Remove the referral system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rendezvous, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agriv8

Plain and simple i'm a solo player and i want to buy what was made recruit a friend exclusive. I'm not the social type to go in to make friends. I log in to do cool things with my reaver/harrasser and take out enemies in a myriad of ways to relax and forget about the stressful time i've spent at work with a bunch of A-holes just so i can pay my bills. To be honest most of what's in the rewards are what i'd already expected to eventually be in the game, but not in this manner. So now i have to get others to join and spend money so i can obtain these items. Listen SOE I bust my **** all day and then i go home, the closest things i have to friends are co-workers who are far older than i am working a blue collar job whos interests involve talking about football and or sitting on a small fishing boat in the middle of know where to catch a bass. Other than that i'm not someone who goes out of his way to deal with people.

Wake up > Eat breakfast > Go to work > Bust **** > break for lunch > Go home > Chillax

No where in that order of events does it say "go out when your already exhausted to socialize". I work 6am-2:30pm 6 days a week, getting people to join is not that simple and i also don't have large disposable income. A snowballs chance in hell i'll spend 250 dollars for a Foreman-SE Helmet
    • Up x 4
  2. JonnyBeanTown

This horse has been beaten beyond all recognition. They aren't going to change anything about the recruit a friend system anytime soon. When they realize it won't work, they will. Until then, no amount of complaining will change their minds.
  3. Phrygen

I personally think they will change it in about 6 months...
    It depends if they let people make their own vanity like in dota 2
  4. ComradeHavoc

Logic<Greed

Money>people
    • Up x 1
  5. Reload59

I'm not ready to stop beating this dead horse! I just got here! I want my black camo SOE!
    Seriously just give us the cosmetics and make the recruit rewards various boosts or membership for a couple months.
    • Up x 1
  6. Skaldir

I don't care about the referral system itself, but i am on ps2 since the beta and all my friends already know about the game and only one kept playing past the first week and bought sc, so how am i supposed to get all those exclusive items aside from spamming referral links on random forums or to create 25 accounts myself and spend 250$.

So keep the referral system, but ffs, don't put an exclusive tag on items that you're current playerbase might be interested to buy in the shop.

And i fail to see how it makes the game anybetter. Imo GU13 is the worst update to hit the game
  7. Rhapsody

They dont have to pull the recruitment drive. This thread has actually derailed from the title just a bit.

None of us really care about the Recruitment drive. If SOE thinks it'll help PS2, then great.

What we ARE upset about, is the 'exclusiveness' of items that they dangled in front of us for weeks, just like they do with everything else they put on the market. Then, seeing that there was a high interest in those items, decided to throw them into a program designed to get them 250$ in 'burst' profits, and the 'side-effect' of possibly gaining new players.

Its a money-grab, not a recruitment program, in its current form.

Almost all of the controversy would go away if the helmets, Lumifiber, and Cammo were able to be purchases 'separately/individually' in the store, like every single other item they dangled in front of us has been.
  8. Rhapsody

Their Greed for a 'quick' 250$ burst-income is costing them Money in the form of 180$ a year per person who, like me, has canceled their recurring subscriptions because of this.
    • Up x 4
  9. Damingo

come on give us what we want already. Take our MONEY!!!!
  10. Phrygen

They wont take your money!!

maybe if we throw the money at them in coin form they will accept it!
    • Up x 1
  11. Morticai

It is unlikely.
  12. Phrygen

I honestly believe they will make equivalents or make these available in around 3-4 months. Its just bad business not to.
  13. Being@RT

I believe so too. They can't remove this program anymore since no doubt some people are trying to achieve the impossible. Pulling the rug from under their feet would just be twisting the knife..

I still think it's a terrible recruitment program even if the items involved were different.. the goals are far too high considering the game quality as long as the requirement to spend real cash is included.
  14. Gustavo M

...aaaand the magic word is:
    "Optional".
  15. Morticai

Magic term is:
    "Opportunity cost"

You're the fifth person to bring this up and the counter-point stands. Read through the topic before posting uninformed garbage.
  16. Gustavo M

...through something that is entirely optional; i.e you can simply ignore and move on that nothing will affect/change a specific thing while doing so.

In short:
  17. EliteEskimo

I'm in a similar boat as you, I have a Sales/Marketing Job 9AM -5PM 6 days a week, and afterwards I might lift weights/chat with girlfriend and then game. Even as a Marketing agent I don't want to do marketing/sales work all day every day just for some items I'd rather just buy.

Finishing up my Senior Year at my University and Majoring in Marketing with an Emphasis in Business to Business I can tell you that SOE is making some major marketing 101 mistakes. All their customers are begging and pleading that they want the product, so demand is really high, and they have an unlimited supply of the product so potential profit is through the roof. Yet what does SOE do, make us jump through hoops in some sort of Amway type routine that none of the consumers want to do. Not only is this a huge waste of the product you spent time and money to design and advertise for the product's release, it's actively teasing your customer to the extent they are pissed off at you and in some cases you are losing money because of it.

Lol if only SOE would hire me for their marketing team, there is so much that I see that could be done to milk the community and in a way that the community would approve of. *Shrugs*
  18. ValorousBob

Trick your irritating co-workers into using your recruitment link to PS2, then kill them repeatedly to relieve stress.
  19. IAmTheCandyMan

I like the referral system as it is. Its a good way for SOE to get new people in their game and mabye spending money. The only thing that i might change is for SOE to put the exclusive rewards in the cash shop, but for at LEAST 10times what normal camo costs. This way it is still pretty exclusive rewards, but you can still buy them if you really want to.
  20. Morticai

Again, you haven't read the thread, so I'll provide the point that you're missing. We want to pay for it. We don't want to bring in people that don't exist, we simply want to pay for it now. They don't want that cash, so let's do some math here.

Take the opportunity of fifty bucks and swap it out for zero, you get zero. Divide that zero by twenty five and you get zero.

That's the problem. They have the opportunity to market it, and unfortunately they won't. They'll go with a system almost a year too late. That emans that they risk making no profit, rather than the guaranteed profit of people buying it now. This in turn costs us as the players, because the expected income from this isn't met, which leads to financial cutbacks, to compensate for the failed gambit. That means features aren't included as scheduled and the game drags on with issues that could have been resolved.

We're not just without the opportunity to buy something, we're without the opportunity to support the game with incentives that we've wanted for a while now.

That's not our choice here, It's SOE's choice. Their opportunity cost, their failure, not ours.
    • Up x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.