Remember Smedley's promise in '07? Nothing changed in 8 years

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dgross, May 24, 2015.

1. OldMaster80

Because even if that company clearly made some mistakes, it does not mean the game has to be thrown away completely. It's still very enjoyable indeed. I had quit spending money in the last 6 months, but after the last patches I opened my wallet again: performance are ok, some new content is coming so they deserve it. Honestly the cosmetics I bought for my Sunderer are the coolest thing I've seen in the game so far.

This does not change the fact the game could have been much better: they literally thrown away hundres of development hours invested in stuff no one had ever asked for.... just to abandon everything after the release on the test server. The number of features they developed and then mothballed is impressive: drones, interlink facilities, flamethrowers, battle islands, max grenade launchers, domeshields... If they only had prioritized well development, maybe today we could have a decent resources system and some kind of metagame (which we've been asking since beta).
    • Up x 1
  2. Taemien

We're not talking about improvements, suggestions, or even mistakes here.

Read the quoted statements, they said the company CEO lied to them. That accusation is NOT referring to a mistake. But a LIE. An intentional statement meant to mislead. I'm questioning why people would do business with a company that they believe lies to them. Business is built on trust, if there is no trust then there shouldn't be any business.

What is happening is they either believe they were lied to, and are still doing business (which is odd to say the least). Or they are exaggerating their thoughts to draw in more discussion.

I think its the latter. In otherwords they don't actually believe in what they said.

There's no way someone would do business with a man who lies to them. I just don't believe that. And I don't think those players are that naive, I really don't.
    • Up x 1
  3. CorporationUSA

I agree. I definitely would like to see more clarification for the reasons surrounding certain changes. But I don't think we will see that, since "we want more money" doesn't make them seem any better.
  4. Whatupwidat

Oh no how will we manage-wait the game's still really fun AND free to play!?

Why you moaning again?
  5. Dgross

Because some of us choose to pay money to support the game development, something you don't really grasp apparently.
    Keep enjoying your "free" game.
  6. Wolfenstian

"Remember kids, being a free to play game means you can no longer complain about the missing features that were promised."
  7. Whatupwidat

Then stop paying for it. I stopped paying for Sky Sports after I started finding it boring. I didn't go onto their forums to bore the **** out of people about them not putting on enough Ice Hockey ;P

There's a BIG difference between complaining and calling the lead dev a liar, friendo.
  8. toast2250

True, you can only complain if you spend something on the product, imo.

Also lol,
    Free to play & Free to complain = Negative (+- = -)
    Pay to play & Free to complain = Positive (- - = +)

People were asking for new vehicles and spitfire turrets, so where are they now praising them? They are right when they state that the players themselves sometimes don't know what they want but the people in charge sort of a also don't.

Making a certain things is like a piece of art where you breathe life into it. Technical expertise can only go so far.
  9. Crator

Vote with your wallet then. The problem is, they might decide that PS2 isn't worth it and just drop it (which they seem to have done for the time being right now. At least on any kind of major changes.) But this will most likely happen regardless of if you, a single person, doesn't give them money. Maybe they will pick it back up later when they finish the projects they think will make them more money.
  10. Dgross

If it's so boring why did you bother making it to page 4 and responding?
    There's the door dude. You don't have to post.
  11. Mianera

What other type of terrain are you looking for? We have:

- Tundra/Arctic

- Desert/Canyon

- Grassland/Mountains

- Swamp/Forest

What other terrain would you like to do combat in? What else is there even? You can't have urban, the servers cannot handle it. Peoples FPS would drop stupidly unless it was in closed instances. And those I hear are in development.

WHAT??? I don't think you've played the game very long, it DID happen. We have nanites now. Thank f**king God for that, the old system was awful. Back then, each tile would give a bonus to three pools of resources. Infantry, Ground and Air. If your faction didn't control enough tiles, you weren't able to pull vehicles. We also had a actual timer on vehicles back then that you could lower by throwing in thousands of certs.

Good riddance.

Because it wasn't needed. What the hell do we need homes for in a MMOFPS game? ROLEPLAYING???

Besides, they did add that the outfit that contributed most to a capture now gets their icon and name displayed on the tile. What more do you want?

Because figuring out a range for the thing, much less make it balanced turned out to be a horrible pain and overall a bad idea. We got the anti-mat rifle instead.

Again, balancing those out takes forever. Because you can't just throw them in on the stats, you also have to look at how many players use it and how many have it. Yes, that is how they do it, because balancing out everything to give everyone a fair 1v1 chance isn't what this game is about. It's about giving 100vs100 a fair chance against each other.

Besides, you have many many vehicles right now already that fill out every role we need them to do. What exactly are you looking for that you believe the game is missing?

Yes and it was removed because the developers listened to the fan base and the overall callout was that it was doing more harm than good. You can't get mad at the devs for listening to the players you ignorant ********.

If this was EA or BLIZZ it probably would have stayed on forever.

No, maybe YOU didn't want the Valkyrie, but at the time when it was announced, the hype around it was insane. The majority of players wanted it. However, the majority of players also whined about how OP it could be before it even hit the PTS. Therefore, we got a useless taxi vehicle on standby until they get around to it again on the "to-do-list". You can thank the community for that mess, not the devs.

Again, we get these, because when we get faction specifics Forumside goes amok with mega rage threads about which one is the most OP. Just look at the Betelguese, Godsaw and Butcher mass spam threads.

You forgot or couldn't be bothered to write it down?

Goddamn, you know nothing about game developing. You do realize that there is a budget, loads of coding to do and that Planetside 2 is a work in progress?

And Smedley? He says what is currently on the teams mind at the time of which he says it. But that doesn't mean that things wont change or that they get forced to go in a different direction.

DayBreak (and SOE) has a frikken marketing department which they have to abide. Because if they don't, the game doesn't make any money and progress slows down, people loose their jobs etc. And the majority of players ARE F2P without ever having supported the game once in any way other than rage threads on the forums.

The team does everything they can in the time that is available to them.

And what the hell man. We've received countless updates, patches, hotfixes, cosmetics, weapons etc in those 2 years. MUCH more than any other company would even throw out in a DLC which you would then be forced to buy. Planetside 2 has moved forward A LOT since the launch.

- Hossin

- Harasser

- All the NS weapons (+limited edition weapons)

- Resource Revamp

- Connected tiles

- Directives

- Valkyrie

- 3 new Liberator belly guns, 1 aft gun

- Directive rewards (camo and faction specific weapons)

- SaBR 13, NC-9 A-Tross, Corvus VA55, LC2 Lynx, AF-4A Bandit, Zenith VX-5, TRAP M1, AF-8 RailJack, Phaseshift VS-F, PDW-16 Hailstorm, Blitz GD-10, Sirius SX12, T4 AMP, NC-08 Mag-Scatter and the Spiker.

^ I mean..... is that not content? SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many weapons, most of them faction specific. So many fixes, performance improvements, base revamps, balance changes........ it's a MASSIVE list. We have gotten so much yet you say we got NOTHING?????

You, who knows nothing about programming, coding, developing, working on a active MMO in a company thinks you can lecture the people that do?

Honestly? You're a joke!
    • Up x 1
  12. sebastian oscar post

Rely? I don't remember requests for valcrefs!
    Sent from my iPhone.
  13. sebastian oscar post

NOBODY GIVES A FU@K ABOUT SH£TQUEST
  14. Dgross

Ad hominem attacks, and typing in a god awful color I won't even try to finish reading.
    Btw if you think nanites was "THE" resource revamp, it pretty much says the rest about your post.
  15. stalkish

[IMG]
    Its not just about terrain types, PS1 had 2 tundra conts, 2 deserts, foresty/hilly green conts, a volcano, but more than that it had options. Planetside was always supposed to be more than 'shooting in a desert', 'shooting in a tundra' it was about global domination, a struggle to capture and control all the continents of the planet.

ATM its a perm team deathmatch and the only change we get to that is forced cont locking in the form of alerts.
    Also notice the clouds and green blobs on the map, ye those arnt for asthetics, those are actual storm systems that moved accross the globe and interacted with your fights.
    • Up x 1
  16. boey

The question is: When the list is so "MASSIVE" like you call it, why is the population dwindling? It should be the other way around, right? Most people seem not to be that impressed. We probably need further server merges soon. How can that be?
  17. Revel

I don't know how Smed wasn't fired and replaced by DBG.

Seriously. As someone who played SOE games for 15 years I watched them make the same mistakes over and over. Same mistakes in PS1, remade in PS2.
  18. Revel

Sure they can. Just have it be a smaller area, like caves in PS1. I can guarantee you they'll never do the caves again, because when people find they're pretty much vehicle free all the infantry will migrate there and all those poor, poor lib pilots will have nothing to do.
  19. Whatupwidat

I won't then. Enjoy your entitled moaning :)
  20. Dgross

You won't but you keep posting anyway lol. And then the last bit. I love irony.