[Suggestion] Replace ISO-4 Minimap Display with Minimap Scale

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Insignus, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Insignus

Background

In this current patch, a display was added to the minimap indicating the amount of ISO-4 that a player has, a value which was traditionally only indicated on the Implants tab.

While I appreciate the efforts of the developers to update the UI, unfortunately, ISO-4 is currently only updated as a result of locking alerts or breaking down implants. In the case of alerts, this is already indicated on the chat box and notifications screen. In the case of breaking down implants, the number is right in front of you.

As implemented, this seems to only serve to crowd out the more salient, immediate numbers for nanites, Cert points, and XP modifiers.
    The Idea

One thing I've always been interested in seeing on the minimap is a scale indicator - a quick go to indicator that tell you exactly how much territory the square is representing - a potentially very useful piece of information if I want to quickly guestimate the range on something that I don't have line of sight on, but which is Q or auto spotted on my minimap.
    Proposal

That the previous order of information on the minimap bar be restored, and a small number indicating the distance scale represented by the minimap be added.

This number can be added to the right of the XP Multiplier display, added as a translucent small number in the lower right of the minimap, or even be added up in the Hex Name display in some extra space.
    Why do this? A more in-depth breakdown of information priority on the minimap

It would be a useful QOL improvement, in my opinion, and the game already knows the information anyway, because it likely has to pull it when it draws the minimap or re-scales it. We're merely displaying something the client already knows.

Also, the ISO-4 information is kind of out of place, looks a bit off, and is not terribly useful/redundant. Its only used when upgrading implants, and is presented at the screen in which one would upgrade implants, and as such, I've never found myself in a situation where knowing how much ISO-4 I have is an immediate concern.

Let's breakdown what information is on the minimap, currently:

Obviously, I need-to-know the name of the region and its control.

I need to know how many certs I have, because that's a constant tick income that I use to verify my performance and advance my game play. Its a useful goal.

Nanites is imminently need-to-know.

Multiplier is good to know, as it lets me theoretically maximize my cert income based on changing circumstances.

ISO-4 falls under the category of "Nice to know" and therefore should not be displayed in critical quick-reference format. By removing the ISO-4 display, the space can instead be used for Minimap Scale, which is "Good-to-Know" or "Need-to-know" depending on one's playstyle.
    Conclusion

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think.
    Would you find this idea useful? What other information would you like to see on the minimap? Or do you perhaps prefer to see your ISO-4?
    Comment away!
    • Up x 6
  2. HAXTIME

Long story short, ISO-4 on the minimap is completely unnecessary.
  3. JibbaJabba

Good post!

They hired Steve? A UI programmer a couple months back. He's been adding some cool stuff to the game. I don't think the ISO display was a good change though. It's not "HUD" worthy info.

I'd like to see concentric range circles on the minimap. That would be awesome.

An update to the grid on the main map would be good too. Right now the scale is too big to be useful. Each square needs 9 "sectors"
  4. Campagne

It'd be nice to have the option to display certain values instead of just being forced to have them there.

As you said ISO-4 isn't a very useful or immediate value and is rather static compared to certs and nanites.
  5. csvfr

Certainly agree that amount of ISO-4 in the bank isn't mission-critical knowledge. However what I dislike even more is the fact that it ain't even implemented properly. Did they even test this HUD change on the PTS? Because on my client I can't get a quick overview of neither certs, nanites, ISO-4, or XP modifier anymore, they are all overlapping in the little box under the minimap which is to small to fit all the numbers! I don't know if its just my screen resolution, that I have 1K+ certs, or the temporary "2x" symbol, but on my session today it was just a mess.

On the menu, its better but still alot of blank space with the two rows of different "currencies". Overall a 1 of 5 stars change from me.
    • Up x 2
  6. Jac70

Yes, ISO4 is not needed on the minimap. Range could be very useful. I'm thinking Glaive and OSG builders could use this info. Currently I place a marker on the map and then look on the HUD to see how far away it is from my base.
  7. Kristan

TL;DR

But I'm going to +1 it for the title alone.
  8. csvfr

This is what I\m having btw
    [IMG]
  9. AkuraThDB

I agree entirely with the OP. Good idea and well-thought out reasoning.
  10. Insignus

Partial Victory, in that the ISO-4 icon has been reportedly removed from non-expanded minimaps.
    • Up x 2
  11. stalkish

Lets hope its to make way for your suggestion :D.
    I mean i doubt it, but one can dream...