Recommend mechanical keyboard for much good (wow) use in Planetside 2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DashRendar, Apr 25, 2015.

1. DashRendar

Sorry for the lame title, I see the off-topic forums are gone now, and the mods are extremely strict about off-topic posting here. My hands are tied, I didn't decide to get rid of the off-topic forum, and this site is where I go to for gaming. So in light of this I had to title it this way in hopes thread will not be shut down before an answer is given.

I'm browsing newegg for a new keyboard to replace my current one. My current keyboard is basically a 2x6 plank of particle board with many doorbell switches fashioned to it and each sharpied its appropriate symbol. I'm looking for a keyboard with Cherry switches, and I've got a budget between 100-150, I don't know what brands are good. I like a keyboard to be heavy, aside from just liking heavy things because it feels like you got more for your money, I don't like my keyboard sliding all around the desk, which is a problem I have with lighter keyboards.
  2. Ballto21

I like the Logitech G510.

The only issues ive ever had with it is one of my keys stopped working (easy fix) and some of the keys were hard to depress, but that was just because i sit weirdly and my fingers press keys at an angle/
  3. wrenched

steelseries have a rep for being heavy.

Personally I didn't love the cherry blacks (too stiff for my womanly fingers) but otherwise the steelseries 6gv2 ($100 aud so $cheap USD) is good. I prefer cherry reds. Most gamers seem to like reds/blacks or sometimes browns.
  4. Jawarisin

I've played gunz the duel on this keyboard for over 8 years. I'm typing a lot on it. I've used it extensively for gaming, and it's still the one keyboard I use after over a decade. It's the one keyboard that NEVER broke. I've tapped my keys enough to go over the normal limit of a keyboard a hundred times over.

It's hard to find, but the best I could do is find a picture of it with a tower beside. So pay heed only to the keyboard.
    [IMG]

My friends kill me every time I talk about my keyboard. But I love it and it's never broke on me so...
    I'd recommend it anytime though I know it has it's issues.
  5. Tommyp2006

Anything with Cherry MX brown keys will have a good balance of tactile feel and smooth keystrokes. I use MX blues, but they aren't as nice for games as they key design makes them difficult to rapidly tap. Reds are the best for fast key movements, but I don't like how they're just a smooth motion from top to bottom, you can't feel the activation point of the key at all.
  6. Dudeman325420

I love my Logitech G910. The individual key lighting is just too cool!

Here's a good article that compares Cherry MX switches to the G910's Romer-G.
  7. Hatesphere

I have an off brand mechanics that works well, but it uses the MX browns and its been a good experience. the switch type can be a big thing for some people, it can change the whole feel. the cherry browns though are pretty nice IMO. some other things to look into when looking at a keyboard other then the switch type. make sure it has anti ghosting. ghosting make it so when you press to many keys they dont register. usually a bad keyboard will top out at 3 keys are once, and its pretty easy to press more then 3 keys at once while playing planet side or other games.
  8. Iridar51

Been using the Razer Blackwidow 2013 stealth edition for the past year. It's my first mechanical keyboard, so I don't have much to compare to. But recently I spent a night at my bro's, and I've noticed how sluggish his membrane keyboard feels compared to mechanical one.

My keyboard is compact and heavy. It has macro functions, but I never had a reason to use them. Perhaps a bit overpriced, but I don't regret buying it.
  9. iccle

10. niuzaia

11. JibbaJabba

Go optical switches.
  12. ican'taim

...this is an 8 year old thead
  13. Demigan

8 more and it can enlist in the military!
    • Up x 1
  14. tigerchips

Always make sure it's water resistent. I've got a Logitech K120, just a cheap one, apart from a few worn keys it has lasted ages.
  15. ThanksPS2

I kinda miss my Corsair K65 with Cherry MX Speed switches. I'd go for something similar to that unless you absolutely can't use linear switches.