[Suggestion] Reduce Grief points for glancing hits, increase for kills.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SinerAthin, Feb 21, 2014.

1. SinerAthin

When you are in a large, messy battle; it's inevitable that you hit some of your teammates as they run in front of your stream of bullets.

While I don't feel particularly sorry for them if they run in front of my turret while I'm firing away, I can't ignore the grief points and risk weapon lock.

I think the grief system would be better if we reduced the the grief points for glancing hits(that didn't kill the target), while increased the amount of grief points earned for killing someone.

Usually, you have time to stop firing if a friendly runs in front of your barrel to not kill him. So such a change could make random culminating grief points less of a problem in big fights.
    It would also punish people who shot to kill(aka, intentional teamkillers) more.

What do you guys think?

Would such a change make the game better?
    Pros? Cons?

I wouldn't be too worried about this causing more grief points than what you'd typically receive in a big battle. Even if you did accidentally kill someone, the overall grief points from all the glancing hits would also be lower to even it out.
    • Up x 8
  2. Blippy

When my friend guns the PPA on my Magrider he tends to get weapon locked because he'll sustain fire in a choke point and rack up TKs from people constantly running into his highly visible stream of big balls of plasma.
    • Up x 3
  3. Frosty The Pyro

for the most point the greif point system is fine, but with lashers it is redicoulously easy to get weaponed locked, I almost suspect greif points are based on the number of HITS and not the damage dealt.
    • Up x 2
  4. Ronin Oni

Con: Griefer's will just shoot at friendlies in a fire fight to soften them up and get less grief for it.

Eh, there's never a good answer TBH, scum will be scum. Remove FF and you just turn PS2 into an even bigger AoE spam fest
  5. Hicksimus

C4 a packed friendly spawn room, no big deal. Accidentally shoot a corner with 5 lasher shots, very big deal. Maybe when PS2 comes out of beta it'll get fixed.
    • Up x 2
  6. Paperlamp

The pounders agree, although TBH I've literally never got weapons locked and I've had my fair share of TKing out of stupidity.
  7. SinerAthin

I get the feeling that it might be so.

Accidentally glancing a couple of people seems to be more punished than outright killing people with C4/Bolt Action.
  8. AssaultPig

this so hard

the weapon lock system seems to give you more points for more frequent hits on different friendlies, regardless of how much damage you actually do to them. So you can kill one particular target over and over again if you want to grief them, but god forbid you fire your weapon in a high-traffic area and glance 3-4 friendlies over the course of a minute.

I don't understand why grief points are accumulated for hitting multiple friendlies rather than for actual damage done
  9. LT_Latency

I never get weapon lock.

Maybe once in like 900 hours. If you are getting weapon locked ALOT you are doing something wrong
    • Up x 1
  10. starlinvf

The primary multiplier is frequency. Singular hits don't generate much grief, but sustained fire incidents, or frequent incidents cause the grief points to climb rapidly. The old system used to also have a acceleration curve for gaining points. So incidental friendly fire didn't put you much risk, but frequent or intentional friendly fire could get you into weapons lock in as little as few killings. The dissipation rate also took into account how frequent you gained points, so you held grief points a lot longer, but could get rid of them faster as long as you avoided getting more points.

PS2 I believe uses a similar model, but the multiplier and dissipation rules are a lot more lenient. You basically have to have no regard for your surroundings to get weapons lock. I've gone out of my way to TK people on a few occasions, and never gotten weapons lock from it. In fact, the only time I've had weapons lock was HE Vanguards camping the double doors in Mao, before they put up the barricades.
  11. AltF4Fun

Way to manny people run infront of guns instead of just run behind the person. Even I forget that sometimes,but atleast I try to always do that.
  12. Klypto

I think it's a good idea. Keep in mind that NC guns don't really do glancing hits vs friendlies.

Its like you die instantly before the dummy even realizes it. Worst is when a scatt max misfires which has happened quite a few times . Bam just gone.
  13. JudgeNu

My rule of thumb : if I am engaging the enemy and I TA/TK, then there are too many people there, its overkill, I find another objective.

Too many times I come to a spot where there is 2-3 dead teammates, I stop and look for the perp.
    ADS creeping and I engage enemy and viola! a ******* teammate runs into the line of fire and gets us both killed and maybe I kill him, cuz I have committed my entire clip on this guy.

I die many times to teammates inability to grasp this game.
    I think its too much for the average FPS'r, they aren't ready for this type of game.
    PS2 and any FPS with a large scale battle scenario is a bit much for the average player to transition from the run and gun tactics of our everyday shooters.
    It is this mindset that determines gameplay and the "griefs" we have with the game. Its not always SOE's fault.

Its time we educate!
    Its time we elevate!
    Know when to hesitate!

lol

however, I do think they should turn off FF on engie turrets, and fix the collision FF of vehicles.
  14. Ixidron

This ^
  15. NBA JAM

^ This
  16. SinerAthin

That's what happens in a wargame where everyone is in a hurry and everyone can just respawn if they die :p
  17. TheMercator

I think its a good idea. Especially because there are still idiots people that strafe in heavy firefights. Something that enforces getting shots in your back.
  18. SinerAthin

Bump for great justice!
  19. Taemien

Yep... increasing grief for kills is an indirect nerf to the NC. I don't think it can be changed. It sucks for everyone, but we're all penalized the same for it. So its fair as it is right now.
  20. Pacster

Well, I had yesterday a streak of being killed 14 times...9 times of those by teammates...and seriously...I don't want to imagine a game where this does not get punished. There are so many guys that do not care at all for their teammates(Some time ago I was running a Max and got run over by a tank on an open street...visible from long distance. Either they claim you should not run on streets cause they are for tanks...or they claim that they couldn't see you due to terrain when you are not using the streets...so whatever you do: They always have a stupid argument for being careless. Or yesterday at double XP weekend I shot the driver of a tank and dropped 2 C4 on it...and then some outfit guy actually stole the kill by shooting with a rocket at the tank and hence blowing my C4, the tank and me up...and he definitely saw me right on top of that tank placing my C4. It was a simple kill steal for certs...I was just colleteral damage...along with my C4 resources.).

I did not manage to get my guns locked yet. Maybe if people would not shell from the other end of the map or just spam at doorways(while the enemy is sitting in there at the cap point not even trying to get out. Why should they?) instead of going in and engaging the enemy, they would not have the problem of getting their guns locked all the time. If you are coward, worry about your K/D stat and rather shoot your team than risking your own pixel-life to seriously help your team...well...then you get what you deserve(and seriously, I wished the punishment for that kind of behaviour would be harsher).

That's a chicken and egg question. Is the dude in front the stupid guy that moves right and left directly into your line of fire...or are you the stupid guy cause you shoot although you know that there is someone in front of you(playing your meat-shield) and he will try to avoid being shot by strafing(cause all do!). I have been shot quite a number of times standing in the front row not even knowing that there was a sniper behind me....so why should I not strafe? It's not like they tell you "hey, be careful...don't strafe...I'm behind you!". There are a couple of second row players that are in such situations more dangerous for their own team than for the enemy....cause they only seem to hit the own teammates with deadly precision while if you count on them to shoot someone(before that enemy can shoot you cause you ain't strafing), they will miss....