[Suggestion] Replace Skyshield with Point Defense Module

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Meserion, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Meserion

The Point Defense module would intercept and destroy incoming rocket pods and missiles with precision shots from an automated turret. Fire rate would be 2 round bursts every second, so stacking Point Defense modules would be an effective means of suppressing bombardments.

The reason for this change is the Skyshield module effectively is a giant middle finger to air interaction with built bases; Air can't attack but we still get hit by all the AA turrets built there. The point defense module would prevent bombardments but would open up the possibilities for air to disrupt and interact with player-made bases.

Also, Skyshields get abused in certain areas with deep valleys to make bases unreachable, and while yes the Glaive can damage them, the fact you can make a "cap" for a base that blocks everything is absurd. Rather than encouraging interaction, the Skyshield makes people avoid assaulting or fighting at player-made bases as the Skyshield is nigh-impregnable half the time.
  2. LaughingDead

Actually part of the patch notes on PTS mentioned increasing glaives effectiveness. I'd prefer if we had counters instead of one unit that can eventually bust everything, I know from experience, from both sides, if air stays bombarding at the right angles, you can take down almost any base.
    • Up x 3
  3. LordKrelas

A sky shield preventing air from attacking, without being at the bottom of a sink hole.
    Where can I get one of these? Mine can't achieve this unless the pilot is brain dead.

As well, since you mention rockets & missiles, I assume the shells & bullets fired from nose guns, and most liberator belly weapons would be immune... such as Daltons, and Tank-Busters which cleave through targets like a molten knife through butter.
    After all, "Interact" isn't what a pilot would do to a base without a Skyshield; Annihilate is what they do with bases without one.
    And even with one, they still can easily shred bases without much of a damn.

Not to mention, those AA turrets are meant to hit you, but key word here is hit, you don't see the word "Kill".
    As well, without the barrier, most aircraft & vehicle weapons would just rip into bases, specifically aircraft whom can literally be above the range of most if not all weapons on the ground while still being capable of firing, let alone Galaxies dropping troopers.

Whom without the shield, would happily just swarm over a base from a Sky-limit galaxy.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tankalishious

I fly alot and i find it a ridiculous idea. Taking down bases like that isn't airwork, its a job for the ground troops. Air provide cover and attack incomming enemy support.
  5. Liewec123

cool, sure, we wouldn't want something to actually counter air would we?!
    and while we're nerfing skyshield for being oh-so OP for allowing the ground units to attack air without air having the ability to attack,
    lets allow ground vehicle weapons to arc up 90 degrees,
    you know, because for 4 years you've been able to hover your flying tank over ground units and have the exact same thing happen that you're complaining about, the ground units can't fight back.

air has the easiest time in this game, if something gives air the middle finger, good.
    • Up x 4
  6. Eternaloptimist

Working as intended
    • Up x 3
  7. stalkish

All you need is 2 MBTs to annihilate the turrets, then anyone can waltz into the base, infantry, air, vehicles.
    Not really hard to achieve for a squad, a solo ESF will have some difficulty unless the base is **** and undefended.
    • Up x 1
  8. Problem Officer

"All you need is 1 MBT to annihilate the turrets"^^^^
  9. stalkish

Well with repair mods and engineers and rep sundies in the base, it can often take 20+ shells to kill a turret, youd need an ammo sundy with your 1 MBT, so might aswel bring another MBT and double the kill speed.

Undefended crappy bases sure 1 mbt, but you could destroy those with 1 infil and explosive xbow anyway.