Regret - a Planetside Short Film

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by P4nda, Sep 14, 2015.

1. P4nda

So I haven't posted on the forums for quite a while, but I just figured I'd share what I and some others have been working on for quite some time. Here's the Reddit link if anyone's interested for any more information. Anyways, hope you guys enjoy!
    • Up x 8
  2. Ronin Oni

Regret: The feeling you get after any new purchase of PS2 goods :D
  3. LazyAsian

4. Ronin Oni

Just actually watched it, veddy niice
  5. ColonelChingles

You do have to wonder if "murder" is even still a thing with the entire rebirthing technology.

Generally murder requires the intent to kill. But if the assailant and the victim both know that death is impossible, then it can't be said that the assailant had the intent to kill. More the intent to inconvenience, which isn't murder.

In fact I would argue that rebirthing technology might even make "real" murder impossible!

Say in the heat of battle, a TR Heavy shoots an NC Infiltrator. Not murder, right (ignoring the "war is justified killing" argument for a bit)? Because when the TR Heavy pulled the trigger, he knew that he wasn't going to kill anyone. Just move them to a different spot.

Well from a freak and totally unpredictable accident, at the very moment when the bullet hits, the rebirthing matrix goes down. The NC Infiltrator doesn't respawn, so she is really very much dead.

Was that murder? Probably not.

When the TR Heavy shot, he did so without the intent to kill. Or the intent to inflict serious bodily harm (nothing that half a second of a Medtool can't fix). And we can't say that he was reckless, because the last million times he shot at someone no one died.

So if he didn't have the intent to kill, inflict serious bodily harm, or was reckless, then he could not have committed murder (even if he shot someone and they actually died).
  6. Ronin Oni

This is of course assuming that the "rebirthed" clone is in fact the exact same person

You're ignoring the fact that the clone which is killed (and it IS killed) still suffers the mortal wound and pain.

Even if the new clone doesn't have the memory of the actual death, there was still a living entity which was forced to suffer death.

And again, this is still under the presumption that there is not something more to the human being than the physical matter.

Then there's the possibility as well that thanks to nanite instantaneous linking that rebirthed people actually DO remember their deaths
  7. SamReye

Nice! Made me think a little deeper into the interesting lore that surrounds the game. :D It'd be fun to write some short stories detailing some of the soldiers' lives.
  8. AlterEgo

Amazing. Now, instead of making a video that humanizes the reality of the Auraxian War...
    MAKE ONE GLORIFYING IT.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  9. Jubikus

I quite enjoyed this.

I was expecting something along the lines of some cobbled together troll Video of why you regret playing the game guess ive spent too much time in the forums this was a nice suprise.
  10. Pokebreaker

Very well done! I especially liked the surprise at the end. It culminated the entire video perfectly. I like the RL correlations made as well, it really gets one thinking.
  11. ColonelChingles

Kinda reminds me of an Outer Limits episode called "Think Like a Dinosaur". There's new teleportation technology developed which allows a person to move rapidly over long distances. The trick though is that it's really just perfected cloning; a copy is made at a new location and the old version is instantly destroyed. The crisis that happens is that a mistake is made and the original is not instantly destroyed because they think that the clone was never made. Turns out the clone was indeed made and that they now need to destroy the original, which unsurprisingly doesn't want to be destroyed.

I suppose the philosophical question is if it looks like the duck, thinks like the duck, and has the memories of the duck, is it the duck?

This is much less an issue. PS2 soldiers don't really suffer much. No limbs get blown off. Heck, when hit by projectiles they don't even bleed. Even a 150mm AP tank shell that can pierce tank armour can smack a soldier in the head and their body is still in one piece! If there's any wounding at all it must be some sort of internal trauma, because really the PS2 "dead" just look like they're sleeping.

I think the only bleeding I've seen in PS2 was in that trailer... but it certainly doesn't happen on a day-to-day basis!

In PS2 a soldier essentially retains all their memories and thoughts past rebirthing. I would assume that when a TR soldier is rebirthed, they still have the same fanatical loyalty. A rebirthed NC soldier is not suddenly going to follow VS religious doctrine. Nothing in that respect has changed.

So sure there may be more to humans than just matter, but it would seem rebirthing also results in a human that's more than just matter.
  12. P4nda

Cheers :)
  13. Imp C Bravo

Good video. Get a like from me.
  14. Ronin Oni

You really buy into this whole lore BS don't you?

Well hope you're happy being a terrorist.

In any case, the lack of gore in the game doesn't mean that if it was real the soldiers wouldn't feel pain or bleed ffs. We were hypothosizing if this was real, then talking about the controversy of rebirthing.

As video game sprites, rebirthing is meaningless and devoid of any value of discussion. Mario gets extra ******* lives.
  15. Alan Kalane

Wow m8, you've just created the true lore of PS2!
  16. ColonelChingles

Hmmmm... do you think after Mario dies it's the same Mario or a different one?

[IMG]
  17. Lord_Avatar

Great work OP - well worth watching. :cool: