Removing headshot bonus?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tozze101, Apr 28, 2018.

1. CplRDaWiggy

Vanu on Ceres usually has lowest pop, thus you get very new accounts just acting like rabid hamsters that just happen to have guns instead of teeth. I get they are new with no explanation given to them, but being new is no excuse for being blatantly stupid.

As for NC, yeah, I dunno what the hell is wrong with them.
  2. FateJH

That's actually a curious idea. Let's attach it to a metric and see what happens. Since headshots are a kill thing, KDR.

"A player with KDR less than 1.0 gets an inverse scaled higher headshot bonus.
    "Between a KDR of 1.0 and n, the bonus is normal.
    "Above a KDR of n, there is no headshot bonus."
  3. Halkesh

Now you say it, it's often the case for me too, but I've the reflex to Q-spot everything. :p

Damm you CplRDaWiggy, everytime I see your avatar I think I'm schizophrenic and already have answered on this thread.

To sumarise the ideas about what have been told on this thread about headshot-bodyshot TTK :
    • Disagree + this is fine just git gud (#4, #12, #15, #20, #28, #30)
    • Remove nanoweave (#2, #3, #6, #10, #31)
    • Make nanoweave work on non-sniper headshot (#13)
    • Keep HS ttk the same, lower bodyShot ttk (#5, #38)
    • Slightly lower HS bonus for full-auto weapon or everything except BASR, SASR, BR, Scout Rifle (#13, #31)
    • Drastically lower HS bonus (#10, #11, #39)
    • Change the HS bonus weapon per weapon (#14, #36)
    • Cyrious Gaing video about headshot ( #17)
    • It isn't fun when you're dead before you can even react. Insta-death isn't fun (#26)
    • I do not know about you mates, but personally I am sick and tired to have only one continent active (#27, #30)
    • HS + no matchmaking kill New Player Experience (#26, #27))
    • Considering lag + human reaction time, 0.3sec ttk is instadeath (#27)
    • "Make no mistake, we're *really* talking about nerfing something that is skill based. Something that will harm most of us participating in this discussion. We need sustainability or our "farm" will grow barren." (#29)
    • Replace headshot bonus damage by reward on headshot kill that improve your chance to chain-kill without increasing your 1v1 power (#29)
    • How do we keep new player until they git gud ? (#30)
    • Can't tell friend from foe (OOT)
    • Weapon specific HS bonus change + nanoweave removal (#49)
    On a totally biased POV I'll put this here :
    • Up x 1
  4. adamts01

It's a terrible idea. Lessening the performance gap between vets and noobs is fine, as it lets noobs feel like they have a chance, or at least put up a fight. Artificially raising their performance while handicapping better players is a bad direction to go, as it punishes practice and success.
    • Up x 4
  5. LaughingDead

Ah no, poor choice of words, I meant specific from gun to gun.
    • Up x 1
  6. FateJH

True. It's something of a odd point, though. Does a person who can maintain that sort of performance without a headshot multiplier need the multiplier anymore?
  7. LodeTria

Well yeah if they are using bolt actions, battle rifles, slug shotguns or any of the sub-par guns like MKV-suppressed. Would also mess up pistol balance for them.
    • Up x 1
  8. Gustavo M

You forgot mentioning about how it simplifies the game -- making it bland for both sides of the coin.
    I already said it once in this thread and I will say it again -- there's better ways to make the game feel more "attractive" and interesting to newbies other than nerfing/simplifying the game.
  9. MKEYCKOR

Cyrious gaming is not a good infantry player. Only poor/bad players ask for this change. Besides the guy with medical conditions limiting his physical ability, you're willfully choosing to ignore improving at the game.

Nanoweave is a huge problem and should be removed from the game. This is an obvious thing to anyone with half a brain. This change alone lowers the disparity between someone who only aims for the body and someone who is proficient at chaining headshots.

There are so many skill gap compression mechanics in this game already yet that's still not enough for you guys. Having a longer TTK works in games with lower player counts. It doesn't work so great in shooters with large numbers of players because these large numbers of players with longer TTKs essentially become just roaming zergs/blobs of hp. The headshot multiplier being what it is in the game now is one of the very few ways a skilled infantry player can have a meaningful impact quickly thinning herds of bot people.

Again, I'm 1000% against the current form of nanoweave () but simultaneously changing various headshot multipliers is just going to bleed even more players from the game when there are two actual solutions on the table already. Gitgud/remove nanoweave.
    • Up x 2
  10. adamts01

Consider my earlier example. What if we buff nanoweave to a 90% reduction and halve the head hitbox? That would be a massive buff to skilled players, but absolutely drive away the majority of us. This just goes to show that these multipliers can be and should be adjusted, to deal with meta change and new additions to the game. 2x headshot bonus is just a number. I think 1.75 would be ideal, but 1.8 might be the sweet spot. This doesn't mean skill is nerfed, just that gameplay is being fine tuned.
    • Up x 1
  11. JibbaJabba

Again, just glad this is a healthy discussion. Lots of varying opinions but lots of best intentions. Best thread I've seen in a while.
  12. adamts01

git gud n00b
    • Up x 3
  13. infilallday

Id give my left nut to be able to change factions. Ive put so many certs and BC into my NC infil that i couldnt bear to start again.
    Usually if i get a teamkiller i make it my mission to stalk them and keep killing them back until they quit or warp somewhere else.
    Havent had my weapon locked yet thankfully. I hate the a holes
    • Up x 1