[Suggestion] Remove cloak sound

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by raidneq, Jun 2, 2015.

1. RedArmy

unless people are using good quality headsets ($100+) the cloaker sounds get lost in the heat of battle. during slow fights they stand out from a mile away, but so do footsteps. i dont have to hear the cloaking sound to know theres one there. so i understand the concept of it, but id say only remove or tone down the sound on the pistol guys - if u can use an SMG, you better make some damn noise....
    • Up x 3
  2. CuteBeaver

Stalkers produce the least noise already. We simply have more control and basically "can hold it". A stalker is more likely to be able to flank and catch people unaware because of this. The difference being of course that we are like rabid bunnies versus other classes. No one really complains when stalkers kill them because they were killed by someone with 100 less HP and no primary. Cloaking sound technically travels out to render distance (300 meters), although you would be hard pressed to hear it at that range in heavy combat.

It would be interesting to keep Hunter Cloak designed for longer distances, and rework NAC to be more SMG / CQC flank friendly. However that would probably require more work then simple sound adjustments. I miss the days where cloak was barely detectable at 90 meters, but deafeningly loud at 10. It would scare the heck of out enemies when you came up behind them with an SMG.
    • Up x 4
  3. Leivve

No it's not, just hide.
    • Up x 1
  4. MarkAntony

Wow you really believe that don't you? Amazing.
  5. Leivve

You've never used your ears when playing a game? Amazing.
  6. DeltaValkyrie

I think its fine as it is.

SMG infiltrators with no cloaking sounds (shudders). I play infiltrator a lot and I wouldn't wish that fate on my worst enemy. Also Cloaking noises don't count for stalker cloak because they can remain infinitely cloaked anyway.

Silencer plus no cloak sound plus pizza delivery plus unseeable cloaking... how we supposed to counter that with flashlights when you can be hiding ANYWHERE :)
    • Up x 1
  7. Plastikfrosch

yes you can hear the sound of a jetpack especially when you are inside of a building and the LA is on top of it BUT the jetpack is not nearly as loud as any cloaking device and as long as you are not the only one of your faction and not everyone of your people stands perfectly still nothing will tell you that it is a hostile LA which makes that sound because all factions have the same jetpack sound.
    If you are alone or just a few people in the room and noone of them moves you can say, yes that jetpack sound is suspicious but normaly its not while the sound of the other two factions cloaking sound is always a warning signal.
    And you cant just say "just dont cloak" or "just hide". perhaps there are enemys around in a more open area and you need to cloak to reach a specific building and if you are not a stalker your cloak will run out of energy and will (sooner or later) make a lot of noise.
    And just hiding is also not always an option especially when you already made that sound. And placing a spotter or shooting a dart while you are alone is also a double edged sword, because everyone can now see that ther is an infiltrator around (especially the spotter gives your position away because you can only plant it directly in front of your feet - i really wish the spotter could be thrown like a nade or could be rammed in any surfays, it has hooks on its feet)
  8. MarkAntony

I have. That's how I know that you are writing BS. Cloak is way more audible than jetpacks....
  9. Navron

Leivve's point wasn't that jetpacks are just as audible as cloaking. It's that if you listen for jetpacks, you can place the LA's position the same way you can place a cloaking Infil. I have no problem hearing jetpacks from a distance.

Except drifters, for some reason. I tend to miss those sometimes. I dunno if there's a difference in sound or if I'm just not paying attention.
    • Up x 1
  10. SarahM

Jetpacks tend to be audible for a longer time too, e.g. for as long as they're used. Cloak is just a short chirp.
    • Up x 1
  11. MisterSlim

Mmmm.. Rolls..

[IMG]

In seriousness, some of the things being said here are a bit harsher than necessary. Come on guys, we're not the HA subforum community, let's keep it classier than that.

-Stay Frosty
  12. SupaFlea

using a jet pack at night lights us up, if you remove a cloak sound how does any unit defend against a silent enemy that has automatic weapons and hard hit pistol then re cloak silently and slip away.

I am not simply bias, I just hate ideas that take away the need for thinking and skill for a class, Infil is my secondary after LA and I always make it a point never to use cloak stupidly or regularly when ppl are near, a stationary crouched target in a corner can be just as invisible if nobody is looking for you, If they are looking for you the sound of your cloak is a small factor.

Honestly i would love Infils to only be allowed sniper rifles if they give up their cloak slot and go back to pistol slot only with very limited ammo and have infinite cloak again but re-introduce hacking Control consoles for bases instead of just standing on a point.

Make Cloakers useful tools and major pains in the patooties, not silent killers who sniper and use claymores.

reffering to Cloakers as in PS1 btw :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Amouris

I think you owe Get2dachoppa $50.
  14. Armcross

A little sound check.
  15. Biddion

I'd like it if the sound was limited to 20-25 meters, but completely silent would be unfair to HA. How would they put their shields up in time and blast me in the face?
  16. Khallixtus

If it was completely silent, that would be insane. SMGs already have a great TTK, if we couldn't react, that would be OP, really, really OP. But yes, it is too loud. Jetpacks don't need to be louder, I find that most LAs I find are trying to be Heavies and just run at people, and it's in a balanced spot right now, although a little louder would be more realistic. MAXes are fine, the right amount of sound I find. Gives people enough time to shout "Oh ****!" and either run, or set up. If a MAX just appeared, NC would be even more OP. Shotgun MAXes that don't make any sound.

Just try approaching someone from the side with cloak, seeing as almost everyone's reaction to hearing an Infiltrator uncloaking is instantly looking behind them, you might (might) get a bit of time on them. And if you're dedicated enough (I'm not) to find out which way the average player turns, you can use that to your advantage as well.
  17. Krinsee

I don't mind the cloak sound too much, but it DOES travel way too far. It need a serious reduction in distance. Around 50m being very faint ramping up as it gets closer with max volume at around 15m. There is no reason you should be able to hear a cloak from over a football fields distance.
  18. SupaFlea

The Cloak is a temporary ability to be used often but have negatives, tell what the negative of being invisible is i don't mean pnce someone has seen you or to ppl who have flash lights, i mean negative to someone you sneak up on, they hear you cloak, you remain still. will till cloak drops down they looking around you uncloak and nail them with 10 of the 15 rounds before they even face the right direction.

Its not a matter of adjusting to what its supposed to be used for its a matter of adjusting it to what it is used for,. in this case Infil and long range snipers where cloak sound wouldn't matter or close quarters smg killers. I use my cloak as little as possible even when in bases, you would be surprised at how many ppl don't look in their peripheral vision when a slim cloaker is tucked away in a corner out of site not moving "uncloaked" and that's me with a bolt action for close quarters. Apply some thought and personal skill to the class and it can easily work for you in all situations, its not supposed to be easy to use an infil to sneak around a base and kill ppl, Your ability is situational for its best uses same as all classes. As for me, I use it more to get across open ground unseen, stop moving while im decloaked to try and pretend to be a rock in the distance and prevent eye tracking on my movement then cloak and carry on running.
    • Up x 1
  19. m44v

You mean mine:

This is the thread I made that time. Is nice to see that the status quo has not changed in the slightest all this time.
  20. Migs

Yeah I've been called a hacker for hearing infils cloaking before, it's kinda silly how most infils think they don't make sounds when cloaking already. You could make it a tiny bit quieter but making it silent would be absolutely ridiculous as its the only class that has medium-long time enemy trackers. (Crossbow detect bolts only last 10 seconds on any other class)