Remove k/d stat and deaths from the viewable public

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by JDS999, Sep 1, 2018.

1. AlcyoneSerene

This is not accurate. It is one's perception of K/D (and other game stats) that influences one's gameplay behaviour. Take ownership over what you attribute value to.

Instead what OP and other supporters are doing is making everything 'safe and sanitized' from their poor ability to manage how they feel about numerical facts.

You know why this is one-sided? It is taking away what others like myself enjoy to have such stats, without "recursion and note pads," to appease their own lack of judgment. This is just like proclaiming freedom and friendliness by taking it away from everyone and making honest communication impossible.

I play with people who say they don't care about their K/D. They have fun. I have fun playing with them. I'm not die-hard about my probably average to low K/Ds for reasons I already mentioned, but do enjoy it as a motivating gameplay element do play well.

It is an open gameplay choice we're exercising. Instead, OP and supporters are calling on changing how the game should be played on the assumption K/D and other stats are directly linked to this. This is selfish and self-centered, but they don't see it.

The game developers encourage objective play, good play, cooperative fun, since that increases the likelihood of revenue to keep the game running, expanding, and servers running. Devs don't say, play like this or ****. It's open for all types of people and gameplay styles, balanced by having it spread evenly across all factions.

See what I mean? Imposing like a holy crusade against the blasphemous, then without evidence leaping to 'detrimental to player retention' despite the fact of having already taken ownership and hiding the stats thus solving the problem.

K/D and other stats are not MMR. They don't influence anything, your competitive ranking, who you are fighting with and against, who you are allowed to team with, your decay rate based on inactivity, and other such stuff that exists in other games like an arena shooter I used to binge on till I found PS2, and other FPS-Z games (Legions: Overdrive) that had zero career stats outside of basics like kills, deaths, flag captures, score that reset every single match with zero acquisition of anything at all (100% free developed by players themselves). Players there played hard, have fun, play both the objective and outside of it, for fun's sake. Imagine that.

If you get kicked from outfits or platoons cause 'your stats sux' that's another problem, perhaps auto-solved by avoiding those in the first place if they indeed exist, and if they do, good, such players are open to have fun in whatever way they choose.
    • Up x 2
  2. OldMaster80

They do influence the game a lot. I cannot even count the times over these years I have seen people deliberately ignoring captures and resecures because they were farming kills for the next directive.

Or am I the only one seeing people who prefer to snipe from the spawn room desperately trying to get 1 more kill instead pushing out and resecuring the base?

The reality is in ps2 personal goals come before faction goals. Players run after their stats to prove themeselves and the others their are pro, but they often do not give a damn of their faction locks continents or not.

Notice I am not saying the game should have no stats. But it should keep track of different things in a different way. Data mining proved the game has hundreds of different xp sources, but still the focus is on mere kills and deaths. That's a legacy of the old days when SOE plan was to make ps2 an e-sport, which failed completely.
    The fact plain and simple is there will never be depth nor strategy in ps2 as long as many treat it like a team deathmatch XXL. If the game doesn't move away from that model it will always remain a brainless meatgrinder.
    • Up x 1
  3. PoopDatGame OUT!

when you have different outfits per faction its kinda like this saying..."If it has **** or tires your gonna have problems."

i guess womens breast is a bad word
    • Up x 1
  4. Daigons

Personally I believe that the Devs should remove who killed you from the death screen.
  5. Twin Suns

Thank you for proving my point and not reading the whole thread.

"Give them an inch, and they take a mile".

The mob gets rolling. The next thing is Bounties, why are they picking on people? That's not right...it must go also. :)

No salute.

P.s. A website to debunk falices. More like propaganda to stop logical discussions.
  6. NXR1

Remove the ability to shoot through the spawn room shields, replace KDR with stats that show how much you've helped your team not how much of a stat padder you are: bases captured, health healed, damage repaired. This is a tactical combined arms war game not a competitive FPS where you're trying to get the highest KDR.
    • Up x 1
  7. Pacster3

Yeah, sure...so cheating is even harder to detect...
  8. OldMaster80

Like if recent server issues made cheating somehow possible to recognize. I bet at least 90% of reports are just glitches or server ******* things up :(

Personally I would at least remove the deaths counter. I don't see why the game has to remind players all the time how bad they are. We all master planetsiders know it means nothing, but what about new players who fight their first battles and get sniped and farmed by HESH all the time?
  9. OldMaster80

That's precisely my opinion. As long as the game keeps team deathmatch stats many will play it as such. The stats we need are already in the game, they just need to show them and shift away from the emphasis on KDR.
  10. Twin Suns

hmmm...Wrong!

Keep making stuff up to justify yourself and you're convoluted crusade against KDR. The self righteous are on a witch hunt.

I thought you self righteous lot only wanted to hide it? Obviously, you're lying. You just want do do away with it period.

Well no sir, not while I'm playing. I will be here to oppose you and you're crusaders every step of the way.

You don't speak for me!
  11. JDS999

All im saying i could start a new character and sit in vehicles and farm close to allies the whole time and easily have 20+ kdr in a few days....as well as always run in a platoon full of medic an never put myself near the front push. problem is i find that gets boring quick but to each his own. imo it is very ez to kill infantry with vehicles. kdr only would show skill if you were at the front of the push every battle. imo
  12. OldMaster80

When I say it's my opinion I mean it's MY opinion. I do not pretend yours to be the same.
  13. DarkStarAnubis

I believe I referenced this video a few times already, but it is always worth seeing it:

Renz0R went well over BR100 and made tens of videos about PS2: tactics, positioning and so on...

The message of Renz0r is simple: KDR promotes a game style in which people play defensively, play safe and individually where PS2 is a team and objective oriented games where goal demands each player to be aggressive, to take risks and act together as a team.

Counting deaths is stupid. It is the only stat that is always get worse as you play, no matter how you play, no matter how good you are. The more you play, the more you die. Take it out please.

And I agree with people saying "Just don't look at KDR, it is a stupid stat. Don't let your choices in the game be affected by that." They are right, but unfortunately, people look at KDR are influenced by that and not in a good way.
  14. Twin Suns

Not when something is already built into the game.

You Debbie downers want to hide it. Nope! I'm not buying it.

At first you wanted to hide the big bad KDR, but I saw through that lie immediately. ;)

I don't even care about KDR, it's the principle of taking something out that other players find enjoyable. Just to appease you.

What else do you want to take out of the game?
    C'mon, don't hold back. Names, kill screen, stats, FriendlyFire, directives, C4, Bounties????

Opinion my....LOL
  15. Skraggz

People are entitled to their opinions, so are you, but again your weak character attacks do NOT strengthen your argument. They take away from it. These are the forums where suggestions and ideas are meant to be posted. Maybe be constructive.

Also, you are doing a LOT of assuming.
  16. Twin Suns

One of my squad mates was bragging about his KDR during a session. He was running a 3.0 and I laughed.

He got ********. He starts talking smack, I laugh again :).

I knew this guy was running nothing but vehicles, so to me that 3.0 was .....meh.

Later on I see his LA hop out of his vehicle to take a point.

He's killed immediately in a 1v1.

How's that KDR doing buddy!!!

KDR isn't everything, most of us know this. But if used in context. It can be quite telling.
  17. MonnyMoony

Even then it wouldn't because it depends heavily on how good the medics are around you (revives dont count towards your KDR)

Two people who have similar skill levels, play with a similar style and push every battle - but could have very different KDRs - just because of how good the medics are at reviving one of them.

The KDR stat is far to polluted to be of any use. Even within a class, different weapons and loadouts lend themselves better to higher or lower KDR, so even a class specific KDR wouldn't be all that useful in giving an overall indication of skill.
    • Up x 1
  18. NXR1

Lets also not forget there is more to skill than having a better aim. Superior tactics and use of your surroundings can give you an edge over someone who is far better at shooting than you.
    • Up x 1
  19. TobiMK

KDR is, like any other available stat in this game, an indicator for skill. Stat sites allow to differentiate between base KD, real KD (no revives) or infantry KD (no vehicles/MAXes). If you use KD and apply context, you can create a rather accurate picture of how effective a player is.

Players that are fully obsessed with their KD to a point where they sit in a spawnroom are obviously misled. But that doesn't mean that anyone with a KD above 5 plays like that. Players that are actually good and have a high KD will be far more valuable to a fight than players that do not care for theirs and thus die over and over without impacting the battle. If you have learnt to play for your KD to a certain extent, you will pick up skills like positioning, being aggressive/defensive when appropriate, reading the flow of battle, fighting in 1vX scenarios, etc.

Having a solid KD will increase your overall effectiveness (provided the KD isn't influenced by vehicles/spawnroom camping). You are more valuable to your team if you aren't a dead body on point, but someone that stays alive when it matters and is able to kill more enemies on a consistent basis.
    • Up x 1
  20. TobiMK

What kind of cheating do you think you're finding there? This game is thankfully almost free of cheaters. We get the odd ones every couple months, and they get eradicated quickly enough for hardly anyone to notice anyway.