Resist vs NMG shield values

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bu11ish, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Bu11ish

Sorry for making another thread on this, but take this as you may:

[IMG]

The shaded values mean effective HP, meaning the apparent amount of damage according to standard gun damage stats you have to do to kill a guy.

This graphic was made with Excel.
    • Up x 2
  2. JudgeNu

Numbers along with graphs coupled with shades of color make my head spin.
    What is your analysis of the data?
  3. Bu11ish

Let me start off by saying that there are much more things that go into analyzing these 2 shield types, and in my opinion they are well balanced.
    • NMG NWA5 vs RS, face to face duel (pop shields before shots hit), decent players - tossup, because if RS hits NMG NWA5 with 3 headshots, then NMG NWA5 should be able to hit RS either 3 or 4 times because he has 33% better movement speed 69% of the time.
    • NMG NWA4 vs RS, face to face duel (pop shields before shots hit), decent players - tossup NMG NWA4 has a slight relative theoretical disadvantage.
    • NMG NWA4 vs RS, being ambushed - NMG NWA4 theoretically wins hands down, due to at least a 3 bullet reaction time on the part of the RS user.
    • NMG NWA4 vs RS, room breach - NMG NWA4 should edge out slightly, since room breaches potentially mean the defenders are less concerned about hitting headshots than putting as much bullets down range as possible; also, extra mobility.
    • NMG NWA4 vs RS, sustainability - RS, for obvious reasons.
    • NMG NWA4 vs RS, versatility - RS, because of that extra suit slot; could be used with 50% flak for slightly better AV survivability, grenade bandolier for holy nade spam, advanced shield capacitor for lower down time.
    NMG must be used with NWA4 or higher to be effective. Recommended for general purpose use.
    RS + ASC recommend for solo aggressive hunters, or niche positions that the other extra suit slot provides.

There is also the aim duel (favoring RS) / tactical duel (favoring NMG) meta game, which is fluid.
    • Up x 1
  4. Dualice

I'm a little confused about the effective HP figure for NMG + Nanoweave 5. If the effective health pool for an NMG heavy is now 1450, and maxed Nanoweave offers a 20% bonus resistance from small arms fire, wouldn't that be 1740?

I think I'm missing something here.
  5. Bu11ish

Yes you are. Calculating % resistances is not the same as calculating % HP boosts.

20% resistance means 1450/(1-0.2) ~= 1812.5, NOT 1450*1.2 = 1740.
  6. Stigma

Good data.

I think the best choice comes down to playstyle more than anything - but I guess you could say that playstyle aside there is something for choosing NMG when you use nanoweave - and RS when you use something else. RS with flak would certainly be exceedingly durable in a point-hold scenario.

-Stigma
  7. Dualice

I'm with you now. Thanks for the clarification.