Resist vs NMG shield change clarification

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bu11ish, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Bu11ish

The recent patch changed the value of the NMG and Adren shields from 750 down to 450.
    And the resist shield value down from 45% to 40%.

On the surface, it would seem that resist shield is now better than NMG mathematically. But this is not so. That is because resist shield does NOT stack with nanoweave, which is what most heavies run.

At 450 more HP and a 15% nanoweave resistance, that means a heavy has effectively 1450/0.85 = 1705 HP.

At 40% effective resistance, that means a heavy has effectively 1000/0.6 = 1667 HP.

This means NMG is still slighly 'better' with near-max value nanoweave when compared at face value.

(NMG starts off by being worse than resist with no nanoweave, and starts becoming better at level 4 nanoweave which is 15% resistance)
  2. LodeTria

Isn't max nanoweave 20 though?
  3. Bu11ish

It is, it's just that the initial 211 certs is so much more cost effective and most people don't cert into that last 5% resistance until late into their game. I did the calcs for what I assume to be the most common scenario. But you are right, NMG becomes even 'more better' at max level nanoweave.
  4. Neo3602

something to also take in to consideration is that unlike NMG, the Resist shield is only most effective if you activate it before you take damage where as the NMG will be effective even if you have taken soem damage already.
  5. DarkJackal

Well, with NMG (I never bothered with Adren) you had a tradeoff with movement making you easier for headshots coming in down range. Contrary to the instant I-win-pikachu-button nonsense that was attributed to NMG, I prefer having some movement and generally only used NMG when it was necessary and never "ran" around with it on. Res to me now is the better choice since now I can move a bit as I play the same anyway with 50 fps and 20% HSR to do basically the same job that I always do, play a terrible heavy. That being said, I haven't had a change to really attack many MAXes or Vehicles but I seem to have melted away with Maxes trying the NMG being unable to sustain firing at it.
  6. Metalsheep

You forget though, that Resist Shield also adds explosive resistance and melee resist. You can make NMG more specialized with Flak or Nanoweave, but Resist is better as an all rounder, especially with ASC lowering your shield recharge time and resists new duration boost.

I'd be willing to bet Resist will be the Go To shield for general use.
    • Up x 2
  7. Scr1nRusher

do you understand how stupid that looks?

Compare NMG & Resist WITHOUT Nanoweave.
  8. Ximaster

As a resist shield user,the fact of 45% to 40% damage reduce is a joke. If HA users of this shield like me have disadvantage versus the default HA sheilds when full charge i cant imagine now...for the GODS SAKE!!!
  9. AxiomInsanity87

NMG nerfed to stop HA's being too good at 1v1's

Stops HA being as effective at taking out vehicles, breaching and taking out air

HA now even more confined to 1v1's

GG
  10. SeveN797

I couldn't play for too long today, thanks to crashes, but 1 think that caught my eye is that NMG now regenerates nearly as fast resist shield which is pretty hilarious. Even tho it's weaker now I still like this change.
  11. Scr1nRusher

lol, its not that bad.
  12. Bu11ish

Forgot to mention that NMG supposedly has a 40-50 HP activation cost.
  13. Ximaster

That 5% of difference,sometimes can cost u ur life per little range. I cant count the times when i finish a fight with minimal hp bar versus other heavy and thats before the patch.
  14. Bu11ish

AFAIK all 3 shields have a 25% movement speed penalty. That given, NMG is more mobile because it doesn't have to be on all the time like resist.
  15. Scr1nRusher

dude.............

I do want to point out that Resist has the advantage over the other shields when Nanoweave isn't factored in.
  16. Bu11ish

That's what I said at the end of the OP.
    • Up x 1
  17. Scr1nRusher

I know, but he didn't seem to read it.
  18. Jeslis

You should note that Resist effects headshots, and therefor, if even 1 shot is a headshot, resist becomes better.
  19. DarkJackal

Ah well, I didn't elaborate on the mobility requirements on the shields. Given the cost to start up or shut down the shields as well as sustainability as a requirement, RES has better momentum than NMG overall. Of course, momentum is the retention of relative motion in a given object. The momentum a heavy would want in this case would not be physical momentum but rather tactical momentum. Or, in simpler terms, the extent to which a Heavy Assault is able to move forward continuously. This is important just like a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. So, the ebb and flow of the battle a Heavy will wade through can only move as fast as it's slowest setup choices. Or more precisely, the Heavy's can't advance any faster than whatever the shields allow it to do.

If the Heavy that is supposed to be the tip of the infantry spear can't advance, then there is a serious problem. It is also why with RES I prefer ADV Shields so I can spend less time recharging as I don't have any real down time with the RES shields (unless an EMP cakes off then that is a whole different matter).
  20. Pat22

Resist Shield + Advanced Shield Capacitors is, has been for a long time, and will continue to be the go-to choice for heavies.

The versatility, uptime and low cost of the loadout make it a far superior choice to other shield / suit setups except in certain select scenarios.

NMG or Adrenaline shield + Nanoweave is a gimmick at best. Sure you get a big HP pool for one fight, but you are exposed to headshots and any form of damage other than bullets, and once you've blown your shield and overshield, you're out of the fight for a solid 20+ seconds waiting for both to recharge.

Resist with ASC, though it provides a slightly lower total health pool, will protect against all forms of damage, including headshots, and leave you with a maximum downtime of 10 seconds, with the overshield itself being basically always available. Even if you were to give up the ASC, you still have a lower downtime with an added bonus from whatever other suit slot you choose to use.

That being said, NMG and Adrenaline shield mixed with Flak armor is best for dealing with explosives, as it will give a heavy a total of 2900 effective HP versus explosives, post-nerf. This could allow heavies to survive HE rounds and explosive volleys that would easily cut other infantry to shreds and retaliate against the offending vehicle.