Recon dart spam is YOUR duty

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by EViLMinD, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Mustarde

I mostly agree with the OP, it's immense help to your faction as well as your own performance to have good dart coverage. The only exceptions are when you don't have a nearby engineer/terminal or when leaving a blip on the map would hurt your stealth more than help.

But i think most of us know that. It's the people who never read a forum and just want to log in and kill a few people each night that aren't using the dart much.

107k kills, only 21k darts used. Yikes I need to improve my kill to dart ratio!!!
    • Up x 2
  2. Benevon

The darts don't really give away the 'position' so much as they alert enemies to the presence of an infiltrator. Now that can be detrimental when no other allies are around and trying to keep people from knowing you are there, but when you have groups of allies there is no reason to not use your darts.

I'm pretty sure an infi does not ping on the map when firing a dart like one would when firing an un-suppressed weapon, so firing a dart at an area where you currently are not might be a good idea. I've killed quite a few infis that shot a dart and stood right on top of it, I take a peek to see where they are and, when standing in the place I look, take a bullet to the skull.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vaphell

I'd swear that if you look at the minimap at the right moment, you get to see the dart flying from the point of origin to its destination. The point of origin obviously would be the infiltrator's position. Yes, it's less noticeable and more indirect than a plain red dot we used to have in the past, but it's there.
  4. Benevon

Hmm, I'll have look for that. Haven't seen it so far, but with so much going on as it is, I know I would surely miss it.
  5. EViLMinD

I think most of us do. Experience will show when it's the right time to use a dart. It's not rocket science, though. Hell... If I can figure it out - anyone can.

Nothing wrong with that ratio. Besides, your dart usage is excellent. GJ.

My dart count is 25k with 24 days as an Infiltrator. I think I'm earning my bonus checks.

Wish I had a better kill count, however. I need a decent PC for that. One that can deliver at least a steady 30fps. I love sniping but it can often be a frustrating task. Good thing recon darts don't require much accuracy.
  6. KillerGnolle

i made a video where you can see how to cover a techplant with RDD´s.

memorize theese spots and all is fine.
    • Up x 1
  7. Benevon

Which spots? You pretty much covered every square inch of that room with darts lol. Definitely a good way to know what's coming :D
  8. Rohxer

Hey I'm NC on your sever, and the only person on Waterson (of those listed on dasanfall) who's shot more darts than me (36k) is VS Nerdfest (49k!!). Looks like you're slacking to me, EViLMinD, you're only ranked 24th game-wide. ;)

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/486/

Of course I must agree with you though. When defending there is absolutely no excuse not to have the entire base dart-covered most of the time. They're not as important when attacking, since you generally know where defenders will come from, and harder besides without a dedicated resupply, but still useful - especially when covering the route between the defender's spawn and the your sunderer - but not _on_ the sunderer! unless you've obfuscated things by blanketing the whole area.

In large battles they reveal where clumps of enemies are, and more importantly, where they are streaming from (sunderer locations), when attacks or defense pushes are coming to generators and points, etc.

In small engagements they're even more powerful and easily turn the tide of battle and the intelligence they provide is worth more than a few extra bodies. When both sides use them it just sucks period for everyone and you have to deal, but when it's only your side using them it's an extreme advantage.

The catch of course is that you have to have someone who wants to run an infiltrator for the duration, since as soon as you swap classes your dart pings will vanish.
  9. Rohxer

LOL, 5 minutes = 300 seconds @ 1 dart every 3 seconds = 100 darts fired. You certainly made some engineers happy but I'm sure you realize you could have accomplished the same thing with only 7 darts... ;) Though I've been guilty of doing the same thing you did in similar circumstances. *Thinking to myself* "If I can stick a dart through that gap it'll cover a few more feet of perimeter.."
  10. KoS-1

Wait a minute. You can tell people whatever, but no one can tell you anything. Great!
  11. zaspacer

The Dart has gone through a number of changes over time.

The Dart used to only create a sound and leave a little yellow ball. Then they added a cycling expanding circle (blue for friendly, red for enemy) that shows on the Mini-Map (and Main Map). Then they added XP for kill made on enemy targets lit-up by the Dart. Then they added a blue aura around the Dart as it travels after it is fired that shows on the Mini-Map (NOTE: shooter could see this, can't remember who else). I am not sure if they made the Infiltrator show up with a Red Dot on the Mini-Map when firing the Dart at any time. They may have also adjust the number and duration of Darts at each Cert Level.

It also used to be destroyable by a Frag Grenade or Personnel Mine (can't remember which), but that seems to be gone now.

Currently the blue aura is gone and I only see the cycling blue/red circle, hear the sound, and get XP for lit enemies. Regardless, it's gone through a lot of changes and has been a very inconsistent and therefor confusing tool.

When I do Dart Duty (25K Darts on 57 hours played), it's usually a full-time job. And it requires coordinating a re-supply Source, and keeping a CQC Weapon at the ready in case enemies show up, and keeping track of where and how close the enemy lines are. and you can die a lot if the front lines are porous. And I also have the luxury of doing it with a fully Certed Recon Tool. A LOT of players just don't want to be stuck doing Dart Duty full time, and many of them don't have much if any Certs into Recon Tool.

Also, for defending Bio Labs, spawning a Flash w/ Max Certed Scout Radar is much better in pure coverage than Recon Tool (more area and can see Cloaked Infils). Just spawn it in the basement and park it (with you or someone else sitting in either seat) in the center of that basement. I've done it enough (especially during Alerts), and I've seen it hold back attackers that were 60-70% of the zone population.
  12. Rohxer

Yeah it did this for a while, but the last patch or two it was removed again. I *just* tested this literally 1 minute ago after reading your post, using my normal two machines, two accounts, two factions on side-by-side monitors.

Currently there is no visible indicator on the mini-map of the dart's point of origin or the path it takes to get to its destination. You will only see the circle pulsing where it lands.
  13. EViLMinD

You got it. Why? Because I'm right and those who give incompetent infs a pass are wrong. Dead wrong.

;)

Perhaps I should restate my view. Anyone can tell others what they think (provided it isn't creepy and psychotic). There is no harm in me reminding/brow beating dingbats. I can't make them useful allies. They'll do what they want. I have no authority over them (unfortunately).

Nevertheless, sometimes complaining stirs a few players to wake up and start doing their jobs. My angst ridden comments have some positive sway. Often, too. Could I be nicer about it? Of course... but... where's the fun in that?

Always remember what the wise old emperor P taught us - "Give in to your anger... Let the hate flow through you". Embracing the dark side is good. Goooood.
  14. Devilies

Darts is probably one of the most useful things you can cert as an Infiltrator. If you don't get that, pick another class.
    • Up x 2
  15. Gleerok

You can't be medic, infiltrator and engineer at the same time.

If you pick any of these classes, do your job.
    • Up x 2
  16. EViLMinD

Smart man.

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM THOSE WONDERFUL DARTS!
    • Up x 1
  17. Rikkit

Lately i see a lot of these darts on Miller. The ennemy use them, and I for my self spam them, on towers, to get 10xp per kill, or to hunt down a ennemy. Max ranked darts are a verry powerfull tool.
  18. JonboyX

I'm not an MLG player. But I very much think that:
    • if you're a medic, your best value to the team is healing and rezzing people
    • if you're an engineer, your best value is repairing maxes, dumping ammo, and fixing passing vehicles
    • if you're an infiltrator, darts are the most OP thing in the game and you should just spam a proximity radius whenever you can
    Light assault, heavy and maxes are the classes best suited to killing. Use them if you want to focus on shooting things for a bit.
    I am sure we lose so many bases because people are more focussed on ADS'ing some distant target than just doing the basics in the 5 square metres around them. Too many people try to use support classes as a universal soldier :(
    • Up x 1
  19. Mageever

I've been in battles lately where I've just decided I'm not spamming the darts because I'm not training for a marathon anymore. If the prodigious amounts of engineers out there can't drop ammo and don't respond to requests because there having too much fun with turrets, then I can't help you.

I guess it's nice to be wanted, but recognize there's a balance in this. I'm noticing more and more high level players ******** an moaning for other players to cater to them so much that it ruins the game. I had to go from infil to medic the other day just to shut up a BR100 whiner that wanted to be rez'd at a quiet control point after a battle. He actually "****ing demand" someone to change to medic to revive him. There's teamwork and then there's the entitlement that some players have. Think about which you are when you start ranting in a game. If there are people not doing their jobs then explain what's needed and don't be a ******* about it. They're usually just new players.

SOE, please install some terminals to reduce the whining.
  20. EViLMinD

It's a two way deal. When an allie is in need, I'll always swap class to help if no one else will or can. When my MAX suit needs a repair or a res, I expect the same courtesy. It's part of being on a team. You pay attention to what is happening around you. You look for gaps. You do what needs to be done.

Players who ignore the needs of their comrades are flakes. Wastes of space. Losers. So, I don't care if they get offended when I tell them they are crap for not being attentive. If someone doesn't want to be a good allie, I don't feel I have to be polite. I'll just save my niceness for the players who give a damn about our faction winning an objective.

For a team to succeed, you need everyone to focus up. I've played this game enough to know how essential it is. It sucks when you're in a fight with equal pops but your side is losing horribly because there are no decent support players.

Sometimes, you gotta slap people upside the head to get them to wake the F up. Being gentle doesn't work too well. Chew a few idiots out and you'll usually get the result you need. Shame... a subservient disposition... shock... whatever it is. People notice rage better.

If ignorant/lazy/selfish players can't handle legitimate criticisms from their allies then they should probably go play a single-player game.