[Suggestion] Remove AP rounds ability to OHK infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LibertyRevolution, Oct 9, 2014.

1. AdmiralArcher

well the size is 120...i just dont remember if it is smoothbore.

and i guess the tank that has the autocannon is more along the lines of an Amphib IFV
  2. Frostiken

It doesn't make sense that I can shoot an aircraft with a tank cannon and it doesn't instantly explode either.
    • Up x 1
  3. Frostiken

The best solution is to just add a small amount of inaccuracy to all the AV weapons. Vehicles are big targets, they don't need pixel-perfect accuracy. Sniping infantry with tanks or halberds isn't necessary. They would still definitely be accurate up close, but at longer ranges, the small random deviation would make them less effective against small targets.
  4. DocteurVK

Long range tank battles are all about "small targets". When you are fighting on the ground, you always try to minimize your silhouette, both for stealth and to make shooting at you at a distance much more difficult. It's valid for both vehicles and infantry

If tanks can't fight anymore at range because of a random margin of inaccuracy, let's remove them entirely.

Honestly, as I've already said, tanks are barely a threat to infantry if they run AP.
    Maybe they'll snipe some individuals, but during base capture or massive infantry fights, their impact is minimal due to the lack of splash.
  5. Corezer

This would only possibly work if tanks could switch weapons like in PS1
  6. vanu123

This is what we mean by infantryside2
    • Up x 1
  7. TheShrapnelKing

Sure LibRev, let's just nerf EVERYTHING, because not everything has been gimped yet.

Rockets? Who cares if it makes sense to instantly die from being hit by one, let's make it a 2-hit kill despite how much skill it takes to directly hit someone with it.

HEAT? Who cares if it's supposed to be able to kill infantry AND armour, we need $ from people buying vehicle weapons so let's make it suck at BOTH roles.

PPA? You mean a faction-specific AI weapon that doesn't suck? Screw that, it's the VS, they're OP no matter what.

But wait, what? The Lancer can shoot beyond draw distance? Ah whatever it's...it's fine...
  8. Posse

huh?
  9. TheShrapnelKing

It's a slow projectile and if you're not dead on someone you won't kill them, or at least that's how it was.

I understand someone who can aim as well as you can might not understand this as it seems so easy to you, but trust me, getting a single round, especially a slow one like that, to hit your target is not easy if you don't have good aim (which most people don't).
  10. LibertyRevolution

So AP being a strait upgrade to HEAT with no downside makes it infantryside2?
    The AP rounds should have their OHK ability removed so that HEAT has a reason to be equipped.

Want to do more damage to armor, ok but you should lose something, like the ability to OHK infantry..
    AP has better damage and better velocity than HEAT and still OHK infantry.. there is no reason to run HEAT if you have AP..

I want to remove AP OHK to give AP a downside, not to make infantry life easier..
  11. vanu123

Or you could just buff HEAT to where it was before and restore HE....
  12. Ronin Oni

So you want to nerf AP because HEAT was overnerfed?

Your logic is bulletproof :rolleyes:

How about we just unnerf HEAT some? Shouldn't have been so heavily nerfed in the first damn place.
    • Up x 2
  13. LibertyRevolution

No, that is what I am trying to avoid.
    If you buff HEAT back to splash kill, then HE becomes the monster it was at launch again..
  14. Ronin Oni

We can't have any effective anti-infantry weaponry now. That'd be TERRIBLE.

Imagine if a single HA couldn't reliably solo a 2/2 MBT. What kinda game would this be?!?
    • Up x 3
  15. Radical Raxuss

You continue to say that AP has no drawbacks. It's drawback is lack of splash. Splash matters when killing infantry as a tanker.

But since splash does not matter against a vehicle, requiring a direct hit, it does not affect the AV ability.

Thusly, you have your balance. More damage in general, but you have to be more accurate. How does this work?

Vehicle size >>> Infantry size

Easier to hit vehicle than it is to hit infantry.

That's a problem with your argument. You cannot base your entire argument off of direct hits. That's not how engagements work. Same as the arguments on recoil and COF, not every shot hits. You cannot assume an engagement with perfect accuracy. And I think it goes without saying that you are more likely to accurately hit a with a MBT with an AP round than you are an Infiltrator.
    • Up x 3
  16. NBA JAM

Yes please, the game still has too many ways to die fast. Spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die. Having AP shells is pretty much the only thing you'll ever need on your vehicle as its good versus everything.

The biggest and best fix for this problem would be to add some freakin' variation to the shots of every vehicle. Honestly, the fact that you can quick shot like the tank is some kind of Quake/Counterstrike gun is stupid. Turret turn speed should be capped so it is slow. Elevation and gun depression should also have capped speeds as well. This could also be something great so that each empire could have a different "feel" to the way their tanks play rather than just pure numbers/stats.

Also this would create better meta for people to sneak up on tanks and plant C4, mines, anti vehicle grenades. Would not have to rely so heavily on Kamakaze light assaults. Other classes could get up there close to the tanks as well without being noskope360'd by a tank.

Overall I'd buff all armour health a lot, decrease damage, decrease accuracy (for the love of Christ please), and decrease turret turn/rotate speeds.

Huge issues solved in one fell swoop. You're all welcome. SOE please hire me to make your game not suck. Thnx
  17. LibertyRevolution

AP does have splash, and it is a 2 splash hit kill, just like HEAT. There is no drawback to using AP.
    Also, you are less likely to miss your direct hit on a target with AP has it has higher velocity, less drop, less lead...

Let me put it like this..
    If HEAT took the same number of hits to kill a MBT as AP does, that would be broken right?
    AP takes the same number hits on infantry as HEAT does, so to me that is also broken also..
  18. Flag

It has a 2 splash kill radius of 0.5 meters (1 damage at 1 meter).
    HEAT, with the example of the Supernova PC does 750 damage out to 1 meter. While it doesn't solve the issue of still needing 2 shots to splash kill with, the area where you do -FULL- damage (which is also 250 higher) is 4 times as large with the HEAT gun.
    And the does -any- damage area is 25 times larger on the HEAT.

Twenty Five times.

To say it's the same to kill with splash damage with AP guns is you being completely ignorant of the subject matter.
    Again, you still need two splashes to kill, but that is A LOT easier with the HEAT guns than it is with the AP ones.
    • Up x 1
  19. Shatters

Can we let this thread die already? At least 20 100 people already tried to explain the advantages of HEAT vs AP to LibertryRevolution, but he just keeps on trollin in this thread. He is either a very good troll of a very small-minded person.

Note: I am not saying saying HEAT > AP (because AP is superrior in most cases), but saying AP > heat for AI is like saying 1+1=3.

Note2: The last thing we need is another nerf to ground vehicles (except maybe battle sundies). Infantry already dominates everywhere.
    • Up x 1
  20. vanu123

its at most .5 meters in other words a nonfactor, In my 200+hours in a tank and 6000+ total kills I have only killed 5-10 infantry tops with the splash of AP.