Removing headshot bonus?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tozze101, Apr 28, 2018.

1. FateJH

What I believe we're forgetting to distinguish is that some weapons that are considered fully automatic by the playerbase also have semi-automatic fire modes. Burst weapons must also be considered. We should be varying the headshot multiplier, if by the type of weapon fire, on the current fire mode, not the weapon taken as a whole.

The interest in maintaining current conditions is also an important consideration in quality control.
    • Up x 1
  2. DarkStarAnubis

True, but how many people switch LMGs to single shot mode during a battle and for which reason? It looks like yet useless gimmick because you can single shot any weapon if you lightly tap LMB.

Burst weapons (are you referring to burst carbines, burst sidearms like the NS-45 or Spiker and oddities like the Yumi?) ... Honestly I have no clear idea in mind but I am more inclined to handle them like Autos.

Note:

DBG isn't very clear at design level: if you look at sidearms semi-auto and full-auto pistols share the same HS multiplier (standard 2.0) however for some odd reasons the full-auto Emissary is penalized with 1.8:
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/NS-61_Emissary

At the same time DBG allows monsters like the NS-45 Pilot, at 8m a stalker by pulling the trigger one time can deliver a 3xburst of 200 DMG each, 600DMG in total, 1200 DMG to the head within 160ms, talking about insta-death:
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/NS-45_Pilot
    • Up x 1
  3. JibbaJabba

Hm, not sure. Maybe it is different. The friendly Doritos do not appear for all friendlies instantly on PC. There are times when you'll have to identify solely by avatar appearance. The comical "giraffe camo" videos you can find out there demonstrate the issue.

IFF detection is challenging in the PC game at least. 100% of people I've introduced to the game have mentioned it.
    • Up x 1
  4. adamts01

Single shot mode is gimmicky, but burst fire weapons could use a little love, and this variable headshot bonus would be an excellent way to do that. As for single shot vs auto, Arma a Squad really nailed that, but I'm sure that this community wouldn't be up for that level of simulation.
  5. DarkStarAnubis

Re IFF: same here.

During an intense indoor firefight you may not have the time to figure out who is who.

I killed a fellow NC truly believing he was a VS HA (I swear I had seen a VS helmet...). My fault anyway and I excused myself on the chat.

Conversely, during a Biolab battle as VS I run happily toward a Max to offer help only to be shredded to smithereens... He was NC with a pink camo.
    • Up x 1
  6. Halkesh

About pilot and emissary, it's just that devs don't share this kind of vision, their allow pilot to do that because of the harsh recoil, while reducing the effectiveness of the emissary headshot machine.

Semi automatic is useful for new player that lack trigger discipline and aren't aware that shoting at enemy that are too far isn't a good idea. (low chance to kill the target, high chance to get sniped).
    This feature could be more useful if first shot recoil multiplicater was removed from SA mode on full auto weapons.

About headshot/bodyshot TTK, I'm for 2 solutions :

Idea1:
    -remove nanoweave (so bodyshot ttk is ~0,6 sec)
    -keep HSM to x2 (ttk range from 0,3 to 0,36sec) or slightly lower it to x1,75 (so ttk range from 0,344 to 0,4).

Idea2:
    -remove nanoweave armor
    -drastically reduce HSM to 1,25 or x1 (so ttk range from 0,48 to 0,525)
    -killing people with at least an headshot will give you a bonus that allow you easier chain-kill without increasing your 1v1 potential (like starting regenerate the shield, faster reload speed or stealing ammo). That's not an implant.
  7. JibbaJabba

I'm really encouraged by the constructive discussion an attitudes here.

@Roxxy, can we get some dev views on this?
  8. adamts01

Yeah, I think everyone has those moments. Personally, I see any infil with pink armor as fair game. They're wearing that to confuse players on purpose, so they kind of have it coming to them, especially if they're the high-ping knifey type.
    • Up x 1
  9. LaughingDead

I'd like to see personalized headshot changes with removal of nanoweave.
  10. infilallday

Has to be a difference in PC and PS4 in this case i think.
    Im not trying to come across like an elitist or anything. I even checked again last night to make sure it was as simple as im saying and indeed, there are no problems on PS4 telling the factions apart. It is super easy to such a point where recognition is instant.
  11. CplRDaWiggy

True.

Which is exactly why all the team killing is so bemusing.
  12. JibbaJabba

I've not played the PS4 version. I'll take your word for it.

Please take mine that it's a challenge on PC.

Or better yet...
    • Up x 3
  13. adamts01

By "personalized" do you mean a different value from player to player, or gun to gun? Because the former is a little crazy.

That's ridiculous. If you had a suppressed NS11C you would have been reported for team-killing.
  14. infilallday

Then we have a deal! lol

Seriously man, I do believe you. Ive seen a couple of posts saying the same thing as you. Not being able to tell them apart would be the last thing i need.

The faction uniforms should be completely different, i agree with that 100%
    But every faction should have access to uniforms that provides passive camo. I try to choose camo that blends my character into the environment so i dont have to rely on cloak when im sitting still.
    How would we keep factions completely different without denying access to camos that work in the same environment? Different shapes maybe? But then one faction might be easier to spot and hit due to the shape.

Ill hop back on PS2 tonight and record what exactly the PS4 does to combat this problem.
    • Up x 1
  15. infilallday

Oh the age old team kills. Does this happen across all platforms and factions?
    Or is it just NC on PS4? man it pisses me off lol
  16. Sprant Flere-Imsaho

Since the subject of identifying friend from foe has hijacked this thread, I'll throw this at ya... Instead of using the confusing default colors for empires, do what I did; set your chosen empire to have bright green labels and use red for the enemies. Super simple and easy. Now, if you're an empire jumping fairweather turn coat, it's not going to help you so much unless you want to go into the settings every time.
    [IMG]
  17. Halkesh

About IFF, I can't understand how people struggle that much. I know I'm a veteran, but can't player tell who is who between UI (dorito and crossair that turn red if you aim at the general direction of the enemy within 15m, 150m with non-asmatic-breath implants).
    For the rest you have uniform.

I know people use dorito a lot by being TKed a lot on ikanam bio lab stairs (dorito don't appear).
  18. adamts01

Friendly infantry quite often don't have a dorito on my screen.
  19. Sprant Flere-Imsaho

Are the people having problems with IFF exclusively dirty console peasants? If so, I shant concern myself any further.
  20. infilallday

Quite the other way around it would seem, perhaps your superior PC brain just skimmed over that bit...

And yes we have totally hi-jacked this thread. Should really get back on topic