[Release] PS2 Weapon Simulation program

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sumguy720, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Calder

Getting an error "Index exceeds matrix dimensions" every time I try to generate anything. I have the MCR installed and I'm running PS2_DIRt from a separate directory.
  2. TheBloodEagle

Woah, +10000. Thanks for putting time into this. Put up Google adsense on your page (vertical banner on the right nav bar or something), you deserve it man.
  3. WalrusJones

I am trying to run the distribution version, but the MCR version that was available apparently didn't have all the DLL I needed....
  4. Novmiech

Is this a typo?

Have you just not gotten to NC weapons yet?

Or are you suggesting that NC weapons have no bullet drop and damage fall off?
  5. Sumguy720

Yeah that was a blunder on my part! It should be fixed. I had a typo in the spreadsheet. Just redownload the exe and it will be good!

It's a typo! I definitely have NC weapons implemented. :)
    Thanks for noticing. Because it's been more than a half hour I'm going to just have to live with it.
  6. Sumguy720

Are you running a 32 bit system? Could you post your system specs?

PM me and I'll see what I can do. I think I've seen that problem before.
  7. Tythes

I just did this and still getting the error :(
  8. WalrusJones

Yeah... A few reinstalls in, I fixed it not finding the proper DLL's, and the I am now getting the matrix error.
  9. Sumguy720

I totally updated the exe but not the spreadsheet; try it now! Sorry about the hiccup.
  10. Ssential

Awesome tool.

For the writing of gifs to work I had to create the /gifs folder myself, just in case someone runs into this problem.

A comparison view between two chosen weapons, e.g for the 4 graphs (DIRT), would be pretty neat too.
  11. cfftble

Great job! I'd be interested in the source code if you're willing to distribute it - I've been meaning to work out what the optimal bursts and timings for different weapons at different ranges would be, and this'd save a fair bit of work.
  12. Sumguy720

Thanks! I would like to make it easier to compare two data sets. That's something on the agenda. I just have to find a simple way to do it.
    • The bug with the folder not being included in the ZIP should be fixed now!
    • fixed a bug with left-pulling weapons causing a NaN error during calculations.
    Thanks for the comments guys. Let me know if you use this in any forum debates, like so:
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...ailstorm-really-balanced.119650/#post-1625628
  13. cfftble

What model does this tool use for recoil? It seems to match my in-game experience on weapons with a zero vertical recoil angle (like the Sirius SX12), but on those with non-zero recoil angles (like the Blitz GD-10) it generates the same recoil path every time.

The paths for weapons with a gap between their horizontal recoil max & mins are weird too. Take the PDW-16 Hailstorm: the bullets alternate between zero horizontal recoil with one bullet, and then what I'm guessing is .3 horizontal recoil with the next.
  14. NytDragon

+100 for Vanu VAST Science!

Ok, now that you all have this amazing scientific DIRT... can we have PH1L1P back in our platoons?
  15. Sumguy720

Well you got me thinking about it now. I went into VR to take a look at the recoil (which is strictly where your crosshair goes, not where the bullet goes), and as far as I can tell the way it behaves ingame is that it will either
    • Jump to the right by the maximum allowed value
    • Jump to the right by the minimum allowed value
    • Jump to the right by zero
    • jump to the left by any of the above
    I tested this by firing at five stationary targets at 50 meters with two rounds (fully automatically, very very short burst) with a right biased, left biased, and center biased weapon.
    The first bullet is subject to a recoil modifier, which is encoded in the game. I guess it's to simulate the arms not being ready to compensate for the recoil.
    What you see in the simulation is this same behavior, EXCEPT, I do not allow the gun to jump horizontally by zero, so I will add that in. I'll update the program in the next half hour. Thanks so much for that feedback!
  16. Teek

Just wanted to say I'm a fan of what you're doing with MCR and Planetside, but I've been having some trouble installing MCR. Every time I try to install the version of MCR linked on the main page, I get an error about not having the proper requirements for installing VCREDIST v90_x64. I'm trying to run this on 64-bit Windows 7. The only Matlab support thread I've found on the issue has not be terribly helpful so far. Anyone have any ideas? Unless I'm mistaken, this should be related to C++ Visual Run-Time components, which I believe are up to date on my PC. Could I use another version of MCR with this program? Should I install something else before running the MCR installer again?
  17. Sumguy720

I actually know that another version of the MCR will not work (I've tried three different versions) which is rather unfortunate, and I curse matlab and mathworks every day for making my users install the MCR to run the executable version of my program (80% of it isn't even used).

The easiest way around this problem would be to 'get' matlab. I mean... you know. Get it.

Or alternatively you could try finding the file in question
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2092
    and install that separately to see if that helps.

Thanks for bumping my thread by the way :D Hope people are getting some use out of this.
  18. Sov21

This is great! I love to play with stat tools
  19. Dingus148

Sorry to necro this thread...

A bunch of us are trying to model a bunch of TR weaponry that better fits the faction traits of dakka, but we haven't done any solid theorycraft. Link: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-thread-dedicated-to-refurbishing-tr-as-a-faction.122793/
    My question is as follows; does this program handle custom data values? If it does, it would be incredibly handy to determine how a weapon may handle for any given stat values without relying on trial and error. I don't want to edit the master weapon table, I'd hate to break the program! But being very new to MCR, I have no idea what I'm doing! Any help you can provide would be muchly appreciated, and I hope the bump nets you a few more downloads.
  20. Sumguy720

I'm glad you asked, and I'm glad you necroed! I like my topic being on the front page and I'm still hoping people will get use out of it.

If you don't want to edit the data spreadsheet values that exist currently, you can actually add in your own custom weapons provided you input all the needed values. Just add the new weapons at the bottom of the sheet with the same format as the existing weapons and it should work out beautifully!

So please, add stuff to the master data table. The program will not break. But it's very important that you spell the faction names and weapon type correctly, and with the correct capitalizations.

Let me know how it works out for you, and post me your results!

EDIT: It also looks like there are some hard numbers floating around for attachments, too, so I might be able to add attachment support.