[Suggestion] Restructure the continents!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SwornJupiter, Jul 27, 2015.

1. SwornJupiter

Nothing really captures what Planetside 2 is capable of than large-scale battles. Sure sure, graphics, gunplay and balance can be found (better) in other games, but sheer numbers is what makes Planetside 2 unique.

Now the current lattice system shepherds huge amounts of players along a single hex, and that has its associated downfalls in terms of strategy. I do look forward to the hybrid system that is planned to be implemented with the new 'conquest mode', which is shrouded is in mystery, and the devs have only dropped vague hints.

However, with that change, could we also get a couple more wide-open fields for vehicle engagements? I mean, simply removing pointless facilities like Coramed Labs (Indar), or Xenotech Labs (Indar), or The Auger (Amerish) would create much more space for vehicle maneuverability.
    After all, I love being in a giant tank fight - a line of locked down prowlers, or perhaps you prefer a squad of shielded vanguards pushing and clearing the way forward.

In it's current state, there is barely any vehicular combat - at least none that is worthwhile. Tanking really comes down to either 1v1s in the middle of nowhere, or HEAT/HE splash simulating armageddon outside a spawn room. It's really a case of:
    1. Load up into a sunderer.
    2. Drive 100m to the next base (there is insufficient time/space for the opposition to pull a formidable vehicular defense)
    3. Camp the spawn room for the next four minutes.
    4. Repeat steps 1-3 for the remainder of the alert.

A perfect example of what I envision is the expanse of land between Quartz Ridge Camp and Indar Excavation Site, located on the West side of Indar. This is probably the ONLY place to really have any substantial vehicular combat. There's maybe 1km of dry, arid land where MBTs, sunderers and harrassers can roam freely - not to mention the opportunities for flanking with armor (given how wide those territories actually span), and how exhilarating it is when you pull it off.

Furthermore, that single building between the two facilities (right smack in the middle of the desert) is quite a heavily contested building. It has no capturable point, and makes for some mean infantry meatgrinders, while also providing valuable cover for advancing armor columns. Even simply replacing Coramed Labs or Xenotech labs with this building would be such an improvement for vehicular combat flow. Besides, these facilities don't do anything anyway... they simply serve to slow down the zerg for an additional four minutes until they hit one of the major facilities such as Dahaka or Regent Rock Garrison (i.e. somewhere defensible).

I would be interested to know of any outstanding comments, corrections or critiques about this suggestion.
    Cheers!
  2. Eternaloptimist

I'm pure infantry and my eyesight is permanately damaged by squinting at huge vehicle battles (from a distance because infantry = squishy)............except maybe on Hossin.
  3. OldMaster80

Personally I disagree that lattice kiled the strategy. It's not perfect but it's wat better than the hex system.

By the way feedback about the conquest mode was so bad it's highly probable that it has been scrapped completely.

Redesigning maps btw takes a lot of time. I'd rather see new mechanics and new small maps like Battle Islands.