Remove the Infiltrator IFF!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ztiller, Jun 25, 2013.

1. haldolium

It's bugged currently. Sometimes it doesn't work and now people take it for granted that it must be an enemy infiltrator then...

I wouldn't mind if they revert it.
  2. Mefi

Thing is... infiltrator cloak sometimes doesn't glow, so allies think that the infiltrator is an enemy.
  3. Tasp

It seems obvious that with this "quality of life" update SOE is trying to tell Infils that they are supposed to be snipers. Which is odd given that the name for the class would lead you to believe that they are supposed to work in close quarters. I suck at sniping, I've been playing a SMG infil since SMGs were released and lately I've been having to go back to playing HA and Medic because I die so much faster.

The slightest glimmer across an enemies screen and, the tiniest bit of LOS they get on me and I know chances are someone's gonna come investigate.

"I see a cloak! Bad Guy- Definitely!"

Now this does occasionally feed me kills, but in a large fight when there are multiple guys coming to investigate it makes things a pain in the ***. I generally survive the first encounter of this sort thanks to an emp grenade, but once my grenade is gone the next encounter usually leads to my death.

At this point I can infiltrate just as well with a regular non cloaking class....

That or SOE can give us decoy grenades that make a shimmer cloak decoy (or several) instead of its current useless form....
    • Up x 1
  4. MjrWoody

This is a not a good change. Infil relies on confusion as well as staying hidden to do their job. The confusion is not there anymore so if you see an infil and they aren't glowing while cloaked mow them down.

It is surprising how often confusion gets me passed large groups of enemies and to my objective. that split second the enemy thinks about it before shooting can save you.

No positive value in this change.

And most folks running across the street need to look both ways before crossing.
    • Up x 2
  5. Nocturnal7x

You must be new here. Welcome to planetside 2, enjoy your probably short probably aggravating stay :D
  6. Bill Hicks

He was like " you got beef ? "
  7. Ztiller

Tell me, do you actually play Infiltrator? And if you do, do you play CQC or Sniper?
  8. LokiGwayyn

Bad change pls remove. Dont give even more easy kills to trigger-happy people. Even FPS-players should take a look at what they are aiming at BEFORE they shoot.
  9. Astraka

Isn't it obvious? The only people in favor of this change do not actually play the Infiltrator in close quarters. Time & time again this has proven to be true. It kills me to see people who literally have no experience acting like they know that this is a good change. It would be as if I, with 59 combined kills in an aircraft, acted as if I had the experience to speak about Air Combat.
    • Up x 3
  10. Apples

Yeah I'm getting shot/run over just as much as before if not more and the enemies are two fold having an easier time of spotting enemy snipers with graphics settings to + no IFF on infs at farther ranges they don't need to think twice. You could have snuck up on 5 guys about to take them out and somebody 200 meters behind spots you without IFF and the entire surprise attack is blown. If not for the IFF you could have killed at least 2 if not all of them. If we truly must have an IFF on infiltrators it needs to be SHORT range only and have a short delay before it registers. This of course would only be a middle ground for those who don't care to pay enough attention to determine between friend or foe infiltrators at close range in which case having IFF makes no difference because they didn't care to identify and learn the clear different shapes of each faction's infiltrator, or even make an effort to figure out which was which in the first place. (Shoot first and listen for 10 buzzes to be sure it's not an enemy types.)
  11. Consumer

Wow, I can't believe there is even any traction for you idiots to be speaking out against such a minor change.

I doubt it's only me, but I rarely heard about the cloak's strength lying in its confusion in the context you guys try to twist it into. The confusion it does cause is an effective disappearance of an enemy or even the difficulty to find an infiltrator you hear or are certain is nearby. Really, are you going to argue that all Infiltrators should have the same cloak/uncloak sound effect in order to carry on such a ridiculous argument about confusion that the commenters in this thread seemed to have conceived since the update?

Also, this isn't fundamentally impacting the efficacy and purpose of a class. If you really believe so, that's as naive or naively impressionable as you can get. It doesn't take a "dedicated" player of the Infiltrator class to have any salt in what he or she says. If you believe that, that's probably more naive or naively elitist as you can get.

Now I never had any issues distinguishing friendly and enemy cloakers apart, because apparently I'm in the minority in checking my minimap intently and looking for friendly indicators diligently. And in fact, it doesn't take long at all to distinguish the alliance of a cloaked player with these measures. Now, for the people who don't, are you arguing that watching for these HUD elements is a skill? If not, how is a clearer, more intuitive measure for friendlies to identify friendly Infiltrators any less different except helping out teammates?

I've had my fair share of encountering enemies who cloak well as well as playing as an Infiltrator, over 40 hours of which accounting for 10% of playtime I suppose doesn't begin to rival you entitled fools. (Not to mention if you believe that only people who have an invested interest in a matter are the only people that should have a say, that probably contradicts all you've grown up hearing and learning.) And any player worth his or her salt isn't going to be confused between who's a friendly and who's not, between various HUD indicators, distinct faction-specific cloak sounds, and the cloaking patterns of enemy Infiltrators. So the last thing I have to say is that, if you truly, truly, believe that the main strength of the class you know and love so much lies in arbitrarily tricking your enemy into thinking you're one of them, you don't know what the purpose of your class is.
  12. 8BitArchitect

It'd be nice if SOE actually listened to the playerbase on this, or at least had a 'quick revert' hotfix available after foisting it on us when we said no.

Honestly (and not to make light of it at all) but it's almost like pushing your significant other into an encounter when they told you 'NO' (had to word that weirdly due to forum censors). You are a ****** if you do so anyway, or at the very least don't stop when they say 'NO' again.

EDIT: This was on my next tab, and I just had to add it to my post after watching.
  13. Gunivar

Not understanding what exactly the negative of the feature is.
    The actual debate is about how invisible the cloak should make the player, not whether it can trick an enemy or not into thinking he/she may be an ally.
    The Cloak is not meant to be a split-second TF2 Disguise Kit.
  14. Astraka

Mate, by your own admission you barely play the class. Why on earth would you think that with your limited experience you could tell us that you know more about an ability that we have used for days (in some cases months) of playtime? You're typing as if you know more about a class & ability than people who have dedicated their entire PS2 career playing, I can only wonder as to why you would pretend to know so much about something you clearly know very little about.

The cloak pre-GU11 worked well because it played on confusing your enemies, I know you don't believe that and think yourself above the common rabble that fell for it but trust us as veterans of the class. It required quick movements, bailing constantly around corners or over catwalks, and generally avoiding being in someone line-of-sight for more than a second because if you stayed in LOS you were cooked. Obviously the cloaking effect has some bearing on whether you are successful or not, but because the cloak is weak the confusion & hesitation the cloak brought was just as important and was a safety net in those situations where someone's eye caught your shimmer.

This IFF indicator kills that vital portion of the cloak's effectiveness. I won't go so far as to say it's useless because it still removes spotting and prevents you from rendering at long distances, but in close quarters you're kidding yourself if you think it is just as effective as it was before.

Please understand that I'm not saying you can't have an opinion on this as I think its important for people to voice them, but don't lace it with comments like, "the cloak never did that", or "no one is dumb enough to be confused by the cloak", because you literally do not have any idea what you're talking about.

As a long time Infiltrator, this part is my favorite. I just thought you should know that. ;)

If you played the class in close quarters you would know exactly what the negative of the feature is. Please read some of the posts other than the OP's for clarification.
    • Up x 3
  15. Fned

Definition of INFILTRATE

transitive verb
    : to cause (as a liquid) to permeate something by penetrating its pores or interstices
    : to pass into or through (a substance) by filtering or permeating
    : to pass (troops) singly or in small groups through gaps in the enemy line
    : to enter or become established in gradually or unobtrusively usually for subversive purposes <the intelligence staff had been infiltrated by spies>

So, we've, like, had it wrong all this time, and what the Infiltrator class is actually supposed to be about is... um... turning into liquid...? or something?

I guess that would explain the cloaking sound effects
    • Up x 3
  16. Ztiller

Exactly. If it was a good change, we wouldn't have pretty much every single CQC Infiltrator hate it.

When was the last time a class got pissed off over a "buff" to their own class? If this actualyl was a buff, we would have been happy.
    • Up x 1
  17. Ztiller

No, but since the Cloak is imperfect, have a short duration and a distinct faction-specific sound when used and we thus can't really rely on staying hidden in the first place, Confusion was the only thing we had left.
    • Up x 1
  18. Camycamera

i see your point, but pre-GU11 i could tell who was an enemy cloak and who wasn't because of that floating blue arrow with a name on it :D
  19. Ztiller

What's easier to notice, a small flashlight or a huge beacon straight in your face?
  20. RoMoronik666

Exactly. So there was no need for a change....