Rocket Launcher Primary needs to go

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Clay, May 12, 2014.

1. Kunavi

I feel I have to stress the possibility that you're not looking at it the right way Mustarde... PS2 needs to fundamentally change before the RLs get changed. I say that because if we change the RL-Vehicle relation in any way it's going to Domino Effect the rest of PS2's "Eco-System" so to speak, so why not do it while retaining control instead of just taking one piece out of that Jenga tower to put some new paint on it while the rest crumbles? And you pretty much WILL have to change that relation if you want RLs to not be so effective against Infantry.

Of course SOE could actually bother to micro a little bit, like decide whether the HA should give up this or that to carry a RL or a myriad other very small things that would also improve QOL, create more options and make choices in Load-Out matter while increasing variety.

Or they could up Flak resistance to 75% including Direct. Right now I don't think I will ever swap my Nano for Flak, neither on my MAX nor on any other class. It's still 2 Direct for MAX, 1 for Infantry from RLs, Frags are still lethal, C4's about the same; And generally all it practically(Can't stress that word enough) does is allow you to run back to Spawn if you notice a bad Lib Dalton spraying recklessly.

With things being how they are I'd say just bear with this. It's not much different than your 1Shot kills with your BASR or what have you, just that RLs also behave a bit like NoScope CQC COD "Sniper" rifles- So they can twitch kill you in CQC, but other than that... Not that different than what you're doing in end result. Not like I haven't been NoScoped in a Bio from a LongShot so there's that too really. Also, if the RL misses the wielder is done despite the splash Dmg you may take.

On top of that all, there's what I initially replied; Fix PS2, then we can talk about RLs. Right now it's InstaGibSide and RandomSide, I dare say RLs as they are, fit in nicely.

PS. Do consider that RLs are 2nd to C4 only in taking care of MAX, which in turn is perhaps THE most annoying feature of PS2 in its current form.
  2. Bl4ckVoid

The only change I would support:
    Flak 3 protects against lock-on launcher
    Flak 4 protects against default launcher
    Flak 5 protects against Decimator and pump action OHK
    Protects meaning you are reduced to 25% HP.

Other than this, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE. Sniper OHK to the head is much more annoying than RLs.
  3. Haquim

The QQ is NOW because there are a lot more of those guys around, it's easy as that.
    A year ago I've been occasionally shot with a rocket when somebody was trying to kill a MAX i was standing next to.
    Just yesterday somebody "sniped" me with a S1 over about 80 metres. I was kinda staring dumbfounded at the light-trail thinking: You see an enemy sniper and THAT is what you decide to do?
    Unfortunately I misjudged the trajectory and to add injury to insult it actually hit too....

Anyway I think the solution is an easy one: Leave the stats of the thing alone, make 'em cost 20 res per rocket and not supplied by ammunitions packages. Maybe people will stop using them as AI crutch and shoot "High-Value Targets" again. Like Maxes, Tanks and LIBERATORS. I mean there must be something amiss when you see the HA pelting infantery with rockets while a Lib is farming his teammates.....
  4. Bl4ckVoid

Above complaint is pretty ridiculous. If someone can hit you with the launcher at 80m, he deserves the kill.The sniper rifle is a much bigger crutch : longe range, very accurate AI weapon that kills with 1 shot. Wielded by invisible guy.

How is that fair and the rocket not???
  5. Bl4ckVoid

As for the Lib overhead: not that easy to hit with non lock-on and does negligible damage. Why waste ammo on it for 20 XP???
    • Up x 1
  6. TraatAdmiral

A sniper gives up 100 shields and any hope in CQC for the ability to effectively kill at long range. A heavy using a rocket launcher still has his over shield, extra health, and LMG. The fundamental problem with heavy assaults, at least as I see it, is that they're the most versatile class in the game. An infiltrator with a sniper rifle is pretty much the least versatile class in the game. They can do one well, thing, but nothing else. That's how it's fair.
  7. Bl4ckVoid

Any hope in CQC? Really?
    Last time I played snipers were running around with comissioners and knives. Together with cloak + recon dart it is a level playing field in CQC, even without their primary weapon.

No, the fundamental problem that frustrates and drives away new players is instant death from nowhere (snipers and vehicles). And the fact that you always have to dance because on every hilltop there is a sniper waiting for you to stop for 2 seconds.

A sniper with a sniper rifle has a sidearm that puts out almost shotgun level damage. If he can shot first, you are dead, no matter what is the primary.
  8. TheFamilyGhost

So this guy gets hit from a rocket 80m away, that he sees, and its the fault of the guy who shot the rocket that he died.

I just don't get the JEM player. I would be so embarrassed if I was so out of ideas that the only thing I had left was the forums.
    • Up x 2
  9. MajiinBuu

CoD is that way >>>
    • Up x 4
  10. TraatAdmiral

Dude. If you, as a heavy assault, are getting beaten in CQC by not even Stalker cloakers but snipers with Hunter cloak and their pistols, then... I don't know. You really need to look into any of the numerous options you have to deal with that. There are no (or at least extremely few) weapons in the game that are so absolutely awful that they can't even kill an unaware person from behind, so I guess that's true? If someone with a Commissioner is behind you, I assume you're going to die (I don't own a Commie myself, so I suppose I could be wrong about that). But level playing field my ***. All else being even, pretty much any primary weapon will beat a pistol unless you're phenomenally unlucky.
  11. MajiinBuu

Shot-knife = kill
    Crossbows at least
  12. Devrailis

That was clever enough to earn you a Forumside Cookie. :D
    Madness, NS Pistols can actually hurt people. Bullet scrubs are ruining the game. Only Wiffle Bats can separate the MLG from the noobs.

This is the thing that bothers me the most. There are games aplenty that cater to the infantry-centric playstyle, some with high TTK, some with low, some with weird sci-fi doo-hickys, others with that awful, super-brown-'n'-gritty modern warfare style. Infantry-biased FPS players are spoiled for choice.

And yet here they are, trying their damned hardest to spoil a game that is trying to be unique by removing all of the things that make Planetside 2 different just so they can have their CoD experience HERE instead of "that way >>>".

CoD is not here, if you want CoD, go play CoD. If you want Battlefield, go play Battlefield, if you want any other generic infantry FPS, go play that generic infantry FPS and stop trying to water down this game so you can force everyone else to play by your (idiosyncratic and arbitrary) rules.
    • Up x 3
  13. Fortress

I completely agree, and that's why rockets should not kill in one hit.

This is PLANETSIDE, not battlefield or any other game you mentioned, and PLANETSIDE did not and should not have one hit kill rocket noobery.

The only reason rockets do one hit kill is because the devs tried to make this game battlefield, and the closer this game is to battlefield, the worse it is.

Source: Planetside Vet since 2005 who knows this game better than most of the people in this thread.
    • Up x 1
  14. maxkeiser

No changes are required.

Sure, I get killed by rockets at point-blank range just like everyone else. However, even though I don't ever do this myself I don't begrudge the people who do. After all, for some players using a rocket like this is the only way they will actually get kills.

Let them have the fun. It's cheap. We all know that. But as far as I'm concerned no changes are needed.
    • Up x 1
  15. Posse

I wouldn't say remove, but half the things in that list need a change (which wouldn't necessarily be a nerf)

Let's see...

-Tanks: okay (the problem is the base design, not the tanks themselves, and mainly on Indar)

-Aircraft: I'd say the airgame right now is the best since launch, maaaaaybe the libs are a bit powerful, but they can be countered.

-MAX: Lol, you wish this didn't need a nerf, but they do, they're the most overpowered thing left in the game.

-Rocket: Already mentioned how to change them.

-Grenades: Concs are a bit cheesy, otherwise they're fine.

-Mines: No-skill fire and forget weapon have no place in this game, especially when you can set them in places that are impossible to avoid. I'd change them into EMP mines, or concussion mines, something that gives you an advantage, but needs you to finish the job.

-Cloaking, Overshield, Jetpacks: They're fine imo.

-SMGs: wat?

-Shotguns: Ridiculously overpowered in CQC, ridiculously underpowered in mid range, I'd nerf their CQC and buff their mid range, making them only a bit better than other CQC weapons in that range, but only slightly worse than these same weapons in mid range.

-Sniper Rifle: I don't like them, but they're okay

-Knife: I'd change it from the quick knife cod-style BS into an equippable weapon (CS style)

And of course you omitted the crutch you use most of the time in the things that need a nerf, lol.
    • Up x 2
  16. Devrailis

Some of these items may surprise you, but I didn't make this list up. Everything here has been demanded by Forumside to be nerfed within the last two months.

And here's the biggest problem of all - Instead of debating the ways we could expand the game mechanics and the roles that we can play, everyone is wasting time and effort playing DPS bean-counter, screaming for nerfs and buffs.
  17. TheFamilyGhost

This is a perfect illustration of the state of the community. This person actually took the satire seriously, and then attacked something that scares them (which wasn't on "the list", clearly making it "a crutch").

We truly live in the dark ages of gaming.
  18. TheFamilyGhost

Ah, the expert fallacy..."I've been here longer, my needs are more important than yours". Classic JEM.

Another attempt to force a change by nothing other than argument. Yes a rocket should penetrate armor but humans? No, sorry, can't hack it, it scares the dump outta me, and me and my friends are gonna scream until we convince the devs that our money is more important than evolved gamers that are capable of responding to any in-game situation.

To boot, we are going to dream up some sort of completely arbitrary weapon value system that only suits us.

In-game solutions fail to in-forum solutions. Why? Money. This is the greatest failing of FTP games, the ones that spend the most money get their butts patted the most. The ones that spend the most money are the in-forum soldiers. Yes, they'll get their way, that's for sure. The people that buy all the glitter and the latest thing always do. Does that make them right? From a good economic choice for SOE standpoint, yes. From a gaming evolution standpoint, no.
  19. Prudentia

Too me Rockets are basicly Charge weapons. You press 3 to Charge up and then can hold a high damage Charge unlimited. if you fire the Charge you need 5 seconds to "Charge up again" (which also makes rocketlaunchers a direct upgrade to the Phaseshift... but after all, everything is a direct upgrade to the Phaseshift :rolleyes: )
    I'm OK with rewarding a direct hit with a projectile that flies as fast a Lasher orb but with a much slower RoF to Kill me.
    what i dislike is the reward for not hitting, the 1000/1m splash.
    If it was for me this should be reduced to about 800, but given a bit bigger splash area, about 1,5m or with less splash, more inner blast radius, but Keep or even lower the outer blast radius. maybe 500/2/1/4 ?
    this would turn the rocket from a single shot kill weapon, into an area denial tool (and i know how much you NC and TR love to reject any buff to make the lasher a good weapon by calling it a "tool" that shouldn't even know the word "kill")
    additionaly it would give an edge to Teamwork as 2 rockets, or an EMP and a rocket, Concussion->rocket->push would give nice tactics. the reduction of the outer splash damage would reduce the actual AI capabilities of the Launcher. (eg the G2G Launcher is currently the best AI Launcher as all have the same inner, but it has 1m more outer splash)
  20. Fortress

I am an expert because I actually play the game and am good at it, unlike yourself.

So please take your nonsense elsewhere. Thanks.