[Release] PS2 Weapon Simulation program

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sumguy720, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Dingus148

Awesome! So, the spreadsheet is fair game to modify, so long as we don't wreck it and clean up when we're done? This is fantastic news. I'm still getting my head around how to get the information I want without skewing results, but the tool you've made is really quite impressive. More than happy to bump! I'll have to donate a few pennies.
  2. Sumguy720

hah you might even be the first! I'll be sure to put it to good use.
  3. Wintermaulz

Give this man a forum medal
    • Up x 4
  4. EliteEskimo

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  5. Dingus148

I'm struggling to get the data into the table, obviously it's protected. No biggie, I'll figure out a workaround. But if you're still working on this, perhaps the ability to import/export custom datafields, or modify them from within a submenu might be handy. Obviously, this was never the intended purpose, but it'll allow people to add their own attachment modifiers until you add that support in. I'm a computer ******, but the UI is a little broken (although admittedly far better than I could do). It's all a little bunched up, and the recoil adjustment function is disabled. Little things that I can't figure out if it's on my end (although admittedly I've only been playing around for a few minutes). I'll keep slogging through, because this looks like it's quite a powerful tool. With the ability to modify datafields and save them locally, I can see this being something that even the devs could use to better predict weapon behavior. Might want to change result colors (like in text and graph form) for modified values, and possibly plot them alongside the original values for comparison. So, first impressions;

-Powerful
    -Simple
    -User unfriendly, to a degree, more from lack of polish than anything else
    -Data presentation is clear and logical

I know you didn't ask for feedback, but I hope it helps all the same. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have numbers to crunch :p

EDIT: Disregard. I am a MASSIVE idiot, just found the spreadsheet labelled "Raw data". I am feeling very dumb right about now...I thought you were pulling data right from Google Docs o_O
    • Up x 1
  6. Ketobor

First of all, thankyou for your work.

Personally, I would appreciate a way to make it easier to compare results between different weapons, and/or to store data about the simulations.

That said, are you sure you are calculating TTK correctly? Something seems off.

I altered a weapon to have 125 damage base, and the resulting TTK seems close enough to correct, but it experiences no TTK drop between 9m and 11m. What could cause this?
  7. Ketobor

Continued testing. Something is definitely off. These fall-off equations clearly do not work.

Tried 1000 and 500 damage weapons to test. No TTK difference between 1m and 11m. The damage drop-off should be bringing it to 1 more bullet to kill. It is not.

How is it calculating bullet damage? Whether the target is dead? I attempted this with 800 damage, this problem persists, so it isn't that you are using infiltrator health.
  8. Sumguy720

Hey.
    Thanks for trying the program. I just tried the 1000 and 500 damage weapons. Everything is working as expected on my end. Maybe you could PM me a screencap of what you've done?

[IMG]

Here are my results. The 500 damage weapon and 1000 damage weapon both take additional bullets to kill after 8 meters which is the maximum damage limit. After the 8 meter mark it takes one more bullet, as expected.

In planetside 2 weapons do not experience damage dropoff until 10 meters typically, however the NS revolvers start their drop off at 8 meters. If you copied stats from the last weapons on the list, and you want a 10 meter max damage limit, you will have to change it. Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

For reference these are columns D and E, being the minimum falloff distance and maximum falloff distance respectively.
  9. minozake

Take my advice: Learn Python and use it. Or go nuts and use Haskell. Either way is better than Java, and with Python, you can hook into Java for the places that need speed.