Repair xp versus ammo xp

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by actionpark, Nov 4, 2014.

1. actionpark

Hello, what is most beneficial for gaining XP early on?

To max the ammo-pack or to max repairtool (I have pretty low level on both at the moment)?

OFC in time i want to max BOTH but what would you recommend to get first? Thanks :)
  2. WarmasterRaptor

Repair tool first. You want to get MAXes and other vehicles ready asap.

Ammo you can always drop closer to where it's needed.
    • Up x 1
  3. actionpark

Hmm yeah I understand - Repairing is more important than ammo. I understand and agree.

But what im really asking is what pays more for a pretty selfish lonewolf :]
    Still repair maybe? Could be, im just curious
  4. Flamberge

Depending on the situation, max rank ammo pack makes A TON MORE certs than rep tool. Repair tool, one source of XP, ammo pack in a crowded area, potentially dozens of XP sources.
    • Up x 1
  5. MajiinBuu

Repair first.
    Then ammo pack. The final rank of ammo pack allows you to place 2 at a time, but max repair first.
    • Up x 1
  6. Haquim

Also, ammo pack reaches the XP limit pretty soonish - I don't think that ever happened to me with repairing.
    • Up x 1
  7. Flamberge

They lowered that in a September update. Much lower now.
  8. WarmasterRaptor

By yourself, you'll love being able to repair your tank :p
  9. Targanwolf

I'm a lone wolf.
    I play engineer 95% of my time
    Currently BR 51
    always always ...your repair gun first( look for bases to repair...not just combat situations.Some factions seem to have almost no engineers who go around and fix things)
    then ammo supply
  10. Borsty

With a max lvl repair tool, if following around MAXs and repairing vehicles, base defenses and dropping ammo (you can always drop ammo, certed or not), you can expect to make 20000xp+ per hour. That is a LOT more than most players make in general.
    With boosts, alert going on, being outpoped etc, it can be even more.
  11. DrBash00

I would suggest you go first repair, and if repair gets expensive you go for ammo until it costs 100 certs, and then you finish the repair tool. And always when you follow a max in a biolab you drop ammo on positions where you see some "needy" allys...

This way you get it up fast... and i personal would reccomend you to upgrate a armor
    • Up x 1
  12. Golgaris

How everyone is suggesting repair...
    Personally I would ask in the first place: "What do you mean with lone wolf?"
    If you want to specialize in tanks or aircraft (and just save certs as upgrades tend to cost a lot of them) go with repair
    If, however, you don't: ammo pack!
    I play lone wolf most of the times, too. How I would define a lone wolf engie is some kind of an assault class - with the extra BOOM. Attacking and defending while utilizing your awesome tools; setting up turrets, mines and throwing stickies...
    Whenever you do so, you probably do not want to be a random Max's pet engie (=the softie that goes down first) and you also don't want to stay next to tanks, as most 'common' means of damaging them are combined with splash damage.
    - not saying you must not do one or the other, you are just not specialized in doing so.
    Therefore your best friend is not the repair tool, but the ammo pack.
    You don't have to be there for your team mates, babysitting them all day long. You actually do something.
    Just put down your pack and move on.
    I promise you, a certed ammo pack is certainly going to pay itself back.
    Even if it has a cap, the amount of xp you get from it before it reaches that cap is still alot - and in my experience it usually only takes 2-3 minutes until you gain new xp.
    Consider, that you, yourself, are also creating xp in that time, as you are fighting, getting kills, maybe even destroying vehicles, and inbetween breaks repairing whatever needs repair.
  13. actionpark

Thank all of you guys for helping.
    In the end I certed both pretty evenly, so now i have both at Level 5. I dont regret that. They are both great.
    Think I'll just max both of them now and be done with it.

Thanks again
  14. actionpark

Got both maxed now before doubleXP event. Perfect timing! All those certs!

Heh heh heh
    • Up x 1
  15. SpartanPsycho

You shouldn't even use the engineer for exp. Medic is the way to go.
  16. Targanwolf

OP
    resupply does not preclude repairing
    repairing doesn't preclude resupply.

In a fight I'm repairing turrets at times....I always have ammo out......and I'll jump on a turret and fight too..oh and sprinkle mines.....and my favorite....c-4 surprises At range the manna anti vehicle can make tankers not like you .Heck I might even shoot someone on occasion.

I carry either a smg for close in protection or a rifle that can pitch grenades with a launcher. Frag and smoke add a little more variety.

YOU WANT CERTS ? REPAIR THE HE_ L out of everything on the continent you are on....then go to another and repeat.
    Yep...it takes work. Question is...are the rewards worth the "work" ? Only you can answer that.

For me this is a game to occupy me temporarily. ESO my mmog that was to be ...the one..is going sideways(at best) so I stopped playing. PS2 has its own very deep "issues" which eliminate it from serious consideration for long term subscription play.
  17. Kozak03