Reload speed updates on vehicle weapons.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Govedo13, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Govedo13

Hello is there any chart/topic info that gives more structured information about the reload speed certification lines on Vehicles.I am interested in the DPS changes for Liberators and MBTs mainly.

The reload updates are quite cert heavy so before investing a lot I would like to know if it is worth it. I mean for the certs to fully update the reload of the MBT both guns (2350+2200=4550 certs) one can make any vehicle decent buy updating its 3 main slots-frame/utility/defence and even buy some gun. I noticed that there is also variety and some are cheaper like 1700 certs.
    What vehicle weapons benefit the most from the reload speed?
  2. Schwak

Magsize is always better if it's offered, as for reload speed .5 seconds on a tank can mean the difference between you shooting the KO shot on your enemy before they shoot you. There is no reason to not get it if you are a committed tank driver/pilot.
    • Up x 3
  3. Govedo13

On guns like Bulldog and Shredder of course. However I am asking more about things like Saron, Dalton,Zepher etc.
    Is it mathematically worthy to invest the ton of certs that would be enough to cert the 3 main slots on other vehicle?
    I noticed that you as community run a lot of statistics and out of curiosity if one ran such link it.
  4. VeryCoolMiller

If you are a new player , no. If you are an experienced player and you decide to specialize in mbt, yes. Maybe start with the first two level (150 + 200 cert) and postpone the full upgrade later.
  5. moriarrr-ceres

Reload time realy shine on dalton, halbeard, all weapon who have only one shell per magazine, python etc. Its good also on fast firing weapons like coyotes, lol pods . Anyway you can leave the last level (its better to upgrate another weapon instead of wasting all ,certs)
    • Up x 1
  6. teks

Lightnings only receive half the benefit from reload speed as MBTs to for some reason, so MBTs benefit much more then lightnings do.
    • Up x 2
  7. Bruno Puntz Jones

With weapons that have a magazine size of 1, reload speed is the only buff to DPS that you can get. More is always better, and it's expensive because it is a straight power boost.

With weapons that have a magazine size > 1, the mag size is the larger buff to DPS, because it gives you a better chance of killing something without having to reload. Going from 2 clips to 1 or 3 to 2 for a kill is a huge difference (and indirectly a much greater buff to "reload speed" than the raw reload speed upgrade itself).
    • Up x 1
  8. Schwak

Mathematically worth it? No. In practical use though .5 second faster reload could mean the difference between life and death in some fights. Why willingly ignore an upgrade that will put your tank at full potential. Certing everything in a gun will eliminate the "what if" factor.
    • Up x 2
  9. ZeroErrorz

do anyone think they are worth taking for esf, especialy the default nosegun, i use them since most of the time once the mag count goes red im just gonna reload anyway instead of using the spare i have
  10. Unclematos7

Not really. On ESF a2a its the same ammount of rounds maxed out on all 3 . It's great on the rotary, but it doesn't make the other 2 noticeably bigger to be worth taking.
  11. Flag

I'd say you should get at least rank 3 or 4 of the reload (if there's no mag size). It's not the full benefit, but well worth it.
  12. dstock

That's simply not true.

What about weapons with large magazines and slow RoF? Examples: PPA, Vektor, Ranger. Granted, 2 of 3 are decidedly unpopular, but bear with me. It takes ~8 seconds to mag-dump a Vektor, extending the magazine obviously increases that time. Unless you're hanging at the ceiling and sniping armor, you're never going to get that amount of time on target. I have a PPA certed for MagCap (lvl3, 65 rounds), and I can count the number of times I've run it dry on one hand. IMO, that's good, it means I'm keeping up the suppression, but the kicker is, I rarely g0 below 15 remaining rounds (IE, I never actually make use of the magazine extension).

The Ranger is a bit different. Since the adjustments, the MagCap cert line was left the same.
    Before: 32 rounds, 4 ranks @ 3 rounds each = 44 total rounds.
    Current: 70 rounds, 4 ranks @ 3 rounds each = 82 rounds.
    It simply doesn't add much for the investment. By comparison, Reload Speed takes off .12sec per rank, for a .6sec reduction at 5. When we're talking about a 70 round magazine with a 3sec base reload, that's a solid bonus. I have a MagCap 1, 2, and 3 Ranger from before the changes, one on each faction. I'm not going to spend anything else on the rank3, but I've already started certing the MagCap1 to Reload Speed.

I'd like to add a caveat, I habitually reload whenever I lose visuals or my shot. With this sort of playstyle, I simply get more from reload speed on high RoF, large magazine weapons. The above 3, I recommend reload speed regardless. If you play like I do, I would add the Walker, Drake/Basilisk, and Vulcan to the list.

I did the math in another thread, but the Shredder is one of the most balanced each way. MagSize wins on overall DPS by ~5%, assuming you only mag dump. Conversely, if you only fire 40-50 rounds per magazine, reload will give you better results. Depends on the target, I don't bother advising people on this one anymore, you have to find your own stride.

The grenade launcher weapons (Fury, Bulldog, Marauder), Tank Buster, the Kobalt (due to current range limitations/role as suppression) are always MagSize, no excuses. I'll agree with you there. For most players, the middle group above (Walker/Drake/Basilisk) will also be MagCap.

I'll skip the other stuff, I think the other posters did a good job of explaining the importance of reload on reload-only weapons. All this said, to each their own. I think reload does serve a purpose, some people may just prefer to DAKKADAKKA their way through things. :)
  13. FateJH

A Prowler might benefit from reload speed more than any other tank.

The P2-120 HEAT/AP cannon reloads in 2.5s normally, down to about 2s with maximum.
    While the number isn't exactly 50%, Anchor cuts the reload speed in half, effectively, to about 1.25s for HEAT/AP. If reload is factored in at all: if it factors before Anchor, 1s; if it factors after Anchor, 0.75s.
    These numbers are all very obscene.
  14. Flag

The prowler (and lighting) gets "less" from the cert than the VG and Mag.
    And it's worth remembering the 1 second refire delay (2x0.5) that remains unchanged, even by anchor.

So rather than 2.5 ->2.0, it's closer to 2.5 ->2.25 ... ish.
  15. NoctD

I hope they fix this in the April balance pass, the upgrades for the Python AP for eg. are just plain pathetic and sad.
  16. Flag

"fix"? Remember, the Lighting has a lower base reload, meaning to get the same % buff from the certs it would have to do less.
    Which isn't to say they got it right, but it's worth keeping in mind that you can't just give it the same 0.5 second off that the Mag and Van gets.
  17. NoctD

Uh yeah laughable attempt by a typical MBT type - your secondaries more than makes up for that, by a large margin!
  18. Flag

That's beside the point.
    The reload certs on the main guns should increase DPS by about the same %, regardless of which tank it's on.
    -Regardless- of which tank you're using.
    • Up x 1
  19. Aesir

All reloads certs for primary weapons are 10%, all reload certs for secondary/tertiary weapons are 15%. Nothing other than the tooltips have changed.

However, not all Cannons or Weapons profit from this equally. The higher the reload time, the more the effect. Vanguards go from 4 to 3,6 seconds, which vastly boosts their dps through that upgrade and often the main gun deals the final blow in gunned MBT battles if you and your gunner hit most or all of the shots.

A Magrider profits more from maxing it's FPC than maxing the Halberd, because in any case, the FPC will deal the killing blow. A maxed Halberd brings the Magrider nothing if it goes up against a Prowler or Vanguard, even against a Sunderer it only benefits you if you encounter a maxed blockade Sundy.

Unlike Prowlers or Vanguard, which stack greatly from upgrading the Halberd reload, Magriders gain very little and better stick to a Saron, which profits a lot more from the Reload. Unless you count the reload boost to the Halberd as an AI upgrade, which it is.

While Reload might boost dps ... but dps isn't directly TTK, because we work in a system of cycle times, damage reduction, limited health pools and damage per round.

Than there is the Prowler, which has a fixed 1 second time of it's actual full cycle that is not affected by any form of reload speed upgrades, be that Anchor or the flat upgrade.

To finally answer your question to it's worth, well this depends more on your commitment to actually focus on that one Vehicle. A new Player best saves up some certs and tries around to see what he actually likes and starts actually spending once he found his calling.

Those expensive reload upgrades often have a large impact on Vehicle vs. Vehicle combat because in some cases they can lower your needed TTK to kill the exact same target by several seconds! Giving you sometimes an advantage of over 40%!
    • Up x 1
  20. NoctD

Very well, I can see how capable you are as a tanker. Let's have it your way, cause a 0.2 reload speed increase on a Lightning will surely kill your MBT's odds of surviving a fight!