Reaver vs scythe balance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheRealNattyIcePS4, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Imp C Bravo

Now this is the type of analysis I can get behind! So much logic! Rest of forums takes note.

So we established that the Reaver has better vertical thrust and larger hit box from 66% of angles.

I see a few people say that the Scythe is more maneuverable. A lot of maneuverability is based around vertical thrust which the Reaver would win at. How are the Scythe and Reaver as far as Yaw, Pitch, and Roll comparably?
  2. TheRealNattyIcePS4

Pitch yaw and roll are same on all 3

Yes the scythe technically has the biggest top hitbox but i would still say the reaver has it worse because all its mass is in a concentrated spot where as the scythe has a medium sized center piece and 4 small pieces creating sort of a "H" shape.
  3. Jubikus

A while back i did the math for the overall performance on all 3 ESF with a combined total of the performance of all their weapons and the Reaver and Scythe are surprisingly well balanced as their overall performance was only a 1.65% difference in scythes favor. unfortunately the Mossy was 9.05% below the reaver and 10.7% below the scythe at the time despite being pulled more than the other 2 and i believe this is mostly do the the under performance of the banshee as its a far cry from its counterparts.
  4. Taemien

One of you says the Scythe is performing the best (if by a small neglible margin). The other says its the worst.

Both of you can't be right. These statements are mutually exclusive. Lets actually see them numbers both of you are referring to.
  5. Imp C Bravo

Arguable. Smaller compact mass in the center means it is easier to dodge fire from above/below when moving. On the scythe near misses can turn into hits because of it. Regardless -- if the Pitch, Yaw, and Roll on the ESFs are all the same and the Reaver has the best vertical thrust -- then wouldn't it be the most maneuverable? Given the area sizes of the ESFs -- isn't the scythe the hardest to hit? And given speed isn't the Mosquito the fastest?

Cause now that we are nailing down differences -- seems like we are starting to run counter to Asymetrical balance. Do we really want all the ESFs to be the same?
  6. TheRealNattyIcePS4

No, but the scythe is outperforming by insane margins
  7. Jubikus

Well like i said in my post my stats were older. The current effectiveness of all 3 ESF are as fallow Reaver is top beating the Scythe by 8.5% effectiveness and the Mossy by 12% effectiveness and then of course leaves the difference between the scythe and Mossy at 3.5% in the Scythes favor. These stats are from http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthlystats/ based on the combined KPU, Vkpu, and Akpu of every single weapon of all 3 ESF to get an overall effectiveness of each platform. Well at least the best we can do with raw stats there are always unknown factors such as average player skill that can make a platform look slightly worse or better than it actually is but we cant measure that.
  8. T0x1s

Best rocket pods you say?
    ¨

I did some calculations on this.

TR * Damage per magazine: 40016+(17516) => 6400+2800=9200 * DPS 300/60*400=2000
    NC * Damage per magazine: 55012+(25012)=9600 * DPS 218/60*550=1998
    VS * Damage per magazine: 47514+/17514)=9100 * DPS 253/60*475=2002
    As we can see here Damage per mag is lowest for VS but they have the highest DPS. TR have 100 more damage in each mag than VS and 2 more damage in DPS compared to Breaker. NC have 9600 damage in each mag. That is 400 more damage than TR and 500 more damage than VS.
    VS have 4 extra DPS than NC and TR have 2 extra DPS than NC. Is those 2-4 extra DPS worth it compared to NC 400-500 extra damage per mag size.
    I can only see down sides using TR Hellfire or Photon pods compared to NC Breaker pods.
    I wonder if there is anything i have missed here calculating these stats so please tell me if i am wrong and Hellfire/Photon pods benefits.

And best speed you say? What If I told you that the Reaver got the best speed thanks to its afterburner. A Mossie cant outrun a Reaver.
  9. Taemien

Truth be told, your post was quite a bit less trolly than the other, so I trusted your analysis. Would be interesting if the other guy has the gall to debate said stats.
  10. SilverTR

You know the OP is talking about console,right?
  11. SoljVS

Why are we talking ground farming capability. Ground farming is stupidly easy no matter what AI weapon you choose on any faction. Hell yesterday I got bored and pulled a 148-12 session (in a heavily flakked lock-on spammed area) with rotary and hornets cause its just E Z mode. I thought the OP was referring to the advantage of the flatness of the scythe in hover dueling and the fact it has the easiest default gun and he thinks the reaver should be more in line.

I use to have alot of trouble hitting the scythes frame but it comes with time, the bane of my existence though is a kiddie pool guy (usually with an inflated sense of skill due to abuse of the scythe frame) in a saron scythe spamming ascend/descend while keeping range. I think they should decrease the saron bullet velocity to make up for the frame of the scythe. 700m/s I say is good.
  12. T0x1s

Oh yea why am I talking ground farming capability on a ground farming weapon... idiot
  13. Zombo

lol cry me a river, at least you can still shoot at enemy air ith the banshee, try that with a LPPA

the ground farming weapons are balanced, the old banshee was stupidly OP gibbing maxes before they even could react or run away, while you have to shoot a max with a LPPA for about 10 seconds before it gets killed

Mossie Banshee: good range, good bullet velocity, bad farming capability
    Scythe LPPA: good range, terrible bullet velocity, good farming capability
    Reaver Airhammer: terrible range, good bullet velocity, good farming capability

if you want to farm Infantry just use rocketpods like every sane person

oh and BTW, the mossie is really hard to hit when tailing it AND when being head-on against it, the scythe is stupidly easy to hit while you tail it, but extremely hard up front, the reaver has the largest hitbox, but is the ultimate reverse-maneuver fighter and can use the highest vertical thrust of all of the ESFs, i'd say they are really good balanced
  14. cheesepuffs324

I swear to god if the VS and NC factions b1tch one more time about their equipment I am going to flip out. The TR have no weapons that you can even begin to call overpowered, while the NC have the best ESF's, ravens, and vangaurd shields, and the vs have the betelgeuse, which is ridiculously better than the other factions directive machineguns. The TR need to be seriously buffed or the VS and NC need to get nerfed. Hard.
  15. TheRealNattyIcePS4

Jaguar, mswr, prowler has highest dps (without lockdown), pounders and a bunch of other stuff.
  16. CorporationUSA

I'm guessing you mean fair 1v1 duels, and not just hoverdueling in general.

I like your post, but you should realize that the top 1% of pilots are mostly considered the enemy here. Many people on this forum would sooner see them quit the game than have any input on its balance. I'm not in the top 1%, but I post here with what I do know to keep things from being very one-sided. The best pilots don't often post here, which is weird because they are the ones who are likely to feel the most affect from poor balance tweaks to the air game.

And I think, at its core, PS2 was always intended to be a very easy game with a low skill-ceiling. That is probably the only way an MMOFPS can survive because they need lots of players to stick around. Somehow the air game gets away with having a high skill-ceiling, but I wouldn't be surprised if the devs would sooner choose to **** it over improving it. Maybe we'll get lucky and they will recognize that the air game is something special and package it into a separate non-MMO game before they inevitably shut PS2 down. That's probably wishful thinking though.
  17. Imp C Bravo

Hmm. Two very directly contrary statements. I wonder which one is true. Jubikus I do like the fact you took the time to support it. You say it is based on combined x, y, and z. I would like to know the exact way you calculated this percentage for "outperforming."
  18. Jubikus

Its pretty simple i added up the KPU for every weapon of each aircraft and calculated the difference between them.
  19. Lord_Avatar

"Bad farming capability" stands for "ineffective against it's intended target" which makes the weapon suck. Plain and simple. Subpar AA potential is no saving grace at all since there are far better options available.
  20. TheRunDown

So when does the Mossy get a Balance so it's weapon can do anything close to other ESFs weapons?
    The max damage of all TR ESF weapons is 200, the minimum damage of the NC and VS ESF is 210-230..

When will this get balanced?