Remove grief points for platoon and outfit!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Psychophonic-RNX, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Psychophonic-RNX

Introduction:

I would like to thank the developers to listen to the suggestions from Chambermade, Joups, Germanius, myself and
    so many more of my outfit m8´s and other old PS veterans!

I am looking forward to the next Patch and i´m excited how the expansion for the ampstation and the techplant will be!
    Dynamic experience sound awesome and i hope that in about a year the metagame will change once we got more continents.

The following is something i already suggested more then 1 time in the past:

Grief points are necessary to protect you from getting teamkilled but they are counter-productive for close teamplay.

Main arguments for removing grief points for platoon and outfitmember:

- Training: Some people wanna compete with each other (duells)
    - Fun: My outfit is doing some flash races from time to time - like mariokart (currently without shooting)
    - It just happens that i shoot my platoon- or outfit m8´s since we are playing so close together!
    - If you got a teamkiller in your platoon/outfit you can always remove him/her from the platoon and/or outfit!
    • Up x 9
  2. Riftmaker

I don't really think it's a good idea since the whole idea of TKs is to make you more aware of your surroundings and not hit friendlies. That said i wouldn't mind much if that would happen,but considering that friendly fire does more harm than good and it still wasn't removed i don't think they will even think about it.
  3. Flarestar

Make it something flaggable at the outfit level by outfit officers, and as long as friendly fire itself remains in effect this would actually be pretty nice.
    • Up x 1
  4. Talizzar

What does cart racing have to do with the game? You are proposing the devs stop the important work so you can hold a race? Seriously?

Go play Mariocarts then!

Duels? Go roll a another toon and duel away.

Training.... Since there is no real penalty for getting killed, train on the enemy.

TK has to be in game. I mowed down my medic last night as an enemy was between us and some other outfit members. It make the game more real. Yeah I said sorry. We lost one instead of the 5 we could have lost.
  5. Chambermade

He wrote remove grief points not the "ability" to TK people. That's something completely different.
    Of course this proposal is not a major thing and should not get prioritized above really important stuff, but it is a suggestion that would make close teamplay a lot easier.
    Try a MAX crash with 30+ for example and try to NOT hit an Outfit m8 with the non existing clipping.

Good idea
  6. AppLeNaToR

Its all about the GRIEF protection. Not about turning off Friendly fire. That has to stay on!

But why Grief-lock somebody who shot members from his Squad/Platoon and even more stupid from his own clan.

They are playing together in a Team anyway. They know a Teamkill was not on purpose or if, they know who to talk to to stop such things.

Making it an Option might be a good alternative as "open Squads" would still be grief protected, whilst the Clan-Squads could turn the Grief-Counter off. (as said before, NOT the Teamkill itself)

So yes. This feature would be really nice!
  7. HappyZaps

Best joke thread of the day. 10/10.

On the off chance that the OP is serious... If at any time you can spam fire and suffer no penalties for friendly deaths associated with that spam, the game is broken. Your group leader may decide that it's "tactically necessary" to HE spam the control point or generator room, friendlies or not, for the sake of removing the enemy. This is exactly the sort of thing that FF and the penalties that go with it are designed to prevent.

The system is already designed to absorb a certain amount of FF before penalizing you for it, and in fact it takes quite a lot of FF before a lock kicks in. If your group "tactics" are resulting in frequent locks, you need to lay off the caffeine and the fire button a bit. The problem isn't the game.
  8. Barosar

Sounds good not to punish accidents from those you are working with while providing normal protection from random griefers.
  9. Psychophonic-RNX

Grief was implemented more or less as ermergency while beta to protect the active community
    from incoming griefer from the big invite wave.

This game will change and grow within the next year!

Having no grief for outfit members was normal for PS veterans, that´s why we always could train/compete
    in the dead time (base captures) - just remember to "king of the stairs" ;)
  10. JOups

THE OP NEVER SAID TO REMOVE TEAMKILL OR DISABLE IT FOR PLATOONMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow sometimes I wonder what happend to the ability to read and understand a text....

The Op never said, that they should removing friendly Fire.

He just said to remove Grief INBETWEEN your own Platoon, not to your whole Faction...

(for dummies: grief is the penality that you gain for shooting or killing friendlys, not the ability to teamkill...)

The Arguments are said. There is no way to spam or stuff like that, cause you can kill your own mates, so you deal more dmg to your team then pull out any advantage...
    If you Spam a controlroom with allies in it, that are not part of your squad(platoon) you will gain grief as usuall, thats it.
    But you wont get Grief if you play with your Mates very close, back to back, in groups 6+

It will happen that you will hurt your own guys, but aslong you guys know eachother, you no **** happens and no one is doing this pruposely there is no need at all to punish them.
    If you are that opinion you 1. Never played that close and organized
    2. You never got angry cause of mistakes in your own sqaud that drove you to or near weapon log
    3. You have no Idea of tactical Training issus and the possibilities that are in this game.
    ---> so go on Zerging!

Or at least make it targetable for each squadlead, platoonlead etc. so everyone can decide if you can trust your fellows or not...

So please, Happyzaps and Talizzar ,start reading and understanding, before you start to hate und talk ****.

11. Skiptis

ITT: People that can't read.

I like Flarestar's idea, with having it flaggable at outfit level. I know there are some very large outfits around (open doors type) that might want it on, but there's no harm allowing people to not be punished for practice / minigames.
    • Up x 2
  12. HappyZaps

Yeah, what ever happened to that? If you actually read what I wrote you'll notice that I was talking specifically about the penalty associated with TK -- not the TK itself. The purpose of the penalty is to prevent you from wantonly TKing -- as in the example I posted of nuking a control point or generator. Limiting this proposed penalty-free TKing to one's own team does not in any way prevent it from being abused in precisely the way I detailed. In fact it would encourage penalty-free spamming of HE by coordinated teams, which obviously would be a more effective abuse than that employed by randoms.

The only way you could do this without breaking the game would be to limit it to special "training" areas, where it would be automatic. You certainly couldn't do this out in the real game world, for all the reasons which I trust I've made obvious to you.

Oh irony, you never cease to amuse.
  13. Hosp

Grief Mechanics existed in PS1.
    - It protected people in the same squads/platoons.
    - It didn't apply to outfits.
    - It had a visible counter that ticked up and began to apply some minor penalties that increased as thresholds were reached.
    - It is necessary and its removal wont happen.

Our current set of mechanics were (seemingly) hastily implemented and don't seem complete. Re-implementation of the PS1 version, with consideration for faster TTK mechanics, should be more than possible.

The reason it shouldn't apply to outfits is to prevent zergfits from being more careless than they already. If you had LAs and Engs running smack into the middle of grenade/rocket spam dropping explosives, that becomes a viable tactic to the mates w/o any repercussions(this just being 1 example). As much Kamikaze as already goes on, applying it to outfits would turn this into Jihadside.

Finally, I've yet to be grief locked.
    • Up x 1
  14. Crashsplash

Yes, this is needed.

Obviously grief is needed in general but it's not within your platoon or outfit since within those we can regulate behaviour ourselves and we don't need a game mechanic to do it.

So yes please!
    • Up x 2