have an 1800x and am strictly GPU limited.
    Here's a short clip of me in a 96+ vs 96+ fight (which I recorded for the other Ryzen thread here). Framerate counter is tough to see, but it fluctuates between 80 and 100.
    Had the task manager open on my second display; all cores showed around 40% utilization at most. GTX 1080 was at maximum clock the entire time.
    https://streamable.com/f0wz0
  4. Daigons

You went with a side grade instead of an upgrade. If I was in your shoes, I would have waited on the upgrade. Save up for a i7 or wait and see what the next few Ryzen generations have to offer.
  5. Chunkminecraft

I oced my R5 1600 to 3.9GHz and still my performance isn't great. It should be the same as your performance on your 1800x but it isn't. Also an i7 would have cost more.
  6. Okjoek

I've got an i5 3450 and I was thinking of upgrading to the R5 1600. More cores, more threads, more cache, more clock speed yay I can't wait =D

Remember too that Ryzen likes fast RAM.
  7. Chunkminecraft

Yeah but Ryzen won't run fast RAM unless you want to spend a tonne on Samsung B-Die, well until AMD release their microcode update to support Intel RAM better. My Corsair LPX 3000MHz will only run at 2400MHz max.

As far as gaming is concerned I've not noticed much difference, however I can now run stuff in the background like YouTube without my game taking a performance hit.

My Ryzen upgrade cost me £406 for mobo(£90)+RAM(£116)+CPU(£200), for me it was worth it and as you have a locked i5 you'll need it :p