Reflex sights side by side comparisson

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DjUnicorn, May 7, 2013.

1. DjUnicorn

So to the people that keep yelling that NC have a big disadvantage because they have huge red dots on their reflex sights I decided to compare them myself with my settings.

(www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1dsxqi/the_main_reason_why_i_always_use_the_irnv_scope/)

For this test the settings were common to all sights, same FOV, same low quality (in order to achieve a more true dot) and practically the same position, here are the results.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Conclusion? NC and TR share the same big red dot while the VS have a smaller one.

----------------------------------------------------------------EDIT

After a user pointed out to me I find out that only the NC Anchor suffers from the huge red dot problem, here is a comparisson between Gauss Saw and Anchor

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  2. Mythicrose12

The VS cyan colored dot can be hard to distinguish on many backgrounds and at night. I use reflex sights on my NC character and honestly don't see the issue unless I'm plinking at people from range. Maybe I'm crazy, but I believe there are better sights for range plinking/bursting than reflex sights. This applies to all factions.
  3. Odan.be

So the size of reddots is a point of discussion atm ?
    Roflol
    • Up x 14
  4. SiosDashcR

I actually prefer the NC sight over the TR sights.

:l
    • Up x 5
  5. ladiesop

The size of the red dots is different depending on weapon (because of sight mount location). Try the Gauss Rifle S and Anchor, and compare with other NC weapons.
  6. GhostAvatar

Seriously, people are now trying to get the red dot nerfed. Has this forum fallen so low?
    • Up x 8
  7. Xhaleon

I think you need to compare it between more weapons. Weapons have different mounting positions for the sights, some closer and some further away from the eye. I haven't tried to study and find proof, but it may be possible that these variations in eye relief distance is not consistent between factions, weapon classes or even weapon roles.

I know that there is a bug that sometimes will mess with the z-position of your gun, so the dot can appear bigger or smaller. I got rid of the problem by resupplying, but who knows if people have been playing with a bugged gun all this time?
  8. MasonSTL

A glimpse to the next generation of FPS gamers I guess
  9. UrMom306

I only use iron sights...but if we had the vs sight i'd be all over that ****, my favorite sight in the game
    • Up x 3
  10. Wilden

I notice something pretty out of place with the NC / TR 1x and 2x reflex as well. While in VR shooting immobile targets, I found out that when you're shooting targets at ranges 90+ meters away while side stepping left your red dot has to be aim to the left side of your target completely outside the hitbox it order to actually hit. If your aiming AT your target with the red dot your shots will go to the far right of your target. Same thing happens when you're side stepping right, you have to aim to the right of your target completely outside of the actual hit box. None of it makes sense cause you would normally think, "I'm moving left I should be aiming to the right of the target to compensate for my movements", but no its not. It's currently moving left, aim Left side of target, outside of the actual target hitbox. The only thing I can think of is actual red dot not properly aligned or some oversight.

Surprisingly VS reflex does NOT have this problem because there's no actual scope there. Its just a magnification of your current game view. I hope this could be look into cause now it just adds another element when shooting at range targets. So not just bullet travel time, leading, target movement speed, i also now have to account for scope misalignment.
  11. Mythicrose12

Fixed.
  12. LightningWolfTigrBer

Yah, I'm really fond of the VS 1x reflex. Not a big fan of the 2x version, however.
  13. DjUnicorn

I just checked the Anchor and here is a side by side comparisson of the two (Gauss Saw and Anchor)

[IMG]

Good catch, I tried all the other weapons and the Anchor and NC1 Gauss Rifle are the only ones with this problem.
  14. Tobax

There wrong here because the NC red dot is indeed bigger than on TR's and anyone that plays both empires knows this.
    So here is a picture I did: same FOV, same low settings, 1x red dot sight for both empires, aiming at a spot exactly same distance.

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/81/reddotq.png

What do we see? NC red dot is clearly bigger.
  15. DjUnicorn

I checked the NC1 Gauss rifle and the Anchor after being pointed out, they are both the ones that have a big *** red dot. Hopefully SOE will get that fixed on the next update.
  16. Tobax

Ok but neither of those guns are the gun shown in the picture as having the big red dot, so if your claiming its only certain weapons then there are more than you think, the gun in the picture is the Mercenary and I've seen this big red dot on all NC weapons.
  17. LT_Latency

Do size does matter for me it's easier to aim at the head with a smaller dot.

If you don't think it matters, You are probably are not aiming for the head. At longer ranges the dot can cover what you are aiming at so you don't know if you are on target or not so you have to guess instead of knowing you are on target.
  18. Xhaleon

Actually, I'd prefer if they would let us just choose where to put the optic on.

I mean, its just a simple value SOE has to give us control over. The sight model is clearly a separate piece from the gun model, at least I hope their engine is competent enough to not need separate models for EVERY attachment combination out there.

A slider that makes the sight go back and forth, z-dimension value going higher and lower. Oh, and the option to put folded iron sights back on the gun, if just for aesthetics sake.
  19. DaninTexas

I LOVE NC Carbine iron sights. Works great for all ranges and has a very snap up to aim time. At night is the only time I put a sight on my carbines - NV of course. Specially against VS
  20. DjUnicorn

That would be a sweet adition to the game! Put it up on suggestions, see if more would like to have it.