RECAP: Friday Night Ops - Episode 18

Discussion in 'Friday Night Ops' started by Luperza, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Copain

No, it really wasn't anything special. You need to take off your nostalgia glasses and realize that. The game wasn't anything special, it just had the development time to end up as something special. Not to say the game wasn't different, because an open world shooter is pretty cool, but to say "OH THIS WAS THE MASTERPIECE" is ********. It only became that good because they made stuff for it over time to make it like that. The way you say that makes it obvious you weren't there for the launch of that game and really don't understand what development time means.

In ten years this game will be far past PS1 because it'll have equal development time with more people working on it. What your average "vet" (I really hate that term, you can say that just because you downloaded a game, woopie) seems to think is that the game should have had everything PS1 had and all the stuff PS1 had in it right away without realizing how a lot of that stuff doesn't really work with most people or how long it can take to make these things.

If you want to claim Planetside 1 launched with everything it had at the end of its lifespan and they just never patched it or something, I'm going to laugh at you.
  2. Luperza Community Manager

Nope! FNO is still in full force. Now, I will be dedicating even more time to it!! Woot! :) You'll see this even with the upcoming episode!
    • Up x 1
  3. Copain

Are you still going to have the same amount of insight, if not more? As a designer you were able to talk about things you were making or the team was working on just because you were used to it, but now that you're not part of that team..
  4. Luperza Community Manager

Yeah, I'm not able to actually "make" the things, but I am still part of a lot of the discussions and I get to see EVERYTHING they check in. :) I'll be VERY involved in design feedback as much as I can without them yelling at me. :p
    • Up x 1
  5. Rockit

Hopefully you can get a full production crew for FNO now too. Good luck with it, you do a good job!
  6. LaRoaZ

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I imagine SOE Employees arent privy to talk about the internal company whatsamawitzits.

Noone is being laid off. Maggie is simply changing her role. Calm down.
  7. Kize

I would believe that if it was confirmed but the fact someone who plays such an important role with the community ect.. is relocated like this is kind of a bad sign. Could possibly be a sign of the game already beginning the slow cutting process they did with many of their other games. I mean Everquest Next could always use very talented / energetic and involved developers to make sure it is launched correctly =D... of course not at the expense of FNO (right now anyway)
  8. sosolidshoe

Just please don't turn into Tiggs.
  9. Gavyne

Well even though I'd much rather Luperza be a designer as she seems to be level-headed and smart, the Planetside team much needed a community rep that plays and knows this game. Someone that can be a medium between the playerbase and the developers. This way she can talk to the playerbase more, which was much needed on the forums. She can also pass on our ideas, complaints, and bug reports, while defusing fire by telling us they're indeed working on such & such.

Right person for the right position imo.
  10. Luperza Community Manager

That's only partially what I am now doing, but pretty spot on homie and I appreciate all the support. ;)
    • Up x 1
  11. Daimond

Heres a snipit from this link, you should really do some reading before opening your mouth. Game did not develop over 10 years game was released May 2003 last real update to the game was in October 2004, Not much els happened to the game after this, game basicaly stayed about the same for the rest of its time, they continued some Ballancing, tweaking how the latics worked, and the only real addition to the game out side of the list below was the Skyguard.
    But to hear fools like you that try and talk about a game you clearly dont know about is sad, you should lest do some reasurch on something before talking. Just becuase I wish them to play there own game and learn from there pas, and not go off games that are passed on and over fast in there life, and want more from this game as its predessesor, is nostalgic, fine. But There is tons of people on these forums that are in the same boat then, and think they should of lest took more from the game but its name. I dont know if you have seen, but pops are swindaling already in this game, and thats cuase its boaring and realy dlivers not much of anythign special.
    Well enough said, will not be replying to you again, just do some reading never know might learn a few things.
    PS I dont mean just from this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlanetSide
    Core Combat
    On October 27, 2003, SOE released Core Combat, the only true expansion for PlanetSide.
    • Six new massive underground war zones ranging from volcanic lava flows to ice caverns.
    • New Ancient-technology vehicles and weapons which can be used by all Empires
    • Head-to-Head Urban style combat in subterranean cities
    • Unique alien complexes to explore and conquer
    • Ancient technology can be used by all Empires to upgrade existing surface level facilities
    • A new Module Benefit System, granting special abilities to the player's faction
    The Bending

On August 14, 2004, possibly due to experiments with Ancient Technology, the planet Auraxis has undergone a process known as The Bending, and has been reconstructed as a system of smaller planets scattered throughout the cosmos. These planets are still linked by the original warpgate system. One of the main islands of Auraxis, Oshur, has been destroyed and replaced by a series of small 'Battle Islands'.
    Aftershock

On October 18, 2004 SOE released PlanetSide: Aftershock, PlanetSide bundled with Core Combat using a new build of the game. Aftershock introduced Battle Frame Robotics (BFRs), large, heavily-armed walking vehicles similar to those found in BattleTech.
    PlanetSide Reserves

From March 24, 2006 to March 24, 2007 SOE launched the PlanetSide Reserves program. The program allowed anyone to download the game and play for free. All characters in the Reserves were limited to Battle Rank 6 and Command Rank 2, as well as other restrictions. Players were able to convert to a paying account at any time. As of August 1, 2007 the game developers are discussing whether or not to bring back the PlanetSide Reserves program to renew interest in their game.[citation needed] As part of the launch of PlanetSide Reserves, all paying accounts were upgraded to include all Aftershock content. The Reserves program ended sometime prior to December 10, 2008, and is not currently available as of 2012.[3]
  12. Copain

Because we all know the first game was the biggest success in the world, right?
  13. Arcanum

Stop arguing with Copain. It's pointless.
  14. LaRoaZ

Nothing has been confirmed either way, and there probably wont be any confirmation either way.

How is it a bad sign? do you have experience working in a large game development company? Or any large corporation at all? Do you know what their corporate culture is like? Do you know what the atmosphere of their office environment is like?

For all we know it was her idea.

There is no indication of this whatsoever. This is guesswork and speculation. This is stuff people made up that they think makes sense. It is not fact.

People say forum necromancy is bad. Forum Conjuration is worse. There is no secret message. Some things dont have a deeper meaning.
  15. Sinoby

Hey Margaret, congratz on your new role - sounds like fun :)
    A quick question - is it possible to have more deveoper feedback on official forums? Not everyone follows twitter and read reddit/PSU forums. I believe it would be nice for the forum comunity to have more frequent posts from developers here.
    Thanks in advance ))
  16. Luperza Community Manager

Yeah, I'm working on that incentive. ;)
    • Up x 1