Recon dart spam is YOUR duty

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by EViLMinD, Jan 14, 2014.

1. MrMurdok

I play Medic for the high-accurazy, high RoF guns, and so I can self heal in CQC
    I play Engineer so I can feed myself ammo while I UBGL spam or kill tanks with my turret
    I play Infiltrator for the stealth suit.

As long as you're not my squad/platoon leader, you have zero right to tell me how to play my class. You want Rader? Go spawn a Scout Rader Flash and sit on it.

Let's say you just Gal dropped a base I'm in, you spam darts (because it's your DUTY) and, if you have two working brain cells, go for a terminal, because respawns are important to an attack. I see your radar pings, I know there's an Infiltrator in the base, and I know what he's going for, so I'll wait for him there and pump him full of oppressive ammunition and proceed to hunt down the rest of his friends, one by one. No base cap and no respawns, because your Infiltrator botched the Op with his recon darts.

But hey, it's our DUTY!
  2. Littleman

Him and his friends will see you coming from a mile away. Good luck with that. If you do get them all, they sucked too bad to have gotten anywhere even without making their presence known.
  3. MrMurdok

Are you really going to send more than one or two Infiltrators to hack a terminal? Unless you're rolling with more than a squad, you just spread your forces very thin, which could allow the defenders to overwhelm you. Plus, most terminals are located in places that greatly favor the defenders, like direct line of fire from the spawn room, or killzones like in Tech Plants.

Your Infiltrator should be able to get to the terminal, undetected, using both his cloak and the fact that the defenders would much rather rush the point than to try and see if there's a cloaker going for a terminal.

Make no mistake, darts are a great asset for players, and more poeple should use the, but looking at the Infiltrator as a mobile dart launcher and neglecting everyhing it can do while undetected is just plain ignorance.
    • Up x 1
  4. Mageever

I actually agree with you to a large degree, but there's being an ***hole and there's genuine criticism. When this behavior becomes the only interaction from that player in the game, they should be the one finding a single-player game. This would be a good topic elsewhere because it's worth discussing as it seems to be getting more rampant. (maybe I'm just playing more so I see it more, though)

Relating it to the topic here, I had a squad leader going off on not enough sensor darts a while back at an amp station. I was the only Infil and all I did was run back and forth between the sundy. This was a low population fight and I don't think I even got any detection certs out of it. Point being that the leader thought that swearing and throwing fits about perceived threats was how to get his squad to win. He was a poor leader to begin with, and it really showed in is language and his attitudes toward his team. That squad didn't last.
    • Up x 1
  5. EViLMinD

There are different ways to be an a-hole. There's the amusing silly-jerk. The always an a-hole that is a pain to deal with. And then, there's the person who becomes and a-hole because everyone around him/her is being a incompetent ****.

I try to be cool with people. But... I have a limit. This is why I refuse to lead nubs and pugs anymore. I can't stay calm. My comprehension of this game is too deep and broad that I get frustrated when people can't perform even the simplest of tasks. I try to be fair. Give folks some slack. However, there are just certain concepts that anyone above BR10 should grasp.

Anyway... it's too bad that leader browbeat ya. What he should have done is browbeat the engineers for not chaperoning you and making sure you had an ammo pile where you needed it. Did you tell the team that you needed an ammo drop?
  6. Mageever

That's cool, I can understand that. This has been a good reminder for me because I just realized I haven't fully certed out my recon darts yet. I just realized you're on Waterson. If you see me around be sure to give me some pointers!

Yeah, I told that leader how it was, but I don't know if he or anyone else heard because he never shut up about how hot his immediate tactical situation was. Probably how I'd be too, though.
  7. Littleman

He. Will. See. You. Coming.

If he's headed to a location that he suspects will be saturated with enemies to begin with, he won't need the dart nor make the attempt to infiltrate. If his allies are moving to the same location, he'll drop a dart. If you're responding and heading to the dart, he'll know where you're going.

If it's a tower battle, might as well slam a dart into the garage. If it's an outpost battle, darts belong at the control point and the main pathways to the point from the spawn room. Don't pretend every battle over an outpost is a piss small 10 v 10. It very rarely works out that evenly on such a small scale. One side is going to dominate the other just from having one or two extra men on the field. What they're doing showing up WITHOUT logistics support is beyond me.

So besides this extremely situational and ultimately inconsequential circumstance where there ISN'T a blood bath going on over every location of importance in the local area, dropping darts only HELPS. Now drop your gun for 3 seconds and shoot an LED into a good choke or point of contention like a GOOD player and stop acting like an overly offended tweenager when asked to do so.
  8. Freedym Fry

Good players always use recon darts. Smart players are good players that also know when not to. Sometimes it's better to be smart than to be good.
  9. EViLMinD

Of course some covert ops/situations require no darts. Goes without saying.

However, anyone in the know will understand when it's the right time to use 'em. THAT's what I'm here to remind people about.

The placement of darts is key. They belong on enemy spawns, capture points, terminals, tower, walls, gates, friendly armor columns, deployed sunderers and any vital choke point.

Darts can even be used as decoys. Sometimes I'll fire a couple darts into an area I want the enemy to go to while I sneak through another (or get ready for some sniping). I often toss out a decoy grenade, as well. This tactic has been successful on more than a few occasions.
  10. Moisture

I mostly dont spam them because not only is it time consuming its very often no necessary when. Its often VERY obvious where the enemies are and situational awareness takes cares of 75% of what makes it past.
    And 99% of the time what makes it past all that has really no impact on the battle. I save them for my own personal gain when moving to area or have any sort of doubt.

But I will spam them when playing in smaller engagements in the rare time I chose Infiltrator for them