[Suggestion] Remove Nanoweave

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FirePhox, Sep 19, 2021.

1. FirePhox

So the current Nanoweave change is, utterly terrible. It's basically a nerf for classes that rely on movement to survive(LA,Medic,Engi) and a buff by proxy to Heavies (HP difference), bolters (the last class in the game that needs buffing) vehicles and MAXs.

If you don't run nanoweave then you're at a disadvantage in a firefight, especially at midrange, and that feels bad; but if you do run it then the game feels like crap because you have lead weights tied to your ankles and absolutely nothing has been soved:

2.5x Headshot Multiplier? Still there
    Lack of suit slot diversity? Still there
    Huge EHP differences between Non HA classes not running it and a HA with it? Still there

Just get rid of it already. Almost nobody thinks that NW is good for the game, it could be if it was repurposed to be an anti-cheese suit slot but I'm just tired of it existing at this point and want it gone.

I've played on-off since the games release and I think this might be the single worst change that they have made in the games history.
    • Up x 4
  2. YellowJacketXV

I'm actually inclined to agree.
    Just make Nanoweave armor a heavy Assault cert option, same as how engineers have that air repair, medics have vehicle heal, and infiltrators have turret hack speed.

This has been a problem in game for far too long. Ever since BASR mains griped that headshots with nanoweave weren't one hit kills.
  3. Coliax

I really dont unterstand this nerf.
    Goal: Nerf good players and buff new players
    Change: 10% Slow and no longer works on HA overshield

Like really? What do you think all the new heavy assault players are gonna experience now? They gonne run 10% slower until someone tells them to get ASC.
    The nerf to HA overshield is also nice for balance (im a HA main myself with 68% playtime on heavy and around 4k hours).
    But honestly the difference is like one bullet. You loose around 112 EHp with this change, that is no where close to be enough to get ppl to not use this. Adrena + Nanoweave is still better than resist on bodyshots, and resist has the be active pre fight.

I totally agree that the best move would be to remove it or change it completly (maybe increase it to 30% but remove small arms, so that nanoweave becomes an option against Kobalt, Spur, Banshee etc. (for spur and banshe ofc only if you also use response jacket with it).

If the difference between the best in slot and the next best option is to great that thas unhealthy for the game
    • Up x 1
  4. JibbaJabba

Pfft. I had no problem with the change.

Some nuanced exceptions but as a whole I went here:
    The engies loadouts that still had NWA got ASC
    The LAs that had it got Adrenaline Pump
    The medics loadouts that had NWA and not bando, got flak or bando
    The heavies I switched to Flak since I was already there on a couple loadouts anyway.

Dusts hands ... done.

Anyone that runs it is just gonna be 10% easier to shoot which makes those unprotected headshots a bit easier.
  5. A-T-L

As long as the Devs play Heavy Assault then they're not going to nerf it.

& Guess what the Devs play = Heavy Assault.

This game is custom tailored to the Devs playstyle. All of their updates are custom tailored to their playstyles. & Guess what faction they play...

The only thing that needs to be nerfed in this game is Recursion "Injection". I'm a returning player still seeing people abuse wallhacks and closet hacking aimbot just enough to not overkill the headshot ratio. Again tho, the Devs use Recursion and literally gave a small group of people the blessing to hack in this game through it.

Literally watched a twitch streamer hunt people down with a wall hack and guess what, "Double Kill" "Multi-Kill" "Mega-Kill" Recursion BS running the injection. Disgusting... Disgusting... Disgusting...
  6. Somentine

Heavy got hit the worst with this nerf, for multiple reasons.

Try again lol.
  7. Exileant

o_O This is what happens when people cry about things they should not have.... :D I bet everyone would be much happier if it went back to normal, huh? Glass half full, It might put a stop to all this unrealistic Supernentendo/Neo-Geo style movement patterns perform via Jitterbugging. o_O No human moves that fast left and right repeatedly while sprinting.
  8. JibbaJabba

Imma set you straight.

Recursion has no "injection". You've been listening to Prokor or some other idiot.

It's simply a graphics overlay (like discord, steam, nvidia, you name it) combined with a Planetside API query engine. It does not obtain any of it's data by "injecting" (you don't even know wtf that means btw) into the client. It simply queries that data from the server in realtime.... well when the API works right anyway.

Do NOT let people tell you this game is riddled with hackers. When you see them, you'll know it. Flying aimbots and ****. The guy that's just dunking on you over and over? He's got 5k hours in the game and does warmup reps in Kovaks aim trainer before he gets on to carve through your whole squad. Don't hackusate him or rage or you'll just hand a screenshot trophy. They aren't typically jerks if you aren't a jerk first. They are just gamers.

I would HIGHLY recommend recursion for anyone currently playing the game. I don't use the ingame overlay myself but the audio that it adds to the game really enhances planetside. There is good reason why Dev blesses this stat tracker.
  9. Botji

They could make NW reduce damage from MAXes... would probably be quite popular if it also had half decent Light anti-vehicle and splash damage reduction as well since its a nice to have, especially for new people, helps a little against grenades and stuff.

Main part would be a high damage resistance against the MAX AI weapons though which I think also would benefit new players quite a lot but still be a viable option for more experienced players.
  10. InexoraVC

absolutely correct statements.
    But instead of removing nanoweave I'd suggest to add other options:
    1. get back previous state of Nanoweave Armor (e.g. no -10% speed reduction, because the speed reduction is made in favour of snipers)
    2. Suit slot: add Reinforced Helmet = 25% headshot resistance
    3. Auxullary shield buff from 50 to 150 points.
    4. No sniper rifle aiming down the sight while in cloak (infiltrator nerf)
    5. Nanite Mesh Generator reload time decrease from 20 sec to 10 sec. E.g. make NMG useful
    6. Resist Shield no movement speed penalty if no NWA equipped in suit slot
    7. Battering Ram Suit Module: 50% front damage reduction for 3 sec for 350 nanites.
  11. Somentine

Considering one of the biggest reasons for people wanting rid of NWA is that it makes BTK inconsistent (which is just a bad argument in general), most of these would not sit well.

Basically, there are 3 main arguments:

1a. That it messes with the BTK, leading to inconsistent damage.
    1b. That there is no visual indication of this damage resistance.

2. That it favours headshots too much, and causes headshots to do an effective 2.5x multi (in cases where the base is 2.0). This leads to a large divide among the skill floor and ceiling; or more aptly, that the difference between a good player with good aim and everyone else is too large.

3. That NWA is too good of a slot to not take, and that stifles build diversity.

There are a few other minor ones, but they mostly take from those 3 arguments.

The absolute best outcome would be to remove NWA, but balance the weapons damage models and other damage resistances around the loss of NWA to roughly keep the current TTK without the effective 2.5 multi on headshots. This would be an absurd amount of work (imo), and require a lot of fine tuning and balance passes, but it would definitely be the best.

A 'quick' fix would be to remove NWA, but boost every players hp/shields by 200 (either 100/100, or 200 in one, etc.), which would effectively keep the same TTK except for HS (which the TTK would increase rather than stay the same). Probably get backlash from good players. Also means more downtime or balance required for healing/recovery.

Another would be to keep NWA, give it a visual indicator somehow, and create/divide suit slots into defensive and utility, effectively power creeping the game. Have things like Flak/NWA in defensive, and ammo belt/bando in utility. Problem with this is that it doesn't satisfy arguments 1 or 2.

The above also goes for just applying a 20% passive to all infantry while removing NWA. Wouldn't satisfy arguments 1 or 2.

Finally, just remove NWA (or the 20% small arms resistance) without balancing the game, and deal with the backlash.

What absolutely not to do: Nerf it through stupid means while not satisfying any of the above 3 arguments.
  12. Amador

I'll give you guys a bit of nostalgia to build your opinions upon.

In Planetside 1, armors were broken down as follows:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    • Infiltrator Suit = Fastest Speed, No Armor (Est. Speed x2.0)
    • Respawn Suit = Fast Speed, Light Armor (Est. Speed x1.5) (Does not exist in PS2)
    • Agile Armor = Medium Speed, Medium Armor (Est. Speed x1)
    • Rexo Armor = Slow Speed, Heavy Armor (Est. Speed x0.5)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    First mistake of PS2 is that they abandoned sensible balancing in PS1. And PS1 had a system where you could at least rely on speed to maneuver over a more formidable opponent. We also had an implant called "Surge" which allowed you to run at high speeds, but you couldn't use your weapon.

Also in PS1, there was no "critical hit" location, meaning there was no such thing as headshots. Being shot anywhere, be in the head, torso, arms or legs, had all the same damage values.
    If you want my opinion?

Get rid of Nanoweave and Flak armor entirely. Establish "base resistance" values based upon the purpose of each class. Add movement speed increases/decreases according to classes that have light/medium/heavy armor.

Getting rid of Nanoweave and Flak armor will finally allow players to pick preferencial choices, such as "extra ammo", "extra mine pouches" or "extra grenade pouches" etc.

I have no idea why they put in nanoweave and flak armor for infantry when Heavy Assault already has a shield and fully certed medics can perform nearly instant revives.

The Heavy Assault class should have never been given nanoweave or flak armor. Their class has a shield. Timing the use of the "Personal Shield" should have been the skill mastery of the player to actively mitigate damage using their shield.

Also if Heavy Assault has a fixed speed reduction, then there's no point in slowing them down even more while using "Personal Shield". It should be part of their class design. Use it wisely.
  13. YellowJacketXV

The best part is that this change has passively raised my mobility as I hardly ever run nanoweave because 1 bullet difference really doesn't change much for me.

I feel agile as hell running next to people now.
  14. Nighda Venesis

I've been starting to think there should be no resistances at all in the game (not referring to resistance types, that's key for vehicles), and that things should just be balanced around things like nanoweave, flak, composite, flanker armor, auxiliary shield not existing anymore (i.e. nerfs to certain things that become too powerful as a result).

Could be I'm just ******' tired of NWA and that's radicalized me but I don't really see any value in opt in resistances at the moment and just want a consistent experience.