Really!? Tank Mine won't blow up next to each other!??

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by BlazingTiger, Dec 23, 2013.

1. BlazingTiger

I take a lot of pride in hunting down the Sunderes that are attacking our base. Without them, the enemy have a very hard time capturing a base. I have so many ways to try to kill those Sunderes once I've spotted them. With each changes, it gets harder.

The drop pod was the fastest way of getting to the enemy's Sundere. But when that was changed, I had to fall back on other strategies. Other way was to get a vehicle and do a suicidal drive to the enemy's Sundere and hop out and destroy it. You get the picture. BUT NOW, the Dev went ahead and changed how you blow up the Tank Mines. Normally I would just throw my sticky grenade and that'll mostly do the job. Well turns out, sticky grenade doesn't blow up Tank Mines anymore! Ok, I can live with that...cause I can still shoot it. WTF!??? To my surprised, shooting 1 Tank Mine doesn't blow up the other mine next to it. DOH!!! What the hell now!? Between shooting each mines, the chance of me living long enough to do that is much much lower. It takes time to drop those mines, now I have to shoot each one of them separately! SIGH...why was this changed necessary??
    • Up x 5
  2. deggy

Sounds like you wanted to solo a defended forward spawn. You're not supposed to be able to do that.

It's a MINE, not a BOMB.
    • Up x 4
  3. Archiadus

That's exactly why they should be able to set each other off, it's a MINE not a firecracker.
    • Up x 9
  4. stalkish

Whats more anoying is mines not detonating when enemies run over them, even after the patch note ''fixed tank mines'' ive still seen vehicles drive right over my mines and not detonate them, so anoying, especialy when a tank is following you and youve lead them right into your mine trap.
    As for mines not detonating from each other, not that bothered, it takes at most 3 more seconds to shoot the other ones its still super easy to take out an AMS. We're lucky we can do that, back in PS1 shooting mines caused them to fizzle out in a puff of smoke, no detonation, althought placing them near a enemy ams would cause detonation but you had to actualy place them, not toss them like frizbees.
    • Up x 3
  5. FocusLight

Completely irrelevant to the point. It's an explosive and should be set off by nearby explosions. Ergo, two mines and one grenade should see the grenade blow up both mines, but now that's no longer the case.

Riddle me this: If my sticky grenade will not blow up any of the mines, if one mine won't detonate another, WHY CAN MY BULLETS DETONATE THE MINES AT ALL?

This is an example of SOE taking logic out behind the bushes to shoot it in the head and leave it to rot. It makes no sense that bullets are somehow a magical trigger but other explosives are not.
    • Up x 14
  6. Astriania

This definitely doesn't make sense.
    • Up x 4
  7. deggy

I ran over a mine yesterday and it blew up. It was just one mine, though, so I was happy instead of being sad :p
  8. stalkish

O ye your right, an outfit m8 (with mineguard) drove over 3 mines yesterday in order to quickly detonate them and get them out the way of our other tanks, but its not consistent, maybe the deploy time sometimes bugs out to infinity i just dont know, all i know is i watched a mag and a lightning drive over my mines on 2 seperate occasions yesterday with no detonation. The lightning even reversed back over my mines after killing me, watched it happen on the death screen.
  9. FateJH

As an Engineer who wants to see tank mines move away from being IEDs and into a more proper tank mine-like role, I welcome this change, on the expectation that more changes in the same vein follow.

(The only part that does bug me now is that a whole minefield can be underminded by a vehicle rolling over just one. I guess "stack of two" is still the preference option for now.)
    • Up x 2
  10. Klypto

This is the ccorret way to prevent people from soloing sunderers with mines. Way better than the proximity immunity when placed.
  11. RHINO_Mk.II

Mineguard was the correct way to prevent people from soloing sunderers. Now there is no reason to not run blockade armor on a spawning sunderer.
    • Up x 11
  12. Lamat

Also, now you can't place a bouncing betty with tank mine by friendly vehicle terminals as insurance they wont fall into enemy hands. I suppose C4 will still do the trick.
  13. blampoet

all the changes so far (concerning potential sundi destruction) have been consistent, it seems one guy should not be able to change the enemies whole operation.

they've removed one after the other the top ways sundi used to be destroyed by a solo-ist
    2 bricks of C4 no longer are enough (who knows how long 3 will be enough)
    self detonated mines no longer work
    spawn drop in combination with either of the above has also be disabled
    buffed the basilisk (for those pesky lightning and MBT soloists)

remember the tagline for this game? "size matters"
    there are a million different ways in which a 2 man team can take out a sundi easily....

:'( for the lose of those tasty certs
    :D for having a better co-op game
    • Up x 2
  14. Archiadus

You can still solo a sundy it just takes a second longer then before ;)

I believe that if 1 player manages to get past your whole line of defense and there's no one defending the most important vehicle to your faction's advance ( as usual ) then that 1 player should have the right to make it go boom.

I've defended sunderers before and all it takes is 1 maybe 2 people to stay behind and no enemy will be able to kill your sunderer ( granted that the people left behind can aim properly / have some map awareness )
    • Up x 2
  15. Feench

This change does more than harm the sunny mine tactic. Now that mines don't blow up from explosives it negates the Claympre-tank mine combo for anti max traps. Also removes those times where you in throw a grenade in a full room and set off a chain of explosions.

Tank mining was a legitimate tactic and there was no reason to remove it. Doing so causes more harm than good. It's not like it was a risk free move to charge a sundy and drop mines. There should be people guarding any important sundy in the first place. Plus this doesn't even remove a single persons ability to remove a sundy it just means you have to switch to c4 which I used mainly anyway.
    • Up x 5
  16. blampoet

a second is a long time in a game where CQC TTKs are measured in fracture of a second :)
    but ur counting only the trigger pulling moment, i'm looking at the longer time it now takes to get to the sundi and the buff the fury and basilisk got.

never the less, I agree, if you're all alone around the sundi, it's still possible to kill one solo... but that's during a heated mass-assault, where such an explosion could really make a difference.

comparably... now long does it take to:
    drop 2 mines and shot 1 of them vs. attaching 3 bricks of C4 (on the rear of the sundi) & detonating it

I rekon, 2-2.5 seconds compared with 4-5 seconds (but that's only a guesstimation)

I believe, a sundi that survives longer=bigger battles.
  17. lyravega

By your logic, entire minefields should blow up when one of them gets triggered.

True, but other splash damage can clean the mines while a sticky grenade / mine explosion doesn't. There is no consistency in that.
  18. Jeslis

I just want to comment that it takes SEVEN (7) bricks of C4 to kill a 4/4 blockade armor sunderer... Not 3.
  19. Archiadus

It's not like I'm saying that they need to have the same blast radius as real mines but I believe it's safe to say that a tank mine that can harm you from (roughly guessed own experience) 3-5m away should at least have the ability to trigger another tank mine that's literally right next to it, right?
    • Up x 1
  20. Ryekir

I'd be okay with this if we could deploy a sufficient amount of mines (10-20) and had an indicator letting us know how many mines are still active.

The problem here is that since the mines don't trigger each other, placing two AT mines together doesn't work either, unless the vehicle happens to trigger them both. If it drives over one, but the second one is just far enough away to not get triggered (or doesn't simply because they still seem to be buggy), then the second mine is wasted and the trap is ineffective.

The correct way to prevent people from soloing Sunderers with mines is equipping minegaurd, but players can't be bothered to actually use the direct counter to anything... (or actively defend it)
    IF players are to be prevented from using AT mines on stationary vehicles, the problem is that this change also negatively affects how the AT mines are intended to be used (i.e. triggered when a vehicle runs them over)