Rendering distance of players is a BIG JOKE !

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PlayerOneSVK, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Shnooter

Hate to be picky but in coding terms technically players are objects which are created from a class... but I do see what you refer to.

The way it should be set up is there should be a render limit which should be as far as the eye can see and further if using a magnified scope. Meaning if your getting shot at by a sniper who is stupidly far away it should be extremely hard for them to see. It should all be reletive to the distance against the size of the object, for example it should be easier to see a tank from 600 meters than a human.

With regards to lowing the render distance for people using lower spec machines while that is a solution to make the game more playable it does then mean they are at a disadvantage which isn't really fair so they should really just utilise things like shadow, texture, light quality etc that way the game doesn't look as good although you can still see who is shooting at you.

I think they can only confirm if there are rendering issues once all of the lag issues have been resolved. Once that is the case if there are still issues with rendering then it can be investigated... until then it's not worth investigating further since if it is linked to the lag issues then that's a waste of dev time as well as money.

From reading through most of this thread it does seem to repeat itself a lot and there is a lot of attitude from various people which doesn't really help themselves as it just rubs people up the wrong way. Just an observation.
    • Up x 1
  2. Toxicmix1

sniper camper here.....:D
  3. xJammer

The amount of technical fail in this thread is staggering.

On the other hand I do, too, agree, that the render distance on infantry is infuriating for liberators.

I also do not quite understand why do devs not use selective update/render of targets, i.e. :

1) As a sniper, I would zoom in on that liberator that landed on the airpad and clearly is being repaired
    Obviously you would expect to see the engineer next to it doing the work?
    Well currently no, you helplessly see the lib getting repaired, able to reach it with your sniper rifle, but unable to see the actual target you want
    While you are zooming at that liberator, a whole ton of infantry is being updated full-bandwidth around you, including friendlies.
    Without the game being able to be smart and update the place I AM LOOKING AT RIGHT NOW.
    I also would not mind to even having a ~1 second delay for such a thing.

2) For liberator belly gunner you do not actually need to know fully updated and exact locations of infantry
    All that would suffice is just a regular ~500ms update on their positions without any serious render being done
    In the end, DO NOT draw them at all, just draw spots/radar dots/whatever, but as long as the gunner is not staring at blank ground while there is clearly a huge battle proceeding.

Above is not really a "devs must do it this way", but rather my experience with other games (such as WolfET:QW), where you could clearly see that things you cant reach/are unimportant are being updated much less frequently than what you immediately are able to affect.

Beyond player render distance people are also forgetting that ANYONE ~1km away from your will NEVER hear/see/experience your shots/screams. Even though a player who was within the 1km range, and then followed your projectile out of range, will be able to see it land and explode. (not tested if it will deal damage yet).
  4. Sorbek

No render = no damage, at least it was that way in beta.

Render distance is a serious problem in this game.
    • Up x 1
  5. Toxicmix1

another camper sniper here....oh no....old bf3 story once again

:D
  6. raw

i only have 2 cores.
  7. Gucky

The biggest 2 Problems i have encountered so far are really Lag and those render distances of players.
    The render distance of Players does not include Vehicle, Turrets or Trees.
    One Example:
    I was Sniper and looking through my scope Distance maybe less then 50-100 Meter.
    I saw a Engi Turret and the Engi was shooting with it, but then he leaves the Turret and the Engi disappers in thin Air. A few seconds later he was back at the Turret (he entered it). I shot then. After damaging the Turret (despite hitting his Head) he left it again and disappered.
    The Lag is another Problem.
    There are some people who make 10 steps in 1 go.
    People who apper and disapper each second.
    Sometimes people who just stand there and do nothing (could be a crash :p ).

I can hit all those laggers, but its a pain to aim at them.

For people who say: "Ur PeCe is bad, try 2 us laow grafix"
    8GB Ram (more then enough)
    Highspeed HDD+SSD
    Intel 3,4Ghz Quad CPU
    GTX 690 with 4GB Ram
    Using 1920x1080 on all high Grafiks with stable 60 fps even with many enemys on screen.
    • Up x 2
  8. Deschain

Lol ?, i get the same issues ram is a non starter.
    • Up x 1
  9. PlayerOneSVK

10. Thentar

If it was only that easy :) They are working on it. Funny enough, right now, the big limiting factor is physics. Some things don't matter and are eye candy physics. For example particle effects don't matter because they don't effect the world but things like parts of vehicles exploding do. Now in a single player game all you do is have the computer crunch the numbers and figure out the placement. But here hundreds of computers have to do those calculations. Things like bullet drop are included in this. Their code on the server has to be very smart not to send you info you need to then crunch slowing down your performance already. I'm not sure this code is easily extractable into their own threads.
  11. Thentar

If you don't have other stuff running 4g is fine. If your OS and base memory usage on your PC is over 1.5g then you should clean up your PC. In Beta if PS2 got over 2.5g you'd probably be closing in on a crash. I've got 16 gig and all that means is I can leave a whole ton of crap open and still play.
    • Up x 1
  12. Sphinx

I have a quite good computer and I run everything in pretty high. This said, I found myself very annoyed when a few meters away from me I see a turret shooting, but no one behind. I get closer , and closer , and dangerously closer to finally see someone manning that turret. Far behind I can clearly see vehicles and airships. It's quite annoying for Infiltrators. You get on top of a mountain think it's a nice spot to shoot at long distance, but all you see are vehicles and turrets (objects), but no one. Yet there are plenty of people dying at that specific location. It's kinda dumb
  13. KlyptoK

The game maxes out the amount of infantry it will render to you at one time. If you are in a big base battle with 300-400 people, you might notice people magically appearing out of thin air like they stepped out of a cloak bubble or "unmanned" MANA turrets shooting things in some situations. This is also why you can bombard a tank at a long distance but it doesn't kill the engineer repairing it, because he isn't rendered in. You literally can't hit what you can't see.

It mainly effects aircraft and tanks trying to perform long range artillery, but can sometimes happen around the crown or high populated areas.

It gets really ridiculous when you have 300 people fighting over a bridge and you can only see infantry less than 100 meters away. They can still shoot rockets at you though (you "magically" take damage with no rocket trails or any indication that you are about to be hit).

This is completely unrelated to the graphical render distance setting or your current fps. It's much rarer than it was in Beta, but still can be seen sometimes.

Here are some examples from Beta where it was more common:

Nope. I definitely have more than him.

In Beta, it basically used only one thread. :s

This does not change the infantry render distance limitations, which is separate.

This game's fps is bottlenecked on the processor. They have not finished thread optimization.
    • Up x 5
  14. PlayerOneSVK

Everyone look KlyptoK videos and Look what i am saying !
  15. Shnooter

We know there's an issue... although there are a lot of people that think they know the cause of the issue when we really can't tell as we haven't coded the game.

There might be a reason why they don't utilise the processor much... probably since graphics cards do a better job at parallel proccessing thus if you moved it some of the processing onto the CPU you could potentially get worse performance.

They have to find a solution to this problem that doesn't cause performance drops otherwise people who are currently just managing to play won't be able to play at all since the frame rate will be stupidly low.

They now have the videos to see the issue which is good so it's best to let them get on with resolving the bug :)
  16. Wrek

the "he needs more ram" statement has nothign to do with the issue in thsi topic, he stated it as a percassuion for OP becasue the game basically ahs a minimum of 4gb of ram. seeing as if you only have 4g total on your system atleast ½ a gig if not more will be used by the system and backround **** alone. getting more ram than that will atleast reduce crashing issues.

More ram however will not solve render/performance issues.
  17. Fenthar

Guys....
    My specs are

i7 3820
    16 gb ram
    gtx580

and I absolutely have no problem with render distance.
    Even in massive fights I can still see / snipe people which is like 300 meters away from me.. I'm talking about 100+ fights btw.

Sooo, it's either a lag problem for you or hardware issue. I don't think it's related to the game engine. It's possible when the game is optimized further, you'll have smoother and less problematic gameplay. Just bear with this or come back again later.
  18. Mossa

I have same problems in large battles "100people or more I guess". Enemies and friendlies popup 10m away. Its coded in the game, not a problem with my hardware.
  19. KlyptoK

The infantry render distance is dynamic. It cuts down when there's too many people around you.

I've only seen it twice since the game launched and I've only played for 26 hours. One where I drove my tank down a hill in a big base and suddenly there were a bunch of teammates on the road that weren't there a second ago, and some random moment fighting over a tech plant where I tried to get in position to bombard an area, only to find I had to get closer to see anyone.

i7 3770K @ 4.2 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    GTX 680 2 GB

40-60 fps in big battles.
  20. PlayerOneSVK

again read