Resource boost is, by definition, Pay2Win

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Nov 29, 2012.

1. daicon

It's not true for Dota 2

but seriously, there is no reason to defend the game for being free. It's not P2W and the cash shop is the most reasonable one I've ever seen in a F2P game
  2. UberBonisseur

Isn't getting more tanks mechanical ?

If you can spawn 3 tanks and your enemy 2 over the course of an hour, isn't that mechanical ?
    Imagine a RTS where paying allows me to get additional units.

It perfectly fits within the definition of p2w.
    Whether you decide how much it impacts the game, it doesn't matter to me.

There is no "free" equivalent for Resource boosts
  3. Flarestar

You're stretching what Pay2Win means far beyond its normal meaning.
  4. MobileAssaultDuck

Only if the tanks were inherently better than other vehicles or infantry.

They are not. A heavy assault with a Crow (or TR/VS version) and some rocks can destroy a MBT easily.

All the tanks in the world won't do much against a good choke point on a handful of HA.

Hence spawning tanks faster does not confer an advantage, merely additional options.
  5. Landtank

Except that if he pulls a tank, or an ESF, you can still kill him fairly easily, so how is this pay to win?

Do you know what pay to win is?

Why does this thread exist?
  6. UberBonisseur

If I jump from behind on a guy with a gun shooting nukes I can still kill him fairly easily

Point not relevant.

If you are going to compare things make it fair. Miror both sides
  7. omgitsbees

Cool story I guess? Everyone is well aware that this is a Pay to Win game, so what? Play something else then.
  8. vrcarnage

Please for the love of god lock this thread! This horse has been beaten to death.

Let's make it nice in simple.

Would a person walk into a restraunt w/ no cash and expect the same service as a paying customer?

I think we know the answer.

This political correctness crap gets old. Who cares if someone thinks its pay to win. If people dont like it just dont play.

This same old type of thread gets super old and I don't know why a great deal of people (no just in this game) think they are entitled to things they either did not pay for or did not help w/. This entitlement generation has run rampant.
  9. Marka Ragnos

I dont understand why anyone would Buy a recource boost in the first place. My recources are maxed everytime i use them with out it.
  10. UberBonisseur

If the game was a Pay-to-play with a static price and put everyone on a equal basis, I'd shut up and play.
    It is not. Disparities between customers exist

You can't just run around flailing your arms in the air and call people "entitled"

Should non-paying "customers" be 2nd class citizens ?
    Yes

Should I feel like a 2nd class citizen because some customers decided to spend their money on boosts rather than cosmetics ?
    No
  11. vrcarnage

Anyone that pays are always going to have benfits too that payement.

I don't know why people feel they are "entitled" to anything when they pay nothing.

If a place offerend a porkchop meal for free to everyone. When someone comes in and sees a guy w/ a steak and asks. Why does he have a steak and the waiter states oh he payed for that meal. The person w/ the free porkchop can not get mad. Why? The other person payed for that steak.

It's absolutley mind boggling as to why someone that has put nothing into something expects something from nothing.

In the end skill will widdle out any difference. Any skilled player is going to roflstomp a person w/ less skill why? A less skilled person may get tanks more because of the resources but that less skilled person only kills 2 tanks w/ his one while the skilled player will kill 20.

If someone feels second rate because they want the same benefit as a paying person then they can simply just leave. Crying and screaming and "flailing your arms around" won't get them anything. Why? Because SoE needs the money to run the game and they will not risk loosing that money over such a small benefit. What would be the purpose of the person paying if they got nothing for it. The benefits are miniscule.

The simple fact is like maybe .000000000000000000000000001% of the people that play this game for free complain about the above subject. Thats because its a fun game and its free.
  12. 0ReferenceException

I'm totally allergic to pay2win models - not because I lack the cash in RL but because I think one of the cool things about MMOs is that everyone is pretty much equal and only the skill (and perhaps luck) counts. This is destroyed in p2w games.

And PS2 is definitely not pay2win.

Sure, the people that pay (myself included) get more XP for the same effort (and thus more certs) but that doesn't give me access to things that f2p players don't have access to. It only gives me access to them sooner, that's all.

I find it especially strange that the OP chooses to criticize the resource booster... To me, resources seem pretty much the most pointless thing to boost... I'm never low on them (and was never low before I went premium a few days ago either) and I'm no great player. The cool downs / lockout timers are what prevent me from "spamming" vehicles/aircraft, not the missing resources.
  13. PhunkyPhantom

Hmm so basically because you are playing for free you choose not to shut up and play.

This is like eating at a restaurant and ******** about getting free bread sticks because someone else paid for garlic bread.

:::Waving arms, yelling ENTITLED!:::

Now because someone made a conscious choice they should not be held accountable for their own actions?
  14. UberBonisseur

Could we stop with the terrible food analogies ?
    I don't want money to influence power, period.

Does a 50% resource boost make you stronger, I say definitely yes.

The resource system is broken and it flies under the radar so far, but wait until they un-break it and tell me it's not significant
  15. Landtank

How does it make you stronger, you are yet to explain that and make sense.
  16. UberBonisseur

I could just say that using more grenades, landmines, C4 (not even talking about vehicles) than your enemy makes you stronger but you'd pull a "you can still kill him".
  17. Cevera

At the moment the only difference is, that members waste even more resources by being at the cap
    And until they rework the entire resource system (if that even happens), thats all

And the only thing you are doing at the moment is to assume, what could happen, if they re-do everything
  18. Landtank

Yes, because you can still kill him easily! And you can get your own grenades, landmines and C4! If he certed for landmines and C4, then you must have certed for something else.

I really don't understand how you think that you can still kill him isn't a good argument, and you are still yet to explain how any part of this game is pay to win.

You say it makes you stronger, but you are yet to convince anyone because you haven't even made an argument that makes sense.
  19. UberBonisseur

You win, I'm bored