Rocket Rifle?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zica96, May 8, 2015.

1. Zica96

Well wouldn't that make those classes OP then? Imagine a Engineer with endless ammo for his secondary weapon (basically a rocket launcher) and his AV Mana turret. It would have to be nerfd to the ground at that point i think.
  2. Littleman

As long as it's a better option than C4, explosive darts, or the UBGL on my medic for AV work, it's a worthy AV option for non-heavies. Like how the recon dart for the crossbow doesn't hold a candle to the infiltrator's actual recon darts, but it gets the job done for non-infils. Going in with a snapshot of the number of hostiles and their locations is better than going in entirely blind.

Secondaries weren't meant to be go-to weapons after all, just back ups or supplementaries to the primary weapon. I think the tears would flood Auraxis if, as a secondary, the rocklet rifle were as effective as fracture rounds. Maybe. Fracture's are kind of ineffective actually, but at least a MAX can launch 10-20 of those things between reloads. The rocklet rifle? Probably only 6, and it might only have 2-3 spare reloads.
  3. Vorpal_Spork

What? That's just a Twitter account, not a specific post. If you're talking about the rumor I heard of the Rocklet rifle from PS1 being brought to 2, that's for AA. It shoots bursts of flak rockets. It was pretty nice (although underused) in PS1 for taking out tower hoverspammers. I don't see it having much use in PS2 though.
  4. Shadowomega

The AA function wasn't added to that in PS1 till very late, it originally was an Anti-Personal/Anti-Max weapon Platform.
    • Up x 1
  5. Dowlphin

I hope this will be implemented in a smart way, as a kind of alternative tactical choice, and won't devalue nanite investments.
    • Up x 1
  6. Zica96

It's still SOE at heart, so they wont nail it the first try, but some patches here and there and maybe they'l make it useful :)
  7. Zica96

Well your'e right about the secondaries, but when they advertise new content and name it "the Rocket Rifle" it kinda makes you feel like it's going to be very powerful. The first thing that comes to mind for me is the Redeemer from UT :). But of course they wont make it like that. And i kinda hate the crossbow in general, too weak for me.
  8. UnDeaD_CyBorG

I sort of expect it as a primary version of the explosive bolts crossbow; more ammo, slightly better all around (RoF, velocity, etc.), which is not to say it'd be an actual primary. It could be a utility for engy or LA (Or anything sides Infiltrator), or a replacement for rocket launchers.
    It will probably have no magdump feature.
    Btw, I love the Explosive bolts, and if I got that in better as a LA primary, I'd totally use the **** out of it and rely on a pistol for Infantry.
  9. Vorpal_Spork

Well it was completely worthless at those roles. There was no situation where a deci wasn't better vs MAXes.
  10. Shadowomega

If you missed you were buggered with the Desy, post double shot bug fix. Also before that it had no delay for fire all remaining, many a players died to my Rocklet.
  11. Littleman

Thing you have to keep in mind with the rocklet rifle is that it does live up to it's name in the literal sense - it shoots miniature rockets in the same way a rifle shoots bullets. It's more like a rocket propelled grenade launcher, only these rocklets aren't really grenades. At best, this weapon might be described as the anti-material rifle people have been clamoring for, only its munitions travel below 200m/s I'm estimating, and probably hit for little more damage than a striker, fracture, or lancer's single shots do.

It's not going to wreck tanks, but as a secondary, medics wouldn't feel like tank bait. However, it would mostly shine versus MAX armors and bad ESF pilots as I can't imagine it ignoring very much of a tank's armor, weapons having piercing tiers and vehicles having armor tiers and all.