'Revive' grenade worth it?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by XanderF, Dec 2, 2012.

1. IshanDeston

I am not saying its never useful. I just can't find much use for it, all things considered. Throwing a frag granade for area denial, and using the time to revive them with your Medi Tool at 100% is... well i just find more uses for a frag granade than those once a week moments where you are like "oh yeah, now i would have liked that granade with me".
  2. Raigir

Problem with that is their not once a week moments. Their just as frequent as the moments when frags are useful. I'm not saying the group I run with is bad, but it is not uncommon for a small portion of them to end up in a bad spot and I can help them without risking myself with just 1 grenade toss. And often times, their postion can turn 'suddenly' bad by just a mosquito catching a glimpse of them.

The zergs are probably a different story. It would be hard to argue which case is more frequent. Likely frags, but I tend to avoid zergs.

Also, on the underslungs: I don't really notice the swap speed difference. Might just be me though.
  3. Shockfrosted

The revive grenade has served me very well, together with my Flak armor.
    Typically (especially at tech plants) a grenade will blow up everybody around me.
    I can then chuck down a grenade and take cover to heal up, while everybody gets right back up. They may only have 50% health, but by the time they accept my healing ability is on and they all recover quite handsomely.

Their use must be learned (if not mastered) but they're an immensely powerful tool in the hands of a medic with situational awareness.
    Having said that, there are moments when they just don't do their job properly or I use them wrong. It happens, I'm certainly not perfect.
  4. Eshaede

while that would be nice, id rather it was uncapped, as you can rez "as many people as are down in its blast radius" at 50%, so i think its a workable tradeoff
  5. Raigir

Re-read. It isn't what I was refering to, but it is still just straight up griefing. I would report them because intentional griefing is punishable with repeat offence.
  6. Raigir

^ completely disregard. Some how a post of mine from another thread ended up here. Sorry.
  7. alecholman

Question for revive grenades:

So you throw the grenade on a pile of bodies and the AOE acts as an instant rezz (they still have to accept), but can this still be over-ridden by other medics since you don't have a beam directly on them? I also cannot decide if I want to upgrade from lvl5-lvl6 applicator or to buy the rev. grenades.
  8. }{ellKnight

Personally I'd go with the revive nade, gives you more tools to tackle revival situations.
  9. Misteradd

Thank you all for your great advices. I've been caught by the double XP WE, and had a lot of certs to spend :) so I just read now all the interesting stuff you took time to write. I thought I wanted a little "game changer" skill for my medic, so I headed first to the revive nades. Not the Med App isn't nice, but I already spend time reviving people and healing them, I wanted a little change :)
    so revive grenades are very nice... and very situational. I stiil not figure how they bounce, but I managed 4-5 revives in the same time with, very nice, as you can start revive closer people while the grenade blows.
    I went too with the underbarrel GL. I didn't noticed the slow weapon swap. It's nice as you can direct hit targets (someone said a beast.... Yeah !), but it's still a bit buggy : not always doing damage, not always resupplying... I miss a little my H-V45, but I'm playing with it since release, so....
    I put certs in my NW armor, just rank 3, but now I'll try to head to Med app 6. It will be a long way now without the XPx2 bonus :)
  10. KodiakX

I went with Medical Applicator to max first and honestly it was the best choice all around. The difference between 5 and 6 is huge and you don't realize how big of a difference it is till you get it. Faster resses, longer distance resses and ressing people to full is just awesome. Ressing people that fast gets me far more exp than I'd ever lose to getting slow ticks for healing people.

Second I went with the AOE healing ability to max (except last rank). This also is pretty good because it lets you tidy up a bunch of people who may be hurt without actively healing them.

Finally I went with Ress Grenades. Ress Grenades are VERY RARELY the Cert factory people claim them to be. The main reason for this is they ignore the fact that anyone who died to friendly damage grants no XP. I've personally also experienced a hard cap where I've ressed 6 people (who were in my squad and died to C-4 in one single blast) but only get 3 ticks of ress XP. I've tested this pretty extensively in Biolab areas and other mass fights where I can mass ress and it seems fairly consistent where I can't ever really get more than 3 ticks of XP from ressing people with a single Ress Grenade. Considering it's like 700 certs to get Bandolier that'd mean it'd take roughly 1093 ress ticks (with double XP from boost/sub) before they evened out (or around 365 ress grenades).

Ress Grenades are a good pickup but I certainly wouldn't prioritize them over the other tools.
  11. alecholman

I'd definitely agree with this. After maxing out my applicator, I can tell a large difference between 5 and 6. However, sometimes I wont get any exp (or it wont flash up that I did) for healing? Someone said something about it having to do with the time spent, and I guess applicator 6 is so fast that you don't even get exp sometimes.

I'll probably also go for underslung barrel before rezz grenades just incase I come upon a tank.
  12. KodiakX

Healing, in general, is pretty odd at the moment. There are a lot of bugs where you can see someone with half health then you heal them and their HP flashes to full instantly. I've had other people I've healed for 10+ seconds and get nothing for. Sometimes I will get ticks for 33 xp (I have +100% from boost/sub) and other times I will get 84 xp and other times I get nothing at all. I get 16 pretty consistently from the AOE heal.

Honestly all that XP is so minor it's hard to really care. I can go ress one guy and get 160 xp and there's rarely a shortage of corpses.
    • Up x 1
  13. Jestunhi

It sounds useful, but I'm trying to decide if it's "worth it" at the moment.

The thing is, 400 cert points is 100,000 xp worth, and at 75 base xp per rez using the grenade it would take a long time to pay itself off.
  14. DickJohnsonn

I use revival nades. I am streaming tonight with my outfit on Soltech NC. If you want to check it out you can to see the pros and cons. I am also using a NS11a with compensator, foregrip, reflex 2x and HV Ammo. If you have an medic questions ask me. I have most certs in medic.

15. Brusilov [TR]

I wouldn't buy them for the possible exp they refund. If you could rez yourself with them, then i wouldn't give mine up for the world.

The amount of times that i've died lobbing one, only to be killed with myself probably still in the blast radius... i could have accepted at least 7 or 8 of my own rezzes by now, lol.
  16. DemoEvolved

Rez grenade is nice.
    There are many times in a zerg where you throw down a rez grenade and you will usually get a MINIMUM of 3 rezzes. More rezzes than that is not AS common as you think, but it is throw and forget, you are already rezzing someone else with the tool out of sight from the enemy by that time.

Caveat: There is a delay before it goes off where other meds can get in there with their tool and steal your rezzes.

Caveat 2: The rez grenade has a relatively high infantry resource cost. So you are trading hand grenades/stimpacks/maxes for them.

Overall, I would buy it again.
  17. yama

A: you can pull of small miracles if you use it in an organized squad
    B: every now and then you get to rez 5-15 people at once which is all kinds of epic and goes a ways towards the grenade paying for itself.

Just practice with grenades. A lot.
  18. Pockets

If you throw it and die before it goes off, can you rez yourself?
  19. Babaganoush

I use them a lot.

Protip, if you see a red grenade icon, you might as well throw your grenade before it goes off. The revive grenade takes so long to explode. Not to forget the annoying grenade is made out of rubber.

I usually turn on my AoE heal after that. Hate seeing guys with no full bars.

I used to do Grenade Bandolier, but I have found it terrible unless you're farming revive points around a farmed sunderer. Stay with the Adv Shield Cap imo.

Edit: You CANNOT be revived by your own grenade. It'll show your body going up, but there will be no y/n notification.
  20. Vashyo

I got em, I find em highly situational and if you're unlucky it flies somewhere u didnt want it to and u miss rezzes. They should be made sticky or explode on impact. Maximum effect is after a liberator bombs your blob-formation. So thats usually the best time to throw one down.

Though rez grenade vs normal grenade. You can tell where u have potential targets without getting shot, while with normal grenade u actually have to see the enemies to aim or just randomly throw and hope for kills.

So it's really a case of do you NEED them, propably something u might want to grab down the road but should not be at the top of your priority list.