[Suggestion] Remove KDR and center statistics around teamwork

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TacoMasters(PS4), Nov 9, 2015.

1. TacoMasters(PS4)

Title says it all. Daybreak, please. Quit pampering to the CoD/Battlefield casuals, there are so many of them due to Planetside 2 being free-to-play. With questionable decisions such as the Bounty Directive and an unbalanced preference towards Weapons over overall content, Planetside 2 should not fall in those typical generic shooter categories. Remove KDR; as it prevents players from worrying too much about their skill in the game. It's cancerous and should not be in Planetside 2. Rank players based on teamwork as in score/EXP. Top players will have to contribute the most team effort. Make the game more strategic, appeal to strategic players. Soon enough, the sheer scale of Planetside 2's large battles will eventually (already) die off. Right now, the game is basically "Battlefield on Steroids".
    • Up x 2
  2. Dualice

Not quite sure what you mean about unbalanced preference towards weapons, but agreed the KD figure is kinda moot in a game allegedly centered around teamwork.
  3. ronjahn

Those interested in KDR will just use external software(Recursion stat tracker) or external websites to track it if DBG decided to remove it from their services.
    While agree there should be a greater focus on team play and strategy, this isn't going to promote that it's just going to annoy those who care to look and be business as usual for those who don't care about KDR.
  4. SoljVS

Nope higher KDR means my opinion carries more weight lol.
  5. DooDooBreff

removing KDR only servs to hold the hands of those with low KDRs. and there is a stat about teamwork.... SPM

trying to program the game as to what is "team work" and, how and, when to reward it is a progamming challenge that may be to much to ask at this stage of PS2s life
    • Up x 1
  6. tijolo

KDR is only as important as you make it to be. It's just another stat shown. It's the same principle as the one of money, which is a piece of paper or some numbers somewhere. Were it not for its attributed values it would be as valuable as toilet paper. Don't want KDR? stop looking at it. Some people still want it. But sure, if more stats were available it would be nicer.
    • Up x 1
  7. Taemien

People were recording down KDR before it was tracked in FPS's. Its why it was added in the first place. You can't nerf paper and pencil.

You need to change the culture. Ostracize the people who dwell on KDR, name and shame them, bully them, and make them feel like they aren't part of the group. In short, peer pressure them out of it. KDR only became an important stat because those people used peer pressure to make it relevant. You need to use fire to fight fire.
    • Up x 1
  8. Jubikus

Kdr doesnt show much on team work but no stat really does. SPM can show how much things you do but it doesnt necessarily call in team work. A person can overload a generator at a base and then not defend it just so he can overload it again and again to get more points while doing other things this does not help the team. My point being that it doesnt matter what stat you put up front it will always encourage certain egotistical players to play a poor play style to do well with that stat.
    • Up x 1
  9. Vectore

imo DBG should add Revive-Death Ratio (and/or something similar that promotes teamwork) as an official statistic on scoreboard :D.

They should include something I called "Teamwork Directive" that specifically count Healing/Repairing/Saving/Spot/Kill Assist which pay out some cool weapons and/or supply tool (lets say a auraxium medic rifle that have underbarrel heal+revive grenade :D, or a carbine with integrated repair gun that can ONLY be used by engineers, and all of these weapon should have separate stats that biased on suppresion other than killing people).

Also, because of this, there should be a way of calculating kill/heal/revive/repair/save/spot/Assist and put them altogether in an actual "Skill Per Minute" number that show on the character's profile. And yes, I prefer KDR to be removed.

But the best thing Im thinking of is:
    - If you kill someone, they will have a lower revive timer, but if they get revived, you will not score a kill, and the medic who revived him will score a revive as a stat on region scoreboard. This will balanced out heavy and medic, because there's no point wasting ammo on someone that will get revive and steal your kill score.
    - Engineer should be able to construct a turret that can be used by ANYONE. By saying this, Engineer should be able to build more than one turret (however, turret won't regenerate and only limited numbers of turret can be build). And for every kill someone get using turret, engineer will get a roughly 50-75% of kill exp as Turret support, especially considering the current turret system is a bit too "immobile" and lack usefulness. AT turret shouldn't (logically) have infinite ammo either, unless only VS can make AT turret (but NS made turrets, so forget about the VS part I just said)
  10. Vectore

Also, forgot to mention that current engi turret is too vulnerable to sniper attack, but almost impossible to be breach by other infantry. I would suggest a new engi MANA turret that have a shield which covers the user's head, but the shield is destroyable by regular firearms and regenerate over time. EMP should also be able to disable the shield, but the turret can still be used for last ditch situation, however the turret will have longer cooldown time but lower shield regeneration timer.
  11. Taemien

Let me ask this, who is using KDR as a stat to determine worth? I want actual names of players. If you're worried about naming and shaming, send it via PM.

If no one gives up a name, this isn't an issue and I'll change my stance that some of you have been clicking like on.
  12. Vectore

Engineer should have a ability of not triggering proximity mines, and they should have a "degeneration" ability integrated with their repair tools. For example, if they blow up a vehicle, they can use their repair tool to "degenerade" vehicle debris and recycle them into nanites. Same thing for all other buildable/destroyable stuff. They can use the tool in last ditch scenario to drain enemy vehicle's armour, as well as removing mines. By doing this they should get decent degeneration exp (except degenerating friendly vehicle and max).
    To make Enginners and Medics a more interesting, worthwhile and risky job:
    - In real life, removing mines is a risky business. Engineer removing ENEMY's mine have to manage the stream of degeneration being beamed at the mines, if there is too much nanite, the mine will explode and if there is too little, the mine will degenerate significantly slower. And this should award them with EXP equivalent to a kill, and also recycled nanite.
    - MANA turret should have 360 degrees rotation and can be used by everyone (including enemies) so engis should consider placing turrets at position where his enemies would use it against him.
    - Medic throwing revive grenade risk reviving nearby enemies, and healing tools will have heat mechanics. And Reviving will significantly heat up the tool comparing to healing.
  13. TacoMasters(PS4)

I appreciate the feedback guys.
  14. theVelvetAlley

Shockingly, outfits that have a high K/D are harder to take bases from than outfits that just use sheer numbers.
    • Up x 4
  15. Foxirus

Or you could just give players the option to keep the K/D ratio hidden.
  16. RedArmy

KDR goes based on the quality of the player itself - its not saying the player isnt going based on teamwork. just that hes carrying the team by doing all the work
  17. FieldMarshall

They could start by removing the xp cap on ammopacks. In high pop situations, im capped most of the time.
    Its supposed to prevent ammo xp exploiting, but here is the thing. You can /suicide (or die) to reset the cap.
    People who are going to exploit ammo xp will just /suicide anyway.
    So the only people who suffer from the capped xp is people who play normally and dont exploit in the first place.

They could also improve the MedTool.
    When 5 guys are clustered together and one of them is at 10% health, i dont want my MedTool to target any of the guys with 100% health.
    Make the MedTool "smarter" and make it target the player with the lowest health first. Or atleast make it an attachment option (so people who want the old system can keep it)
    Or make it unable to target people with full health.
    Same with revives. When im rezzing a bunch of people clustered and have revived the first guy.
    I have to wait for him to accept the rez before i can target a new one, otherwise it will just keep targeting him over and over.

Maybe even increase the number of healing grenades you can carry at the same time (without bandoleer) and lower their cost.
    Or buff them on some way. Like providing explosive resist to people in the healing zone or something.
    Or make the healing -50% slower, but last +50% longer. (or make it a "grenade attachment" so you can keep the old effect if you want)

In general, dont make things more annoying than it has to for the few people that actually play support.

Also, the way it worked in PS1 was that for a time after you supported someone, you got a % bonus xp based on what they earned for a time afterwards (think it was like 2 minutes).
    And it was based on how much "support" you did.
    For example: If you heal someone from 0 to 100. And they go and get 100xp, you get 10xp.
    If you heal someone from 90 to 100 and they get 100xp you get 1xp and so on. (Not the actual numbers, but you get the idea.)
    This worked for almost all support actions. Like flying people with the galaxy, or someone using a terminal you hacked.
    The xp was received at regular intervals in bulk.

Imo, support in PS1 was more fun. And it may have something to do with how support xp worked.
    Then again, there was 50 times more support things to do, so it may have been that.
  18. EPIC389

Yay. my 0.34KDR could be no more if.

Then again, casual is fun, too many C4 deaths.

Id like to see the 'team' KDR set as default and an option provided to give the players an ability to track their KDR
  19. TheRunDown

They should of left Killboards and Try hard stats to third party websites like they did on PlanetSide 1.
    It made the game much better on PlanetSide 1 when no one was worrying about KD, and just played the game.
    But to be honest, PlanetSide 2 is based on Area style wonnaby MLG, so unless a whole bunch of PlanetSide features get added to PlanetSide 2, there isn't going to be change in gameplay if they rewarded people for team work over KDR farming and lone wolves.

The argument about playing for KD and playing for Team Work has been done before, and the lazy answer is.
    Some players find "Farming or playing for KD" fun, while others find playing for "Team Work" fun, which leaves how can you justify ruining one persons fun and not the others?

Gamer Morals, Good Sportsmanship and Gentlemen gameplay died in early 2004, now every game has a pointless killboard in it, because they are trying to copy a certain game.. but that certain game has a terrible toxic player base, so I don't understand developers mind set any more.. I guess it's numbers over quality.. :S A terrible player base which is made worse in any game that has voice comms..
  20. Taemien

EOD HUD and Rank 6 Nano-Armor Kit.

You can get pretty damn close to mines without setting them off, you literally have to step on them.