[Suggestion] Removing the out of bounds area's on continents

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mrrobinator, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Mrrobinator

On all 4 continents we have massive pieces of land that we can't acces because these are out of bounds.
    For example the left upper corner of indar.

My idea is:

-Remove all the out of bounds area over land so that we can use it.
    -Do NOT add bases at the now unlocked land, instead player can choose how to use it, they can move tanks trough it in order to be sneaky, or they can have a little event there, or they can fly through it so they cant be spotted so easily.
    -Only make the sea/ocean out of bounds area.

I don't think it would take much work to unlock them since all you need to do is remove the out of bounds area code.
    And for warpgates, just increase the restricted area so that you cant be snooping behind a warpgate from the enemy.

Feedback or additions on this idea are very welcome
    • Up x 7
  2. Prudentia

but... but...
    new players wouldn't be able to find the actual battlefield :eek:
  3. Mrrobinator

... then they look on the map ...
  4. The_Blazing

Why not?

And while we are at it, we already have working "fake" water (Hossin), why don't we make coastal bases? The ocean water would need a prettier shader and it would still instagib you (because there is no swimming/buoyany code in this game), but at least we could have beautiful facilities stretching over the water. Some ocean water is already accessible in those tiny tiny "gaps" between the restricted area hexes. I think you can even touch ocean water right now (without dying) around Northern Indar, near the unmarked facility where the TR BFR easter egg used to be.
  5. Prudentia

SOE doesn't trust them to do that...
  6. Schizomatic

But then we'd be left with nothing but trees to counter ESF with.
  7. Axehilt

Map borders should never be encountered in normal play, but some bases are placed way too close to them currently and the simple act of flanking around that side of the base will cause you to venture past the map border.

So I think the problem is more that level designers put bases too close to the map edge. There wouldn't be any issue if bases weren't close to the edge.

But since it would probably be super time-consuming to move bases around with all the bases too near the edge, I guess tweaks to map borders might be the easier solution.
    • Up x 1
  8. Kidou

I just wish they'd move the bounderies about one or two Hexes out. That would at least give flanking a little more bit of wiggle room.

I remember the other day when I was flying around NS Material storage, I think it was I was trying to flank the tanks that had gathered in the canyon. Flying front side would have been suicide, but flanking put me dangerously close to the end of the out of bounds timer.
  9. MajiinBuu

Oh no, a skyguard is about to kill me! Quick, fly out over the ocean where it can't reach me!
  10. NoctD

So when we hit the wall that is the outer limits, we all just go boom? :eek:

The buffer exists for a reason.

And the final goal of the game - of course I doubt SOE will ever deliver - is one seamless planet with all continents connected, and we might even get boats!
    • Up x 1
  11. lothbrook

Good job not reading his post.
  12. MajiinBuu

I did read it. You can't just have a few hexxes jutting out to cover some useless islands or stretches of land, you'd have to expand the entire map. :rolleyes:
  13. Mrrobinator

No genius.... the water would be out of bounds read before you speak you ignorant forumsider
  14. Mrrobinator

No genius.... the water would be out of bounds read before you speak you ignorant forumsider
  15. MajiinBuu

Think before making a ridiculous thread with a terrible idea that will never be implemented, ever. :rolleyes:
  16. Ronin Oni

Actually....

The goal is to have oceans fully accessible

The border is as it is so you can't escape their renderable area before blowing up to timer.... not because of gameplay reasons or anything, but current technical limitations
    EDIT:

Except that.. within a 4-5 years, it WILL be done.... (that's the goal at least)
  17. Mrrobinator

18. Ronin Oni

You screwed up your post... need to fix the quote tags.

In any case, why in hell would pilots just fly and fight over the oceans?

Only time we'd go out over the oceans is to flank around... but there's nothing to FIGHT OVER over the ocean, so no... we wouldn't fight there unless caught flanking.

Also, the point is we'll be able to FLY from Hossin, to Indar etc.
  19. Zapon

The boundaries USED to go further out, the devs then tightened it up on the maps, ....still dont quite understand why, but I dont know how thye are doing with the long term plan to improve the boundaries- let alone set up what would eventually be seamless transfers
  20. Mrrobinator

TO CLARIFY: OCEAN IS RESTRICTED, LAND IS NOT
    OCEAM=OUT OF BOUNDS