rebalance infiltrators

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VeryCoolMiller, May 6, 2019.

1. pnkdth

No, they do not. They have a lower SPH with a deceptively high KDR. Nothing you have offered indicates they are imbalanced or are "destroying" any aspect of the game. Unless your aim is to show they're actually pretty ineffective when compared to other classes.
    • Up x 1
  2. Campagne

Well to be fair anyone even mostly competent will absolutely have a major advantage as an infiltrator with a bolt-action or even semi-auto over any other class.

If tanks and air and company don't waste any infantry outside infiltrators absolutely will.

Not to say they are strictly imbalanced per say, (at least not with rifles in my opinion), but they can be extremely powerful while requiring only a relatively moderate amount of skill and effort at times. Bads do next to nothing and the vets mop the floor.
  3. GraphicJ

heh heh its good to be back
  4. pnkdth

He wasn't very fair though, was he?

Yes, a sniper will have an advantage at range. It is all a part of the rock-paper-scissor aspect of PS2. The HA dominates the CQC game (as we see in the data presented as well), the LA other than their vertical movement and has a unique way of tackling armor/MAX units, etc etc.

What requires skill and what doesn't is debatable. Personally, I'd take any of the full-auto precision weapons over a semi-automatic, rarely ever die to snipers (even able to contend with them using a 4x BASR). Furthermore, just as there are skilled snipers who are very dangerous we have players who absolutely wreck faces as HA in closer ranged engagements (while being much more efficient) and with other classes and vehicles.

In other words, until someone posts compelling data and/or videos of infiltrators having become the scourge of Auraxis I don't see any need to single out infiltrators in this way.
  5. typnct

only double?, dang infils nowadays dont even try

anyway, the only problem is the snipers, they have no counter, any other type of infils was pretty much fixed this last patch, i dont see any infils shoot while still cloacked - i am surprised by myself as i hated that class so much untill lately
    so now its pretty much cool imo

the only thing that is missing now is a counter to infiltrators at long range(aka snapahrz), nothing can really take em out as they have the superior advantage, stealth+long range
    getting close range isnt always possible, now before you bash me with ahhhh you can counter it with vehicles and planes and be an infil yourself and killl him, he has 900 health you have more!!!!, this is as inaccurate info as you can give for this topic, infils can get 1250/1200 worth of health - carapse+20%+aux shield/res kit and this whole argument is gone, infils become the same health as any class with all the benifits and more
    vehicles by themselfes cant be really called a counter to infils, they are a counter to all infantry, but not really a threat to long range snipers, lets be real here
    when was the last time someone came with a vehicle to specifically kill an infil and wasted 350 450 nanites for it? not worth it!

give us the scope that can sniff them out at long range at least at 300 200 meters(a viable long lost counter)
  6. That_One_Kane_Guy

Right? I take a six month Battlefield break and come back to the same B.C.M. whiners on loop like I never left. Someone should make an NC MAX thread for old times' sake, then the cycle can be complete.

Seriously though on my first day back I was in a 100-player fight on Esamir and I was able to engage in firefights with a Battle Rifle Medic at long range. Incredibly me, the large number of friendlies around me, and the enemies we were shooting were able to take cover, prosecute firefights, cooperate, breathe, etc. without dying from 600 simultaneous headshots from the invisible death ninjas which I have been assured populate the hills of every server. In fact I went through that entire first session without being sniped once. Maybe the ninjas are all European?
  7. DarkStarAnubis

it does make sense.

An Infiltrator sniping 300 meters away is unreachable by any weapons except another sniper rifle, battle rifles, some scout rifles and possibly the Blackhand, all dedicated and specialized weapons, so sniping is relatively safe. Even safer considering that finding a sniper takes time and you expose yourself while searching.

If you snipe from the spawn-room is 100% safe so you could theoretically achieve an infinite KDR if you wish.

Anyway, why should that bother you?

If you play to have an high KDR then the solution is in front of your eyes: play sniper. If you want to make a difference on the battlefield then you have plenty of other roles (HA, LA, Medic, Engineer in no particular order) where you can help your faction.

When I play Medic for example I almost never shoot and I am killed (and rezzed) often. KDR sucks but I make tons of certs. You can choose.

PS2 is a sandbox, find your play-style and have fun.
  8. VeryCoolMiller

NC maxes have been rebalanced 2 months ago.
  9. That_One_Kane_Guy

Do you know what that whooshing sound is?
  10. VeryCoolMiller

Now on Miller
    [IMG]
  11. Scroffel5

Here is the problem with people saying snipers have no counter. They do. All you have to do to screw up an infil is to shoot at him. Any weapon will do. Shoot at his direction and he is screwed. He knows you know where he is, and a smart infil now has to move or make do with what he has got. Another disadvantage to sniping is that you have to be outdoors, unless using a CQC sniper. That in itself makes sniping harder. Snipers are loud, slow weapons. Anyone who is smart can recognize the sound of a sniper and the direction, and would go searching for him. That in itself contributes to the battle, killing people and taking them away from the conflict to go find you.

Is it relatively safe sniping? Yes and no. You are far enough away that your main threats are just more sniper infils, but anything that damages you is a big threat. An HA with a battle rifle? Threat. A Light Assault with an AC-X11? Threat. An ESF or tank? Threat. Why are any of these a threat? Because they are relentless, and a few well placed shots is the death of you. I rarely get sniped. I know what to do when I am being shot at by a sniper, as I am a sniper. I also know that the sniper is now the biggest threat, because he will be taking out my teammates one by one and forcing us to go look for him. He will keep shooting our engineers when our sundy is low, and he will keep shooting our HA's when someone comes to attack. An infiltrator with a sniper is dangerous, but they have a counter. Everyone is their counter. A good infil knows that when someone shoots at them, they lost their position and their element of surprise.

You can complain about snipers all you want, but in a real battle, where would a sniper be? He would be far away, picking off targets. However, when he is spotted, he knows he needs to move, and now the other side knows there is a sniper in their area. In Planetside 2, cloaking is thrown into the mix. I think that the original developers knew that you needed an escape plan once you get spotted, and they tried to balance it with less health.

I do not think that infiltrators need to be rebalanced. Their KDR would be higher if they never get killed. However, you shouldn't say they need a rebalance just because of stats such as KDR. It's all up to gameplay to see rebalancing. Infiltrators are fine as is. They are easier to kill in a face to face scenario. Their advantage against other classes is stealth, but once you lose that stealth, you are already a bullet down. Being an infiltrator requires you to learn to aim for the head even more than other classes. It means you have to position yourself better than the other classes. It means you have to dodge better than the other classes. It means you have to never miss. It means you have to make your kills fast and silent. With all that stacked against you, I don't see the need to rebalance them.
  12. AlmightyGeorge

The knife thing is bar-none the worst aspect of an infiltrator. I find its TTK on heavies, especially paired with implants, far to overpowered and super client-sided.
  13. VeryCoolMiller

we probably play on a different server... if i shoot at an infiltrator i simply give him my position and i die (at least at distance). Sorry but you infi guys don't realise how op your class is at the moment. It's becoming frustrating play infantry outdoor... there are so many infiltrators that as soon you start to fire you receive a bullet in your head from no-where
  14. MUTALISKUS

remove from game infiltrators !!!
  15. That_One_Kane_Guy

Then get closer. If all you're doing is giving yourself away by shooting at him then hold your fire until you are close enough that he either dies in the first burst or is hurt badly enough that he's not thinking of shooting back.
    If all you're doing is spraying a carbine at 100m and wondering why you're looking at the spawn screen all of a sudden, that's a BCM issue.
    *According to you and your three snapshots of a server population with only KDR as context, of course.*
    Remember kids it doesn't matter how many kills you get as long as you die the least!
    Yeah I think you have the only server with 600 invisible assassins on every hill, bud. Either that or my unmatched ability to move slightly renders me immune to their wizard powers. If you're interested I give lessons for Microsoft Points.
    • Up x 2
  16. Hegeteus

This tirade again? Instead of posting 100 threads, stop going where the fence is lowest and improve your own gameplay. Tools to counter infils exist, and those who aren't super lazy can use them well. Or they simply won't be blind as a bat and will require infiltrators to slow their pace down to keep stealthy.

I believe I posted tips on what to use against infiltrators in the previous thread, but apparently it was easier to continue whining. Just play infil yourself, aim for a good SPH and take notes on why you'll get rekt with it.
    • Up x 1
  17. VeryCoolMiller

If you are not interested you can skip this thread. There are not tool to counter an infiltrator, but pick another infiltrator.
  18. ObiVanuKenobi

KDR isn't the only thing that matters, you have to look at it together with SPM/KPM. Infiltrators have access to sniper rifles, you're far less likely to die while sniping because normal weapons simply can't reach you resulting in higher KDR and often lower SPM/KPM.
  19. Demigan

The LA is a counter for example. But how about you explain to us how you want to rebalance the infiltrator? Take away his stealth or snipers? Make weapon sway obnoxiously powerful?

I dont think this should be solved by nerfing the Infil. We should just add things to other classes instead. Medics that can place large shields as cover (Medics are excellent candidates for damage prevention and it would fit the class and its roles better than Engi's), or use the distorting effect of stealth bubbles as a mechanic: you deploy something or activate an ability and the farther players are the more distorted the area looks, making it harder to hit players from range. New scandevices, an additional shield that protects you if you stand still for a few moments, deployable strips that create thin walls of smoke to Block vision that might even block spots and more. There's enough idea's to not only counter the infiltrators but also increase teamplay options between any player.
    • Up x 2
  20. VeryCoolMiller

I like your idea! Maybe the field should be an aura ? , so it can moves with the medic ? outdoor fights are not static as the indoor fights.