[Suggestion] Remove Ghost Capping

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DQCraze, May 18, 2016.

1. OldMaster80

Not really: the term indicates the fact the base can be captured even if no one is actually around. In case you didn't notice you can flip the points, then leave and in a couple of minutes the base will be yours nevertheless if enemies do not stop the cooldown.
    This is exactly what the OP is saying and he is correct imho. If no one is actually attacking then the base shouldn't be conquered.

It's also worth saying this is no longer a huge issue today for a simple reason: lattice reduced the number of bases a faction can attack at a given time. More or less it cut them off by 50%, thus the frontline is more concentrated around a limited number of bases istead of being spread out.

Back 1 year ago when devs pushed to PTS the game mode called Conquer which was a mix of lattice and the old capture rules, then ghostcapping came back to the old glory for some time. While a big battle was raging inside a Biolab some lone wolves (typically Stalker Infiltrators) flew around the territory just to land, flip capture points and then take off again.
    Sure it's part of the defenders job to take care of bases that are under attack. But those bases weren't really under attack: as defenders redeployed there was NO ENEMY to fight. And being forced to redeploy every 60 seconds to resecure empty bases was not fun. It was just a pain in the back because 1 single lone wolf could people to leave good fights for nothing.
    • Up x 2
  2. GoTDirt fromMAG

If you only like the big fights and don't care about all that other stuff than go to the big fight and don't care about that other stuff. Otherwise there apparently is a little more going on, & maybe your team should spread out, and cover more bases.
  3. Azawarau

Thats not really the issue here.......at all....
  4. PlanetBound

I like the idea of requiring someone to actually be present for a base to flip. Some late night gaming is nothing more than a few people on the continent flying around capping or reversing a vacant cap in progress at empty bases. However, as the leader of the highly insignificant GhostCapped outfit I have conflicting thoughts about it.
    • Up x 1
  5. GoTDirt fromMAG

I would disagree, as I did.
  6. Problem Officer

With XP modifiers too. Defending against a larger pop should give a lot more XP than normal.
    I'm talking triple and more when significantly zerged, scaling to approximate ratio.
    That way bases provide an automatic incentive for defense, calling in players that will do as much damage as they can as soon as they can to reap the benefits before more allies spawn.
  7. DragenoidHighLord

If ghost capping is to be stopped,you must make a minimal limit that can capture a point,but thats me throwing something at a wall hoping it will stick.Since it would make sense to have a minimal ammount of players required t ocapture a point,since that would encourage players to cooperate and make it worth while for defenders to be bothered by.
    Tho this problem is easly solved in a few ways.
    -Blitzkrieg (Rapidly taking land preventing ghostcapture due to tile not being conected to their own)
    -Garrison (Having a small garrison of 4 players guarding the base until the adjectent enemy tile,size of the garrison changes if the case is an Amp station or Tech plant)
    -Area of Denial Make the area around the base or capture zone unpassable,probably hardest one to do but its a method sometimes usefull with bigger facilities)
  8. strikearrow

The current system is fine. Ghost capping helps to reduce zergs and zergs are nothing more than nanites....
    • Up x 1
  9. DQCraze

If you want to stand by the point thats fine, if you want to cap and leave and not finish your activity then you shouldnt be rewarded for it. You must be a millennial because clearly you feel entitled to something you didnt earn...
    • Up x 1
  10. FateJH

What if he wants to move to a better part of the base to stage his offense-defense than the immediate area around the point?
  11. Jake the Dog

i want to say no, because of what happened to me a couple days ago at Briggs labs. I got in the double-stack next to A point took the terminal, deployed clamores on all entrances, switched to my heavy put c4 on the windows, capped A and just waited... It was a good time.