Remove kd?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Timothy Pearson, May 25, 2015.

1. AxiomInsanity87

Ok arma 3 is great but you have to use loads and loads of mods to get the most out of it. And they're not as simple as just subscribing the usual way for the most part.

Secondly if your PC isn't that great then forget it. Beasty PCs have problems running it often.

Thirdly, a very large number of the player base are more concerned with the survival mods and a kind of pseudo grand theft auto mod.

I know it markets itself on a large scale combined arms milsim game but you'll rarely find that.

I would strongly advise waiting for it to go on sale. Its potentially a great game but too many mods needed and not enough people actually playing it for what it is. The game is also an empty shell. You have to make or get mods as there's a tiny limited campaign, that's it.

The campaign is not even a singular droplet of pss in the ocean compared to the original which was stunning. You're literally paying for a mod creator and a very brief campaign with arma 3. High quality but an empty shell.
  2. FBVanu

There are plenty of high KD players that do NOT play for their KD. KD is a result of what I play and how I play, but I do not play for the KDR. When I protect a friendly Sundy with my tank, I am not the one running into the base and attacking.. I make sure that you have that spawn when you need it, 'cause I take out the enemies trying to destroy it.

There are many different ways of achieving the "objective", and plenty of them do not not involve running into a base and capping the point. And some of those support roles lead to higher KDRs.. but only if you know what you're doing.

The players that 'hate' high KDs may not fully grasp all the different aspects that go into capping a base. Maybe they should be dropped off, alone, without any back up, without any support, without any snipers covering them, without any tanks keeping the enemy vehicles at bay.. etc.. then watch them whine and cry foul.

Some players specialize.. there is one with a KDR of over 120 !! He specializes in MAX game play... the silly whiners that 'hate' high KD players can only wish they had him on their team ...

Every time I see some player trashing high KDRs and using the silly 'farm' word, I see a player who doesn't understand the game. I get some of those as gunners some times. they send me a chat that I should drive into the front door of a base.. or they jump out after sending me a msg that it is 'boring' to sit in a tank and cover an area.. then they run into the base and get rekt in 2 seconds.. only providing certs to the enemy. No clue, no concept, no plan, no strategy, no situational awareness.. just some Call of Doodoo rambo wannabe..

They don't really hate high KDR players.. they just don't know what they are looking at when they see a higher KDR.
  3. LT_Latency

Who cares KDR is only really meaningful to yourself. To see how you are improving.

It's useful so i don't think it should be taken out
  4. DirArtillerySupport

Yep I'm constantly on the lookout for the ideal Arma 3 mod and no stranger to them since Arma 2 exploded. We all invested in beastly machines so we could play games like Arma and anything else new that comes out that looks better than PS2. Basically I'm looking for a mod that kinda sorta simulates a Renegade-X type game with massive numbers of bots and RTS and resource type elements for offline play. We've been mostly offline for over 10 years and only came online for PS2.
  5. AxiomInsanity87

Q
    That shouldn't be hard to make.
  6. Cyanstorm

I don't play carefully, I am as reckless and don't give a **** as anyone can be, I play this game to have fun not to have an erection when someone mentions "stats" that said I still manage to hold my own, I am not willing to change my play style to have a "better" k/d, that's why so many people jumped the TR ship in Emerald; it's a lot easier to be a VS ( who have the best players and the best organized outfits in the server) and kill TR Than the other way around, vanity has killed much of the fun in my server.
  7. Demigan

Ofcourse not! I never said that every player with a high KD is a KD hunter. Just like every low-KD player isn't automatically a great teamplayer, in fact, the lower KD players are among the biggest offenders of stat padding because they want to have a high KD but screw it up somewhere else.
    And that's the problem, if this was just about high-KD players it wouldn't matter that much (but as said before, they make the easy targets in this debate), since the average KD has to be lower than 1 the high-KD players are a minority, but since the majority also participates in stat padding to feel better or show off better stats it's a more widespread problem. From the Heavy that doesn't rush with you for fear of dieing to the tank or ESF that's killing a bunch of near-defenseless infantry over and over again, they stop the action, grind the players to a halt. Who's going to take a risk when their KD is at stake?
    Who's going to take a risk when they can get far harder to gain statistics? Such as a high vehicle destruction/death stat? A lot more people.

But the KDR is a side-effect of those roles... so how about rewarding people with points for doing those objectives? Killing X people within X meters of the Sunderer spawn (either you are within those X meters or they are), destroying or damaging vehicles (with X amount of damage it's safe to assume that you at least halted someone's advance), capturing points in heavily contested area's, fighting when outpopped (give killstreak awards based on how outpopped you are when the player is outside of a spawnroom), repairing, resupplying, healing, reviving, in the future doing stuff with ANTs etc.

That doesn't mean that every single player hates high KDR's, or hates them for the wrong reasons. The fact that the hate against high KDR has to be generalized is because it's hard to look up for every single player if they are stat padding or not. It's also slightly misplaced, as the low- and mid-KDR players are just as much at fault as the high KDR players at stat-padding, it's just more clearly seen with high KDR players, although as with any generalization you'll get a bunch of innocent players in the mix who are falsely accused. Which is exactly why the KD stat either needs changing, removing or we need a whole bunch of other neat stats added so you can see in one look how you are doing.
  8. Demigan

There are (were?) servers in Renegade that sported 125 vs 125 player marathon maps on the original maps that sported about 10 vs 10 in the beginning. I remember players being stuck at one map for 3 days in a row, with non-stop fighting, because the wrong buildings were destroyed and it would take a whole lot of coordination to kill any building with the options they had left. Good times.

The outdated graphics are fixed in Renegade-X, although it's still in beta so you'll have to wait a bit before the game gets real large player bases fighting eachother.
  9. DirArtillerySupport

That is some serious work they have done there. For a 2.5 GB download it is full of features and fun and feels polished. Reminds me alot of Enemy Territory and Quake Wars. It's definitely going on all the machines I just have to work out the bots. Does anyone make a good front end server config manager?
  10. Demigan

No idea, but the servers are set up to handle server-side mods as well as the whole game itself being build to support mods such as Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 mods that were also made for the original Renegade.
  11. FBVanu

We need to keep re-posting this...

The ORIGINAL great idea is here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/substitute-kdr-with-adr.153098/

The Achievement Death Ratio... All those numbers are already in the game.

could be a great addition.

We asked for this repeatedly.....
  12. Demigan

I hadn't really read that thread before.
    Sounds good actually. It would make vehicles a lot more juicy, as well as overloading etc.
    It's a great step forwards, but it would still be prone to players that try to beat the system by simply doing non-dangerous stuff such as camping the spawnbunker. So I would still have them add a counter for what exactly you did to get that XP:
    Vehicle kills. Vehicle assists. Infantry kills. Infantry assists. Point captures+defense. Generators overloaded. terminal/turret hacks. Repair ticks, resupply ticks, heal ticks, revives. Facility captures, facility defenses, ribbons.

And personally I would love to see how much damage I do and receive against infantry, vehicles or against my own character/vehicles (and a way to find out who killed my vehicle, as too many times I suspect an ally teamkills my vehicle while i'm out but I have no way to check it). All on a per-life ratio and total in session.
  13. Chubzdoomer

Not going to happen. We've spoken out against this for years now, and the devs have done jack squat about it. KDR is here to stay.