[Suggestion] Rocket Launcher Backblast

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SQPD, Oct 30, 2015.

1. SQPD

Viewer discretion advised: heavy assault suggestions, no whiny crying 12 year old heavies ******** on this thread please.

This just seems like an interesting idea, to put a skill cap on heavy ****** class. Simply, my idea is to put a backblast mechanic on rocket launchers. This would fry and kill anyone within two feet behind the rocket launcher. This is simply to dick over the heavies and make it just that bit more skillful an art. Of course we all know the real thing that needs to be fixed is SAWs and overshields, not backblast or god damn victory points.
    • Up x 1
  2. Pikachu

They are not going to add this mechanic this late in the game. Too big change. Also would requite remodeling of rocket shooters since they have no hole at the butt. Would have been nice to have from the beginning.
  3. Revel

What a horrible, ill conceived idea. People from my own faction already don't care if they run me over with their vehicles. You think some HA is going to care if he kills me in a small room while firing his launcher at a MAX? All this does is aggravate others, not the shooter.
    • Up x 3
  4. ColonelChingles

Hahaha, I would love this. Especially since firing from inside an enclosed space might be potentially hazardous to the shooter.

Anyhow, this would require that teamwork be used when handing heavy weaponry, which should be the case. The person using the rocket launcher should call out that they're about to let a rocket loose and warn people in the area. If they don't play with teamwork... they can have a TK instead. :p

Tanks should also feature overpressure zones where it might be potentially dangerous to be in:

[IMG]
  5. _itg

If a rocket exploding 2 feet from an enemy doesn't kill them in one hit, why should it kill the user? Not that I think rockets need to do that, but even a game needs some basic consistency.
  6. Kdog559

LOL that is so true.I think it's a bad idea cause if I personally think I can get a sundy kill that is on fire then whoever is behind me better stay away.I see lots of team killings with it it's not a good idea for a strategy based game.
    • Up x 1
  7. ColonelChingles

Because the rocket explosion is based on the warhead, while the backblast is based on the rocket motor? Those are two rather distinct things. You could have a very puny warhead but a massive motor, which would result in significant backblast but little actual blast.

Sort of like firing an AP tank shell. No explosions on the receiving end, but there will be an extremely dangerous overpressure zone within 200m of the muzzle.

Same reason why we have friendly fire at all. So people would put a little more thought before applying "heavy weapons" or even suppressive fire.

Adding an extra "risk" to using rocket launchers would force players to think a bit more before using them. Not a bad thing, in my opinion.
  8. Shiaari

I like this idea! I think it fits very well with the military theme of the game, and would be very easy to implement.
  9. _itg

I can't imagine a 60 m/s motor producing too much blastback, but either way, it would affect nearby enemies as well as the user, which defeats the OP's "screw the user" plan. As far as realistic rocket mechanics go, that could be interesting, but there's nothing else realistic about them right now, so it would take a *lot* of reworking.
  10. Shiaari

Then make him care. Impose steeper weapon lock penalties on the rocket launchers. I've always wondered why such penalties weren't more severe for rocket launchers.

I think this is a fantastic idea.
  11. Shiaari

Hey 60m/s is 216 Km/hr... that's going to do some damage.
  12. Pikachu

What does overpressure do? That 50m radius.

Btw it sure is funny sometimes to see how simplified game mechanics are compared to their real life resemblance. xD
  13. _itg

When it hits you, sure. But the pressure wave from the engine? I mean, considering you could probably launch the rocket faster with a slingshot, I can't imagine it would be that much.
  14. FateJH

Two words: indoor tanks.
  15. Shiaari

That's 216 kilometers per hour of hot gas. We're talking rocket exhaust. It can kill you. And that's using your figures.

The actual numbers are much higher. While the rocket itself might not go much faster than 216km/hr the propellant's specific impulse will dictate the damage a backblast will do. Remember, force equals mass multiplied by acceleration. The propellant gas is very light of mass, and so it is moving much faster than the rocket itself leaving the tube. Couple with its temperature and you've got a life threatening scenario of being too close behind. Sure, you can back up a few meters and probably be just fine, but standing behind a rocket can kill you very easily. Just being back a few meters and it will still knock you down.
  16. Jogido

i would so jump into a group of enemies and point blank fire with this.
    • Up x 1
  17. GhostAvatar

The only people that are going to get dicked over by this are you non-HA, as I TK you while firing my rocket.
  18. Jakko

Accidentally killing a freindy or being accidentally killed can be frustrating, I don't think adding another method would make the game more enjoyable.
    • Up x 1
  19. Taemien

Same here. I'd abuse the crap out of this.

Congrats OP, you found a way to buff heavies.
    • Up x 1
  20. Kdog559

LOL hell yea!